Smith likes new offense in SF - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Smith likes new offense in SF

Moderator: Football Moderators

Smith likes new offense in SF

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:04 am

Now learning his 3rd offensive scheme in as many years, Alex Smith likes what he sees of the new system compared to what he ran the previous two seasons:

Smith likes the direction of newest 49ers' offense

Kevin Lynch, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Based on his performance in the last three weeks of organized team activity practices, quarterback Alex Smith is progressing. And the offense, coached by first-year coordinator Jim Hostler, seems to be progressing right along with its young quarterback.

Smith said his rookie season (2005) under now-Packers coach Mike McCarthy was about a rigid passing game based on progressions and short quarterback drops.

"We weren't throwing the ball downfield; defenses were on top of us," Smith said Wednesday after the team's second-to-last practice. "It was like we were the passive ones and (the defenses) were the aggressors."

Then came Norv Turner, and the offense changed dramatically. "It was the opposite," Smith said. "We were taking seven-step drops, throwing the ball downfield."

That offense performed relatively well in the middle of the field on first- and second-down because of the threat of the run. But when the 49ers got inside the opponents' 20 or needed a third-down conversion, they floundered.

They finished 26th in third-down efficiency and 29th in red-zone production. Nevertheless, the overall offensive improvement from 2006 was enough for Turner to land in San Diego as head coach.

These days in Santa Clara, Hostler is trying to blend Turner's deep-passing game with McCarthy's West Coast approach.

The offense has practiced third-down passing or red-zone offense every day. Coaches have also emphasized an "empty" offensive formation, meaning no backs in the backfield.

Hostler "has done a nice job of incorporating both" horizontal and vertical passing games, Smith said.

The blending of both approaches will make the offense more complicated, which Smith welcomes.

"The more things we can do, the more we can put on film," Smith said. "If you can do a lot of things well, you give the defense a lot of problems."

Gore is leading: One aspect of the team that won't change is that it will run through Frank Gore. Coach Mike Nolan said he wants the running back getting 25 touches a game and Gore said he wants to gain 2,200 rushing yards.

Gore is also becoming more of a leader and involving himself with the entire team.

"If something is good on defense or offense, Frank has opinions on it," Nolan said. "Frank's not shy about coming up to me and saying, 'Coach, I think that guy is a baller.' "

If Gore doesn't like a player, he'll go to Nolan and just shake his head.

"There are some guys who have a pulse on the team and Frank is one of those guys," Nolan said.

Briefly: Team scouts attended former Nebraska tackle Chris Patrick's workout Monday in Lincoln. Patrick will be available in the July 12 supplemental draft, but the 49ers won't be interested unless one of their own tackles sustains an injury between now and then. ... Scouts also attended cornerback Paul Oliver's workout in Athens, Ga. The former Georgia player might not have the speed the team is looking for.

E-mail Kevin Lynch at mailto:klynch@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page D - 2 of the San Francisco Chronicle

source:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... QIS9H1.DTL
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Smith likes new offense in SF

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:04 pm

I really like the upside that Alex Smith is showing, I'm not so sure where he'll eventually land as a quarterback, but he seems to be getting a lot better with age. SF could be a surprise this year in the west.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby bravesfan42 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:17 pm

The talent is definitely there for the niners. They could surprise this yr.
bravesfan42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Hopefully he countinues to get better, and Gore gets those 2,200 yeards.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby treat24 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 pm

bravesfan42 wrote:The talent is definitely there for the niners. They could surprise this yr.

how so... i know a TON of people thinking they could hit the playoffs... the only way they could "surprise" is by winning the superbowl... especially after NO last year...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby mrblitz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:06 pm

I think it's really nice that he likes his new offense, but until I see continued progression in it, he'd be lucky to be a QB2 on any of my squads.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby sublimeandy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:54 pm

i like him as a sleeper. if he's available in the later rounds and the timing is right i plan on taking him.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:53 pm

They have made all the right moves and are poised to contend for the West title once again. They surprised most fans last year. This year, they will only surprise those who weren't paying attention last year and this offseason.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby FF Pirate » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:49 am

Good news to a niner fan!
FAITHFUL NINER FAN
FF Pirate
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff