$$$ Waiver System - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

$$$ Waiver System

Moderator: Football Moderators

$$$ Waiver System

Postby ajlaz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 am

Wondering if anyone has ever tried the following (or some sort of variation) for their football waiver wire system. Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

Each team would have $100 for waiver pickups throughout the course of the year and there would be a bid process once a week for pickup. Simply put, the highest bidder on a certain player would get that player.

Anyone ever have problems with this? Great system? Poor system?

A few of us are hardcore fantasy baseball guys and football seasons once a week roster setup is simply not enough for us, this would add a little spice to it.

10 team league
1QB, 2B, 2WR, 1TE, 1WR/RB, 1 DEF, 1K
ajlaz
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: $$$ Waiver System

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:34 pm

ajlaz wrote:Wondering if anyone has ever tried the following (or some sort of variation) for their football waiver wire system. Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

Each team would have $100 for waiver pickups throughout the course of the year and there would be a bid process once a week for pickup. Simply put, the highest bidder on a certain player would get that player.

A few of us are hardcore fantasy baseball guys and football seasons once a week roster setup is simply not enough for us, this would add a little spice to it.

10 team league
1QB, 2B, 2WR, 1TE, 1WR/RB, 1 DEF, 1K

I have never tried it, but I know some guys that have a similar system and they really like it.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironcityboy88 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:20 pm

I'm not a big fan of the $$$ for transaction leagues; however, if you guys are thirsting for waiver activity, then it definitely sounds alright!
ironcityboy88
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby spodog » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 pm

ajlaz wrote:Wondering if anyone has ever tried the following (or some sort of variation) for their football waiver wire system. Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

We've used a bidding system similar to this since 1993 in our $ league.

Monday - Wednesday each week all free agents are in a pool that allows owners to bid on whomever they want, up to their season bidding cap. (we've found about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the entry fee is decent $ cap).

Tie $ bids go to the earlier bid submitted. Commish announces on all bid winners on Wed nite.

All free agent players not acquired via the bid system then become available on a fcfs basis to anyone who wants to claim them for $1 per player up until games start. After the games begin, then all players are locked down again until the next week's bidding cycle.

It is a much more equitable system than the various waiver priority systems.

Works great, our owners love it. ;-D
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajlaz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 pm

That system sounds pretty good. What site do you do your league in? We're probably doing CBS again this year. I'm hoping I'm able to set it up there.
ajlaz
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby spodog » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:30 am

In years past, we've mostly managed the bidding results manually, just entering the results into the league software.

This year, we are using http://www.myfantasyleague.com which has built in support for a blind bidding process.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cee Rud » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:04 pm

I'm not a fan of extra cash for transactions since we've found it's easier to manage and collect a flat fee plus bad teams aren't dis-incented to stop trying. We've been using a free agent points based bid system that's been a tremendous success for the league. All teams start the season with 5 FA points, every time you win a game you get another FA point and every loss is 3 FA points. Each week there's a silent auction where owners can bid their points for free agents, and after the weekly free agent draft, all players that have been dropped or still undrafted are "up for grabs".

We run this manually, which is really the only downside, but it's been great. It gives teams that are not doing well a slight advantage but only while they're not performing well. Otherwise, a team can get the best free agent, say a backup QB now starting due to injury one week and then still have a good shot at getting the most sought after FA the next week.
Cee Rud
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby FunWithTP » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:33 am

the blind bidding season is fun and adds interesting twists to the season.

in my opinion, 10 teams is too few. most rosters are pro-bowl like starting lineups each week. try expanding your league as well. 12 teams is good, but for redraft leagues, i prefer 16 teams where wr & te are combined into one position.

just my preferences
FunWithTP
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner