Postby Kyle Orton » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:06 am

when should you draft kickers?
Kyle Orton
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: kickers

Postby suppasonic » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:26 am

Last or second-to-last round. Dont draft a backup.
suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:26 am

Kyle Orton wrote:when should you draft kickers?

I always take a kicker in the last round, or not at all. I'd rather take a flier on a player that might end up being fantasy worthy. My reason is that every year it seems like a kicker comes out of nowhere and becomes one of the top kickers of the year. Just look at Rackers 2 years ago and Gould last year. Both went undrafted in most leagues. Plus, even the best kickers in the league are inconsistent from game to game. Let's say that Vinatieri is the best kicker. If Indy wins 35-10 he gets 5 points. All the worst kicker in the league needs to do is kicker 2 FG's that week and he outscores Vinatieri. I'll never draft a kicker early. They're just not that important and you can ALWAYS get one off the WW at ANY point in the season. That can't be said for most of the other positions.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:14 am

The reason why you should never jump early on a kicker is simple, they rarely, and I mean straight-flush kind of rare here, rarely ever repeat being top 5. And mind you top 5 is just basically the top 50% of the starters. Whether a kicker is a great NFL kicker or not, it fluctuates too much. Essentially you need a guy with a rocket of an accurate leg, on a team whose offense will drive the ball a lot, but will have to routinely settle for field goals. Its nearly impossible to predict how all of those variables will play into things.

I've seen people jump all over Wilkins after his huge year, Vanderjacht after his, recently Rackers, and no doubt I will shake my head at those that overpay for Gould this upcoming draft. Its a mistake every drafter should avoid, like being that guy that takes Peyton Manning in the late 1st early 2nd.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby treat24 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:08 am

last round or not at all.... ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby mrblitz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:36 am

treat24 wrote:last round or not at all.... ;-D

Agreed, 100% ;-D

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby doublej73 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:49 am

If your league rules allow it, and your draft is a couple weeks before the start of the season, its a great idea to not draft a kicker and use the spot for a possible high reward player. Remember a couple of years ago when Willie Parker was third string, but then Bettis and Staley both got hurt in the preseason. FWP went from 3rd string to 1200 yards and 5 TDs. If he was on your team you just got a free starting RB. Otherwise, its a scramble for FWP on the waiver wire. You can wait until the first Sunday of the season and then drop your least promising player and pick up a kicker.
doublej73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:34 pm

doublej73 wrote:If your league rules allow it, and your draft is a couple weeks before the start of the season, its a great idea to not draft a kicker and use the spot for a possible high reward player. Remember a couple of years ago when Willie Parker was third string, but then Bettis and Staley both got hurt in the preseason. FWP went from 3rd string to 1200 yards and 5 TDs. If he was on your team you just got a free starting RB. Otherwise, its a scramble for FWP on the waiver wire. You can wait until the first Sunday of the season and then drop your least promising player and pick up a kicker.

Exactly, same strategy I use for my D some of the time as well.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby logan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:40 pm

echoing the others pretty much the last round. in the recent mock i completed here i drafted my kicker in the last round. it was jason elam so as you can see a top kicker is most times easily had in the end.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby BigBadBrawler » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:24 pm

treat24 wrote:last round or not at all.... ;-D

;-D ;-D ;-D
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero