Cadillac looking to be more involved in passing game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cadillac looking to be more involved in passing game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cadillac looking to be more involved in passing game

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:16 am

...and would definitely like to see his rushing stats improve too:

Cadillac eager to rebound from disappointing season

Associated Press, Updated 19 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Carnell "Cadillac" Williams says there's one thing he'll never forget about the only losing season he's gone through as a football player.

"I found out you definitely shouldn't take winning for granted," the third-year Tampa Bay running back said.

"Sometimes you beat teams and think that's what you were supposed to do. After the season we had last year, I'm counting every win and going to be thankful for however it comes."

The Buccaneers went 4-12 - missing the playoffs for the third time in four years - and an inability to get the running game on track was one of the main reasons for the team's first-to-worst slide in the NFC South.

With a rookie running the offense after quarterback Chris Simms was sidelined for the season in Week 3, opposing defenses stacked the line of scrimmage and practically dared Bruce Gradkwoski to try to beat them with his arm.

Williams' opportunities to help the team decreased, and so did Tampa Bay's chances for winning.

"It was tough. Teams stuck eight guys in the box and just blitzed, not respecting what we do best - and that's run the football," Williams said, adding that as the season progressed he probably made matters worse by trying to do too much when he did get the ball.

"That's very frustrating. It's tough when you go out, practice hard and prepare yourself to play, and you're just not getting results. It was a time you just had to humble yourself and say: 'Hard times don't last always.' That's the approach I took."

After rushing for 1,178 yards and six touchdowns to run away with the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award and help the Bucs make the playoffs in 2005, Williams gained 798 yards on 225 carries and only got into the end zone once last season.

If there was a bright spot in his performance, he did become more involved in the passing game with 30 receptions - 10 more the previous year.

"That's a lot of catches from him with his background," coach Jon Gruden said of the former Auburn star, who was rarely used in the passing game in college. "He's really worked at that craft. ... His versatility as a receiver has really gotten better."

And, Williams continues to work at becoming a better all-around back.

During offseason workouts and this week's mandatory mini-camp, the 25-year-old has made it a point to participate in fewer running plays and spend more time on the field in passing situations.

"I would just like to be more productive. There were times last year when it was kind of like hit or miss with me. There were times when I was productive and times when I wasn't," Williams said. "I want to be consistent to the point that I'm productive every Sunday. ... Last year did test my patience. But I think it's only going to make me a better football player."

source:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6943464
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cadillac looking to be more involved in passing game

Postby bravesfan42 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:16 pm

Pick it up Bucs!
bravesfan42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby chidoy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 pm

let's hope it turns out for future or present Caddy owners... especially in PPR leagues.... hopefully
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:46 pm

that'll be sweet for caddy owners... i still don't have him in my top 15 though, even in PPR leagues...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby drinklime » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:32 pm

they said the exact same thing last year, the guy can barely catch
drinklime
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mrblitz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:02 pm

I really like Caddy, he really did dissapointment me last year though. I have high hopes for him this year, but whether or not he's available, when I go to take my RB3, is a wait and see thing.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:27 pm

mrblitz wrote:I really like Caddy, he really did dissapointment me last year though. I have high hopes for him this year, but whether or not he's available, when I go to take my RB3, is a wait and see thing.

Totally, the guy has huge sleeper potential but also huge suck ass potential. If hes there late I'm sure I'll take him. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby sublimeandy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:52 pm

i had him last year and he was extremely dissapointing. i will definitely be cautious about if and where i would take him. i do think that having garcia as the qb will lead to better numbers though. he showed in philly how good he was at managing a game and moving the team up field. TB's O line is not much in comparison to the philly o line though. we'll see.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:59 pm

There was talk about getting him more involved in the passing game last year too and that didn't quite happen the way they were talking. I'm not going to be getting my hopes up personally.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk