Keeper Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper Rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Rules

Postby BUS36 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:06 pm

I am so glad that I re-joined this forum. I forgot my username and password but am back and not really sure why I left. This forum is much better than the one that I was previously on. My main league is moving to a keeper league this year. I think that most keeper leagues are run that you can keep 3 players and they are run like if you draft Colston in the 12th round then you can keep his as a 9th or something. However, I was thinking about having teams keep 2 players with the only stipulations being that they cannot be drafted in the first 2 rounds or of the same position. This is so that everyone doesn't keep 2 stud rbs. Next year your 2 keepers will be your first 2 picks, this will mean that you can only have your 2 keepers for 1 year. I am asking everyone to pay for 2 years now, so that we will basically have a 2 year agreement and everyone will defenitely stick around. Any thoughts? Thanks fellas!
BUS36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Rules

Postby BUS36 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:41 pm

No thoughts on this?
BUS36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dream_017 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Not a huge fan of keeper league. More of a redraft or dynasty guy myself. Thoughts on your set-up. I think it makes it very difficult to monitor if you limit keepers to certain draft rounds. Personally, if it is a keeper than you should be able to keep who you want. :-/
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby snookfish » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 pm

My league has 3 keepers 1 QB 1 WR and 1 RB. You can keep anybody from any round. So 1 guy has LT,big deal. To me, you never know when LT is going to tear an ACL. But the fact is, someone is always going to have LT. I had priest holmes for 3 years and did well all 3 years but look where I am now. It all works out as the years pass by. My Rb keeper is Addi, I drafted in round 6 last year and now he's a top 5-8 RB and I bet he does even better this year. So It all works out because if you have the same group of people then every player has their year.
snookfish
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby edanono » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:39 am

We have an option.

1 keeper and a $15 option to keep a second. This will also cost the owner their first round pick. This allows those who don't like much of their team to rebuild. I also don't allow 2 of the same postion to be kept.

The only issue is if a couple of owners work out a deal before the draft. This happened last year. The owner of LT also kept Brady and worked a deal with the owner of James before the draft to aquire him. So basically he held 2 RB's by making a trade.

Danono
DA Nono
edanono
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kidwithhelmet » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:15 pm

This is my 2nd year running my keeper league. The format I created is that you can keep 3 position players, with the stipulation being you lose 1 round higher a pick the next year and the coming years. So you can't keep any 1st round picks; 2nd round picks can be kept for only 1 year, and so forth. I know that some people choose to use this method. I also added some of my own little wrinkles to speed up the process, like instead of losing just 1 round higher for a player, you lose 2 if that player was drafted in rounds 10-16. And I created what people in my league have referred to as the "arbitration sheet" which is a point spread to decifer what round undrafted players will lose. Like I said, its the start of my 2nd year so I can't tell if these are good methods yet. Obviously, with no limits on the amount of position you can keep, RB is at an EXTREME PREMIUM in my league.
kidwithhelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:56 pm

We run two keeper leagues...one for a snake draft and one for an auction draft (first year for auction, so we'll see how this works). Our draft keeper league is TWO keepers that were drafted in the SIXTH round or later and you can only keep players for one year. This allows the team that drafted last to get first dibs on keepers. Our auction draft is going to have a cap of $150, with each team able to keep ONE player for up to THREE years (year drafted PLUS three years). 1st frozen year = draft price + $5, 2nd year = DP + $10, 3rd year = DP + $15...we might extend the frozen players to be more then one, but we'll see how it goes.
BALCO All-Stars
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lucky7 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:43 pm

I have run a keeper league for several years now with a format that works well and everyone seems to like. We can keep 2 players every year. Each year, kept players move up 2 draft rounds. So, for eample, if you drafted Gore in the 6th round in 2006, you could keep him in 2007 as your 4th round pick, and keep him again in 2008 as your 2d round pick, but you wouldn't be able to keep him in 2009. This has 2 benefits--it prevents people from keeping the elite players drafted in the first 2 rounds, and it prevents people from keeping studs drafted in the later rounds forever.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BUS36 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:47 pm

I appreciate all the quality feedback fellas. However, I am still interested in what you guys think about my setup. Will it work out alright?
BUS36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:12 pm

I've been in one Keeper league since the early 90s. We have 16-man rosters, and you can keep six of your players. However, you can only keep three of the six you kept last year. So you can keep three guys indefinitely as the "core" of your team, and the other three guys you had last year usually end up on the trade block, or if guys don't want to trade they have to cast them back into the draft.

I like the Keeper format. It helps build a character of a team. I've had LT2 since his rookie year, and Steve Smith since he came back from his knee. Another guy has had Manning locked up for a few years, but he got him in a trade because of the "three from last year have to go" clause, where both teams really needed to trade. So it fosters trades, and it makes draft picks come in to play for trades as well.

Pretty sweet, really.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner