Best Strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best Strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Strategy?

Postby JagJunkie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:15 pm

What is the best way to play fantasy football? I've heard a lot about it and would like to try it.
JagJunkie
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Strategy?

Postby BigBadBrawler » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:22 pm

I don't think there is a "best" way to play. But if you're looking to get your feet wet, you could check out sites like yahoo, which have free public leagues, so you can start off small and simple and build your knowledge and experience from there. Then checking FF sites and magazines to study up on the players (as well as looking around the Cafe for the vast amount of information and resources available here) would be a good start. It would let you get an idea of other people's perspectives and let you learn more about the FF process...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby JagJunkie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:25 pm

So are you saying that this site isn't the right place for me?
What about players? Can I pick anybody I want?
JagJunkie
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:36 pm

Wow, that's a big question. Where to begin...

1) Check here constantly.

I know this will sound like a plug from someone with a biased opinion, but you've just stumbled into the best free fantasy football resource available on the internet. You'll get lots of different opinions, but you'll get to view solid knowledgeable debates on a level you will not find elsewhere and get to assess your own conclusion based on those.

2) There is a golden rules of fantasy football thread that someone should post, but in general prepare yourself is the #1 priority. You're new, so make sure you do 3-6 mock drafts to get a feel for how others will draft and where players typically go. Compile your own rankings, but check out which players you want that you can wait on. Make sure by the time you draft you have a draft sheet of who you want, in what order, make sure its deep. Roughly 30 QBs/TEs, ~80 RBs/WRs at least.

3) While we're talking about positions. Do not jump early on a defense or kicker. They are wildly unreliable in fantasy football year to year, and you're going to hurt yourself in key depth at more important positions by doing this. If you must draft these, don't draft backups, and take them with your last couple picks.

4) Pay attention to your league settings. If you start 2 QBs instead of the standard 1 QB, this should be reflected in your rankings. If you have a flex position like "RB/WR", bump up the value on all your RBs as RBs tend to score more points, therefore being able to start a RB every week in that spot gives you a distinct advantage. If your league gives out points for receptions, keep this in mind when choosing between a guy like Rudi Johnson or Clinton Portis perhaps.

5) Be an active owner. If a guy you weren't thrilled about drafting blows up week 1, go with your gut, and use the opportunity to trade him while others might take a chance for someone you really wanted. Keep your eye on all of the games for breakout players, scouring the news sites for breaking injuries and training camp reports, to make sure you can get to that hot waiver wire pickup first. Pay attention to other teams, who they're starting, where they are having problems, to look for trades you can make.

There's so much more, but this is intended as a start. So long as you follow the first piece of advice, you'll pick up the rest of it in time.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby doublej73 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:41 pm

Some great advice from maddog. Here is my 2 cents:

For your first season, try and find a league that has a nice, basic scoring system and starting line up. For the line up, try and find something like 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, I TE, I kicker and one defense/special teams.

Running backs go fast, so try and draft them first, then receivers, then maybe a QB or two. You can wait on Tight Ends not named Antonio Gates.

Also, watch the bye weeks of the players you draft. If your two top running backs have the same bye week, and you have to start your # 3 and # 4 guys in their place, that week is probably a certain loss.

Hope this helps!
doublej73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moonhead » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:32 pm

pay attention to scoring setup, rosters, and lineup requirements. there are leagues where you can pick anyone, offense and defensive players. those, in my opinion, are a little tougher to draft. it takes a bit of planning and some number crunching to see where your points are going to come from and decide when to draft the defensive players, etc. check out some of the mock drafts here. there are four or five, at least, going on right now. that will give you an idea of how drafts might go. but, like i said, pay attention to scoring and lineup requirements, because that will determine, significantly, how people are drafted.

you are definitely in the right place to start. there is an overwhelming amount of knowledge here and experts by the dozen that are more than happy to help out. good luck dude! just keep asking questions. you're on the right track.

edit: here are some links to mock drafts.

viewforum.php?f=258 (completed)
viewforum.php?f=247 (completed)
viewforum.php?f=263 (in progress)
viewforum.php?f=264 (keeper style in progress)
viewforum.php?f=276 (in progress)

those should give you an idea of some drafting strategy, and the reasons behind some of the picks (if you read the discussion threads). that's how i learned a lot when i was starting, hanging out here, reading people's theories and watching mocks. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby moochman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:23 pm

You should seriously get into mock drafting. Though it isn't the same as the real deal, it's close and will give you a good feel for when runs are starting and which sleepers aren't really sleepers anymore.
Check this site out often, ask whichever questions you need answers for. Don't worry about bungholes who cheap shot nubes, there are plenty here willing and able to help out.
Good luck dude, and welcome to the Cafe.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:36 pm

RB's are the key to winning. 10-20 will be drafted before other positions are touched.
WR's come second.
Then QB's start to get mixed in. Don't take Peyton Manning in the first round, it will be too hard to recover the rest of the draft.
Te's then are mixed in.

Your last two picks should be a defense and kicker (unless you took one earlier, but you shouldn't).
Don't go rookie crazy, they may be the sexy pick, but lots of times its the Vets that will get you the wins. (I.e. Joey Galloway vs Chad Jackson last year).

When you are deciding how you feel about players, try and look at a few rankings other people/sites have composed then form your rankings from that, don't change anything too radically until you really get your feet under you, so you still have players relative to their 'value'.

DON'T DRAFT ALL PLAYERS FROM YOUR FAVORITE NFL TEAM.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby jmog » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:46 am

aaawall91 wrote:
DON'T DRAFT ALL PLAYERS FROM YOUR FAVORITE NFL TEAM.

As a Cleveland Browns fan, I have one rule when it comes to drafting.

Don't take ANY players from my favorite team.

I have never had a Browns player on my team and I tend to do well. Who knows, that could change slightly this year with either Winslow or J. Lewis if they drop far enough, I will NOT jump up to get them.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:47 am

Yeah that often is a good strategy, because often you are very high on players on your favorite team and might draft them way earlier than they should be.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Next

Return to Football Talk