Who will be this years LJ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who will be this years LJ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who will be this years LJ?

Postby thatonepoorkid » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:23 pm

It happens EVERY year. A guy comes from out of nowhere and blows everyone away. Last year there where a few, before that was LJ, and so on.

I will list a few number 2 guys who could be crack the top 10 in running backs come next season.

Marion Barber:Although he is not far behind his starter he is still a number two and if he can shake JJ he is going to be a stud.
He found the endzone 16 times last year (1st in the NFC)

Michael Turner: If he is traded this season he will be more than a number 2 RB come week 1. At 6.2 yards a carry and 500 yards and 2 tds behind LT's 1815 yards and 28 tds this kid (25 years old) is just waiting to break out.

Jerious Norwood: Lets face it Warrick Dunn is old at 32 years old he is going to ware down an season now. Norwood stacked up 633 yards as a rookie with limited time behind dunns 1000 yard season.

Ladell Betts: This guy tore it up while Portis was gone last year. 1154 yards and 4tds is not a bad number from a guy not many have heard of. Portis' fantasy value is at an all-time low, and although he is going to be comeing back at 100% you can only wonder if portis can stay healthy.

Leon Washington: This guy is fast. He finished last season with 920 yards (running and catching) (650 rushing) he should be taken in the late rounds as a hand-cuff for Jones however.

DeAngelo Williams: I dont think this guy will be a number 2 come kick-off but for now he is. 501 yards and a td as a rookie behind foster. With D's looking to stop Smih this guy can tear up the ground like foster never could.

Maurice Morris: I list this guy only because of alxeander. Once RBs get injured at the age of 30 they seldom return to there full selfs often plagued by injury. I can see Alexander going down again leaving morris another chance. (though he did not make much of his 1st last season) draft him as a hand-cuff for alexander.

Throw some more names down if you will or take so off if you like
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who will be this years LJ?

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:28 am

I like your calls on Barber, DeAngelo, and Norwood. Michael Turner will never be an LJ, but he will get traded after this season and probably be a fairly obvious 1st or 2nd round pick going into the 2008 season.

Barber is just waiting to break out, especially if JJ goes down with another injury or continues his struggles. He averaged more yards per rush than Jones, is better in short yardage, was the more productive receiver, and scored four times the touchdowns in half the touches. Norwood was equally as impressive last year. Dunn has been noticeably wearing down at the end of the last two seasons, and given his age, he could potentially be an injury risk. Even if he remains healthy, Jerious may play well enough to limit Dunn's amount of carries to 100-150.

DeAngelo Williams has shown sparks of brilliance, and looks to be favored as the #1 RB in the new Panthers offense. New offense coordinator Jeff Davidson has promised a more run-first offense this season, and DeAngelo could be the beneficiary.

As for your other picks, I expect big bounce-back seasons from both Portis and Alexander. Shaun's best days are sadly behind him, and he will still be a very viable and possibly top 5 producer. Portis may actually be undervalued at this point. I must remind everyone that he suffered shoulder and hand injuries last season, but these are simply minor setbacks, and his legs and knees are fine. Sure, Betts had a solid season, but he was filling in for Portis, and he showed scoring inefficiency and weak ball handling skills. Portis' fantasy numbers through age 24 put him in elite company, and he will step back into his role this year. You guys may remember similar scenarios a few years back, with Ahman Green/Samkon Gado, Stephen Davis/Nick Goings, and Edgerrin/Dominic Rhodes.

And I simply believe the Jets backfield to be too crowded with Thomas Jones and Cedric Houston for Leon Washington to be a major threat.

A few other names: Brandon Jackson, Chris Henry, Tatum Bell, and Adrian Peterson.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:59 am

We are one over-due injury from Fragile Fraud Taylor away from seeing Jones-Drew, the human wrecking ball, blow-up. He could put up top 5 numbers easily should Fraud go down early.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby thatonepoorkid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:25 am

moochman wrote:We are one over-due injury from Fragile Fraud Taylor away from seeing Jones-Drew, the human wrecking ball, blow-up. He could put up top 5 numbers easily should Fraud go down early.

I Think Week 1Jones-Drew is getting more carries anyway. The Jags got a gem and they know it. I expect them to use it alot.
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:51 am

Barber is a good pick, but what about the other half of that tandem? I've been seeing Barber go as high as round 4 in drafts, but Julius always falls to around round 7-9. As a Barber owner last year I'm perfectly aware what he's capable of, but this is a contract year for Julius with a new head coach, and he wasn't too bad last year. The way I see it, either player could be this year's LJ.

