Why I Hate ESPN - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Why I Hate ESPN

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why I Hate ESPN

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:20 pm

No need for a witty intro. Here's the **** the bothers me about ESPN.

1) Last night, my Minnesota Twins had a pretty interesting game. The Brewers made a 7-run comeback only to have Morneau hit a homer in the bottom of the ninth to win it. The reason I'm telling you this is because there was no Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight at 2 in the morning. ESPN re-aired the Mets/Yanks game. I already know the score. A recap (ala Baseball Tonight) is all I need.

2) All I need to say is Schilling. Really, you need to cut into my PTI to show his near no-hitter? Fine. I'll take it, but when he didn't get it, did you really have to stick with it? And then, when the game was over, did you really have to debate his greatness for the next half hour? No. But, you did.

3) Stuart Scott (you're not hip; you're 40), Chris Berman (He's a football god; he doesn't need to do baseball, basketball, hockey, and women's pole vaulting for ESPN), and Skip Bayless/Woody Paige (Tweedledee and tweedledum).

4) How big is your boner for Bonds? Luckily, Bonds on Bonds was a flop.

5) Why is it that any story involving the Yankees, Kobe, and Favre. I swear, if Favre ever went to a Yankees game with Kobe, it would be a 24-hour special on ESPN, ESPN2-17, ESPN Deportes, and an instant ESPN Classic.

6) My final rant is the bias towards all things East Coast. The story on their NFL page: going over the Jets/Giants offseason. Really? I can understand going by division, conference, or team. At least it's not as bad as baseball. The poll on ESPN a couple days back was "Who now is the leader of the Yankees: Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez?" Umm... I'm going to go with Steinbrenner. I understand that the Yankees have a lot of "fans", and they are surprisingly worse this year, but do you need to analyze them at length every day? Wang went 8 2/3 giving up 2 runs, and you immediately hear about it. Sweet -- a quality start.

Please, add more. I'm sure I'm too annoyed to think clearly and am missing some obvious ones. ;-D

(Also, I HATE Shwab (sp?) and his "potato chip analysis" on Cold Pizza. Dude, get off your ass. Watching figure skating and NFL Europe all weekend is not worth 3 1/2 bags of chips. Go buy a treadmill.)
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why I Hate ESPN

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:00 pm

What I like about ESPN: PTI, Baseball Tonight, NFL Live (especially Mark Schlereth, Mike Golic, and Jaws), Sunday NFL Countdown, used to love NFL Prime, Chris Behrman (even though most people don't like him), SportsCenter (even though 9/10 of the anchors suck), baseball/college basketball games, College World Series, Little League World Series, NFL Films Presents, SportsCenter commercials, ESPNEWS, the Bottomline, and just the overall concept.

What I don't like about ESPN: Skip Bayless (makes me want to pull my hair out because he always has to go against the grain and knows nothing), firing Harold Reynolds, pointless stories on SportsCenter, taking over Monday Night Football (Sunday Night Football has taken over as primetime, IMO), hiring every athlete to commentate that has ever played any sport, and being obsessed with the Yankees, Red Sox, Barry Bonds, Rex Grossman, the NFC East, and Kobe Bryant (even though I know it's not entirely their fault).
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby sox 06 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:01 pm

I can't stand Sage Steele, she does the highlights during the Mike and Mike in the Morning show, she stinks :P :-t

Mike and Mike in the Morning is pretty much the only show on ESPN that I like, Sportscenter sometimes. I never watch ANYTHING that has to do with Barry Bonds, its over kill.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:12 pm

what I like about ESPN: PTI, Sports reporters, NFL Live, Jacked Up (on Monday nite countdown), And last but not least Rachel Nichols.

What I hate about ESPN: JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 pm

what i love about espn: poker. all day every day. and midget billiards on the deuce. awesome.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby logan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:38 pm

moonhead wrote:what i love about espn: poker. all day every day. and midget billiards on the deuce. awesome.

i will now request a pm the next time that midget billiards is on. that is something i have to HAVE to see immediately.course that sounds like something that you would see on The Ocho. :-B
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:48 pm

Oh yeah, and American Gladiators on Classic. :-b
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:13 pm

What I like about ESPN: Sports

What I hate about ESPN: Stuff that isn't sports
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:55 am

What I like: The amount of football coverage in the off-season, American Gladiators, College Basketball Coverage, PTI

What I don't like: No NHL games, lack of NHL coverage, they show Baseball and talk about Baseball, the stupid top 10 highlights...like anything mascots really...some good plays really get over-looked. Any talk about Bonds, Farve, Baseball (specifically Yank's and Red Socks), horrible references (such as the the guy just not referred to a guy jumping as pressing "the triangle button", lack of College Hockey coverage...its a really really fun sport to watch, Poker, Pool, Cold Pizza, Around the Horn, amount of excessive NBA coverage, horrible show concepts: mainly the ones that look back on the past in the middle of primetime, ESPN Deportes, Skip Bayless, Car Shows, Too much focuses on players personal lives and the analyzing those social events in comparison to a performance and comparing them to other players who've been in a similar situation, Amount of air time sportscenter takes up in a day, how all the baseball highlights look the same (especially on the top 10), not enough highschool coverage (ESPN 2 Material- The cover some highschool football, need more), Too much talk of scandals taking away from the game: Landis, Bonds, Arrests.

(note: this was done while watching sportscenter...and mostly baseball highlights :-t :,-( :*) :-# :-/ :-t :-[ !+) :P :~( :X :{ %6 X-I :C )
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:08 am

What I like: PTI, Mike and Mike, the format they use for debates in Around the Horn (can anyone whose been watching the presidential primary debates not wish that Wolf Blitzer had a mute button when someone went over time?).

What I dislike most (listing all would take too long): How they are worse than even most of the media at spinning a story into what they want it to be, instead of actually reporting. Getting rid of Skip Bayless, Woody Paige (actually makes Skip look sane, shudder), Jay Mariotti, and Merrill Hoge would be a huge step in the right direction.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk