union believes Raiders' offseason workouts broke rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

union believes Raiders' offseason workouts broke rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

union believes Raiders' offseason workouts broke rules

Postby mrblitz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:12 pm

NFL players' union believes Raiders' offseason workouts broke rules
Associated Press

Updated: June 15, 2007, 8:06 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders canceled the final week of their offseason training program Friday after complaints from the NFL players' union about the intensity of the practices.

In a brief statement, coach Lane Kiffin said the players' union believes the Raiders' offseason program violated league rules on practice standards.

"The union has complained about the high level of intensity, player aggressiveness and fast pace of our practices and, as a result, has taken away the final week of our offseason program," said Kiffin, the NFL's youngest and least experienced head coach.

The Raiders won't hold next week's scheduled offseason activities, which were expected to be mostly weightlifting sessions.

Oakland wrapped up a voluntary minicamp on Wednesday under Kiffin, a former assistant coach at Southern California. He had just one season of NFL training camp experience as an assistant in Jacksonville in 2000.

The Raiders' training camp opens July 27 in Napa.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: union believes Raiders' offseason workouts broke rules

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:36 pm

No wonder these guys suck. !@#$ing wusses. I may not be physically capability of having a 300+ lb giant of a man pushing me around all day, but I'm not getting paid millions to do it either. If you want to be a professional football player, you've got to have endurance, toughness, and suck it up when practice is hard. Its supposed to be hard, so you don't find the games as physically strenuous.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 pm

We'll I mean...obviously this is a bit extreme if there is an issue with the union..which holds a universal standard...or the guys are out of shape...theres different ways of seeing it.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby thatonepoorkid » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:04 pm

How can a team that works that hard be that bad? Kinnda like a year or two ago Detroit wasfined for practiceing to much. How do these things happen?
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:47 pm

thatonepoorkid wrote:How can a team that works that hard be that bad? Kinnda like a year or two ago Detroit wasfined for practiceing to much. How do these things happen?

Sounds like new coaches coming in must assume their team is lousy because they're lazy and what they need to fix it is work harder. When the problem is more like the players are mediocre and management is clueless.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:01 am

maddog60 wrote:No wonder these guys suck. !@#$ing wusses. I may not be physically capability of having a 300+ lb giant of a man pushing me around all day, but I'm not getting paid millions to do it either. If you want to be a professional football player, you've got to have endurance, toughness, and suck it up when practice is hard. Its supposed to be hard, so you don't find the games as physically strenuous.

[Stands up and gives maddog a round of applause]

;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:54 am

Funny that the weakest union in sports somehow has been able to legislate something as arbitrary as practice intensity. I thought the only thing they could control was the amount of full contact and duration of practice drills. But the intensity?
I wonder what would have happened if in high school If I were to tell the coach "Hey this practice is too intense for this time of year".
No, actually I don't wonder. I would have gotten laughed off the team and shamed/shunned from any and all school activities forever.
Money changes everything.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to Football Talk