Curry looking to make impact this year... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curry looking to make impact this year...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curry looking to make impact this year...

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:53 pm

...not really happy with the way the coaches used him last year - wants to show what he can do:

Curry says it's much better to receive

By Jason Jones - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 8:46 am PDT Saturday, June 16, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C2

ALAMEDA -- Ronald Curry heard his name called after making a spectacular third-down catch more than once last season.

But he'd like to hear his name called before kickoff, too.

"I want to hear my name called over the loudspeakers," Curry said. " 'Ronald Curry in the starting lineup.' I want to run out the tunnel."

More times than not, Curry made a big play on third down, only to trot back to the sideline and wait for another third-and-long situation.

The receiver in his sixth season looks forward to earning a starting job. Curry started four games last season, including the last three when Randy Moss went down with an ankle injury.

He was the team's most consistent and productive offensive player, but the Raiders played it safe with him. Curry was coming off a second torn left Achilles' tendon, and he was held out most of last season's training camp, though he said he was ready from the start.

This season, Curry could be a starter from the start.

"I always want to compete," Curry said. "I've been competing since I've been here. I'd compete if I was 'the man' in the league. That's just me. The cream rises to the top. The best man should play."

That wasn't the case most of last season. Curry showed he was the Raiders' best receiver last season while Moss was disinterested and Jerry Porter was banished to the bench by coach Art Shell without explanation.

But Curry couldn't get on the field enough for the NFL's worst offense. Coaches continued to be cautious with Curry, limiting him to third-down duty most of the season.

Curry played in all 16 games last year, led the Raiders with 727 receiving yards and proved to be efficient in limited work. Of Curry's team-high 62 catches, 28 came on third down. Curry converted 21 of those catches into first downs. Overall, 40 catches by Curry led to first downs, but the Raiders didn't find room for him until late in the season when forced to by injuries.

Curry said he understood why the team was careful with him early in the offseason last year. But the slow pace at which he was brought along all season confused a player who had felt good for months.

Curry arrived at training camp last year and declared himself ready to play. That was before knowing the team had put him on the physically unable to perform list. He was told it would be limited to a week.

That stretched to four weeks.

"I knew they were being smart around this time, but as the season got closer and the reps didn't grow, of course it got a little frustrating," Curry said. "Especially when they sit you down and they don't tell you about it."

That's why Curry was happy to attack the offseason program.

"Last year I wasn't doing anything," he said. "I was healthy, but they were holding me back. This is my first real offseason. I feel good. My body feels good. It feels good to be doing some work."

Curry said he isn't content with just being on the field. He wants to prove he is more than a third-down threat, and he doesn't want to wait most of the season -- or until third down comes up -- to show it.

source: http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/225823.html
Last edited by stomperrob on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Curry looking to make impact this year...

Postby logan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:12 pm

curry showed a decent amount of promise a couple seasons ago before blowing his knee out and that was with collins at the helm. wouldn't surprise me to see him starting next to porter and it will probably happen.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I believe Curry will have a very good year. The only thing that may hurt a little is having a rookie qb. But I think that 64 catches839 yards, and 6 tds, aren't out of the question.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby cool Daddy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:19 am

Curry is my top sleeper WR this year....1,000 yd season is very reachable.
cool Daddy
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kevbo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:41 am

This guy was a PPR monster at the end of the season last year. (And that was with garbage throwing to him). He's going to be a great value in leagues where your owners only look at season totals. He's a solid # 3 receiver that you can draft in #4 or #5 territory depending on your particular league's dope factor.
kevbo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:46 am

I like Curry going into this season as well as a #3WR. Just hoping Oakland can put together an O-line to block for McCown/Russell so they have time to throw the ball.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk