Team Transformation... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Team Transformation...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Team Transformation...

Postby Warpigs » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:49 am

I'm a trade-happy kind of person that usually kills my long-term chances with trades that seem to give away too much. However, this year I think my trades have only improved my team. The hard part will be to overcome a 1-5 record (I had some big games, but each time played the only team in the league that was having a bigger one). I now play a stretch of five games that should be totally win-able. Let me know what you think of this transformation, and if I was stupid and sold my chances away...

Starting team after draft:
QB: Manning
RB (start two): Alexander, S. Davis, Canidate
WR (start three): Boston, C. Johnson, R. Gardner, J. Walker, S. Moss.

Team as of two weeks ago:
QB: McNair
RB: Alexander, Henry, Hearst, Betts
WR: Boston, C. Johnson, Price, Boldin

Team right now (final trade going through over weekend)
QB: Hasselbeck, Kitna
RB: Alexander, Tomlinson, Betts, D. Davis. D. Foster
WR: Boston, C. Johnson, Price, Boldin

A little worried about Hasselbeck performing each week, but then again he has a very easy schedule down the stretch. That may hurt or hinder. Any other QB I should target using him?

Another trade possibility includes Price and Betts for T. Owens. The owner is VERY hard up for RBs. I'm starting to think that T. Owens is not coming back to form this season, though, and may just keep Betts and D. Davis as my backups and then drop Foster or Kitna for C. Pennington for insurance down the strech for Hasselbeck.

Anyway, what do you think? Did I ultimately improve my team or screw it up?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:54 am

Sorry... this is a 12 team head-to-head Yahoo league, FYI
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby moochman » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:01 am

It looks to me like you messed it up.You added depth but tookl away from the overall quality You had S Davis, Alexander, and Manning. All top tier guys. You ended up with Hasselbeck, a step down from Manning. LT may finish better than Davis, but no lock to. And your WR situation is a little better, unless Gardner keeps getting more looks, and it seems he might. Time will tell if Price comes through and Boldin doesn't fade. Still a much better than 1-5 team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Purple_Pride » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:07 am

yeah i dunno, your middle team there was the worst one IMO, you have made it better since then but your team is no better than when you first started if it is any better at all.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Warpigs » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:16 am

OK. What do you think are the best moves to make in order to make this a top-tier team? I have the players and depth to make trades and know the owners strengths and weaknesses pretty well. What moves would be the best?

I personally had a feeling that S. Davis would at some point succumb to injury this season. I don't mean bruised forearm injury -- but one where he's out an extended time. I think foster will take over as the premier back at some point and will finish as a top-tier back. Even if this all doesn't happen -- I still didn't feel safe relying on Davis, and even after his performances so far, I still feel I made the smart move in dealing him (although I could have gotten a lot more for him now than I did at the beginning of the season). Overall, I'm not afraid to accept that my team needs help and try to fix it. Just need some ideas of where to go...
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Purple_Pride » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:18 am

to me it looks like you lost out at QB to get LT instead of Davis but im not sure yo ureally improved there, only time will tell. no worries, i still think you have a very cometeive team. i would defintely make that trade for TO if possible.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

idiot

Postby irishboy » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:24 am

how could u trade mcanir for hasslebeck? and tomlinson has been awful this year and wont get any better
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Warpigs » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:37 am

I didn't trade players straight up for each other. Earlier this week, I traded McNair and Henry for Gannon and LT. I do think that LT will improve. He has a zillon more yards than Henry, and the TD will come easier for him later than the yards will for Henry. Although earlier in the year I was high on Henry, I started seeing him as a team cancer -- his rib injury will never fully heal and will cause him pain and discomfort all season. I also didn't want to wonder about McGahee.

I knew that Gannon was NOT the answer for me. My top two choices of replacements were Brad Johnson and Brett Favre. I figured I could get them fairly easily with Gannon and a quality RB (Hearst in this case). Hearst is a better option than most of the RBs on the teams that had BJ and Favre. However, they didn't bite. Gannon is on bye next week, so I wanted to deal him this week to avoid the bye and to improve him so I could later turn around and get a better QB. I wound up getting Hasselbeck, who I think will be much easier to trade for a top-playing QB like Johnson -- especially if he falters some how this weekend while Hasselbeck explodes on the Chicago defense.

My team is constantly evolving, but I think I'm getting closer to my finished product. I would like more advice, however, as I continue to polish this squad.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Purple_Pride » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:47 am

LT will improve and is a huge upgrade over Henry. Hasselback is a very capable QB. I would try to bolster you WR corpse for some more consistent WR.

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Warpigs » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:55 am

Which receivers do you suggest? I haven't exactly seen too many consistent receivers. The only one I've noticed was CJ, and I have him. I agree that Boston is WAY inconsistent as is Price (i'd be starting Boldin -- also inconsistent -- if it wasn't for a bye week).

Like I said, I'm working on a TO trade -- but even he's very inconsistent this year.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Next

Return to Football Talk