Betts is another good pick. Even early in the season when Portis was relatively healthy, Betts had several productive games. I think given the way he finished last year, we'll see a split in Washington closer to what we saw in Dallas last year, than what we saw in Washington at the start of last year. Part of the reason Betts was so willing to sign the extension during last season was Gibbs's insistence that there would be plenty of playing time for both he and Portis. He's still only 27 years old and hasn't taken much of a beating yet. As late as he's been falling in drafts (after round 10 usually in the ones I've done) I think he's a very solid #5 RB with #1 RB upside.

Norwood is the other choice I strongly agree with. Dunn seems to be the kind of player who will not be terribly affected by age just yet, but with the flashes that Norwood showed last year, I think he has a strong shot to be this year's Marion Barber- Maybe slightly fewer touches, but making it count with lots of TDs. If I thought he could get 20 carries a game this year (no better than a 50/50 proposition and would probably involve injury to Dunn), I'd call him a third round pick. I'll reach a little bit for this guy.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Julius Jones is the future in Dallas, not Marion Barber III. The new coaches favor Julius from what I've read. Julius feels like hes running a lot better under the new coaches. Julius said he felt like he was mis-used under Parcells and felt like he was running like a robot. I'm guessing the only reason Barber was favored by Parcells is because hes a work-horse type back. But with a new coaching regimie I expect JJ to easily be the favorite in the big D.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:57 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Julius Jones is the future in Dallas, not Marion Barber III. The new coaches favor Julius from what I've read. Julius feels like hes running a lot better under the new coaches. Julius said he felt like he was mis-used under Parcells and felt like he was running like a robot. I'm guessing the only reason Barber was favored by Parcells is because hes a work-horse type back. But with a new coaching regimie I expect JJ to easily be the favorite in the big D.

This is my feeling as well. And with where they seem to be getting drafted JJ is the MUCH better value.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warpigs » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:27 pm

Why do we always wonder who will be this year's XXX?

Who will be this year's LJ? Who will be this year's Philip Rivers? Who will be this year's Matt Leinart? We could make all these comparisons all day.

If you really want to consider a running back who had been mired as a backup behind a truly solid RB who now has a chance to prove himself and shine as a potential top back, why not consider Brandon Jacobs with the Giants? Jacobs is huge, fairly mobile and should be a threat from day one. Yes, the Giants have Reuben Droughns, but Jacobs will be the main option right away and could do fairly well in that system.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:15 pm

Warpigs wrote:Why do we always wonder who will be this year's XXX?

Who will be this year's LJ? Who will be this year's Philip Rivers? Who will be this year's Matt Leinart? We could make all these comparisons all day.

If you really want to consider a running back who had been mired as a backup behind a truly solid RB who now has a chance to prove himself and shine as a potential top back, why not consider Brandon Jacobs with the Giants? Jacobs is huge, fairly mobile and should be a threat from day one. Yes, the Giants have Reuben Droughns, but Jacobs will be the main option right away and could do fairly well in that system.

We wonder about who will be this year's whatever because we are all looking for SODs or at least draft day values. Jacobs scares me a little because he always seems to be battling nagging injuries. I don't know that he will hold up to everyday work. Neither do the Giants, I suppose, since they signed Droughns. I think Reuben may be a sneaky pick come d-day. He might fit the system better than Jacobs.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby elltrain22 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Marion Barber is a guy that I am really high on. I am 110% sold on him getting the bulk of the carries for Dallas this year, and w/ his ability to find the end zone the sky's the limit...

DeAngelo Williams is fast, elusive, has great hands, and IMO, will have a breakout year for the Panthers. I am 110% sold on him being the Panthers feature back, and I very realistically see 800 rsh yds, w/ 6 rushing tds, and 2 rec'ing tds...

Ladell Betts, if given the chance, (that is if Portis goes down) can put up great #'s, but I think that Portis is gonna have a big year, so Betts is risky, IMO...

Turner would be a great fantasy option if he weren't a backup, but since he is LT's backup, I wouldn't expect much from him...

Jerious Norwood could deliver big-time, but I don't think Dunn is done yet...

Washington is fast, and talented, but Thomas Jones is gonna be a work horse for the Jets...

of the mentioned, i love Barber the most, followed by DeAngleo
elltrain22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk