For you commish's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

For you commish's

Moderator: Football Moderators

For you commish's

Postby cardsfan1 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:16 am

I have a couple questions for you exp. commish's

I've played fantasy sports for about 15 years and this will be my first as a commish.

The league I'm starting is a keeper league and cost $ 60 to join with 100% going to prize money. I'm not only the commish be an owner so how do I keep trade and other rulings fair? I plan on using a majority rules on trades and such. How do you guys keep it fair or I should say keepe soem of the owners from bitching.

Also how do you guys collect money from owners? paypal maybe.

For you guys in league that charge $$ for transaction, how do you work that, as far as collecting. We are charging $ 1 dollar per transaction.

I'm planning on using fleaflicker, anyone have any feed back on that site??

Just curious to see how others run their league

Thanks a bunch and if your interested I still have a few spots open.
cardsfan1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: For you commish's

Postby Touchdown Taz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:50 am

I used to let the owners vote against trade but, 1 year, it totally got out of control after 1 trade was refused for no obvious reason and every other trades got systematically rejected.

Here's what we do since then : we have a commitee of 3 owners that have the power to vote against trades. If one of the owner is part of the trade, he is replaced in that commitee by another owner. This way, we keep the league more under control.

For collecting cash, I do it in person. I don't run "cash" leagues with owners spread around the country.
Touchdown Taz
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby rffl_commish » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:28 pm

I have an offseason owner's meeting where majority rules and ANY rule or suggestion can be brought up for a vote. That's the owners chance to have a voice. During the season, I become the benevolent dictator and will approve most trades unless it's an obvious player dump or collusion.

Last season I had an owner offer a case of beer with his trade. Another owner called me about it so I had to block the trade. That's the only trade I've stopped in 3 years. I've made several trades and always try to make them fair, if not slightly in my favor. As long as there's value-for-value in the trade, let them go.

We charge $2/transaction and it's due once the regular FF season ends. Rosters are frozen going into the playoffs. No one gets paid until all $$ is collected. I also have a League Treasurer who does the collecting. For entry fees, owners have to bring their cash to the draft. If they don't, they're assessed a $10 fine and cannot make roster moves (waivers) until they're paid in full.
rffl_commish
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby spodog » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:29 pm

cardsfan1 wrote:I have a couple questions for you exp. commish's

I've played fantasy sports for about 15 years and this will be my first as a commish.

The league I'm starting is a keeper league and cost $ 60 to join with 100% going to prize money. I'm not only the commish be an owner so how do I keep trade and other rulings fair? I plan on using a majority rules on trades and such. How do you guys keep it fair or I should say keepe soem of the owners from bitching.

see this link for pro/con analysis of majority rules:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=327690&hilit=Independent&start=10
cardsfan1 wrote:Also how do you guys collect money from owners? paypal maybe.

paypal or a check in the old U.S. Mail system.

cardsfan1 wrote:For you guys in league that charge $$ for transaction, how do you work that, as far as collecting. We are charging $ 1 dollar per transaction.

We have a cash call at midseason and another at the completion of the final game.

cardsfan1 wrote:I'm planning on using fleaflicker, anyone have any feed back on that site??

haven't used it.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FunWithTP » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:35 am

if youre playing with friends, have all trades go through automatically, then the commish is the only one who can overturn a trade. im not a fan of trade voting in the leagues i play in. it slows down the process greatly and does not promote active trading. if you want trade voting, i suggest that you let all trades go through automatically, but allow 12 hours or less for objections. if the trade receives multiple objections (at least 2 or 3), then put it up for a league vote. not more than 24 hours. it forces owners to remain active if they want input. recommend that all owners to set their email settings on the website to notify them of all trades. the faster trades can be processed, the better for the league, the more it promotes trading overall.

collecting money with paypal is a good idea because it gives owners added security. add one the fee that paypal charges you to accept the payment. no sense in having the league prize pool pay the credit card fees. i also accept money order, check or cash. make it easy as possible for owners to pay you the entry fee.

im not a fan of $ per transactions. its just a pain to have to keep collecting $$ throughout the season. i would suggest sending out a fees due report after each weeks fantasy game (tuesdays). give owners two weeks to pay their weekly balance, then charge a late fee or lock them out of their team until balance is paid.

i have not used fleaflicker.com, but i am using it for one of my personal leagues this season to give it a shot.
FunWithTP
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner