Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better?

Postby Boise State Broncos » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:12 pm

I have been doing a lot of fantasy drafts and have noticed that these two are getting drafted pretty close together. WHICH one do YOU think will do better? I personally think Thomas Jones will fare better. but then again, I am biased.... I hate the ravens. I think the ravens O line is about as good as Tampa Bays, and I think that the Jets O line is young but VERY talented. What do you guys think?
Finally got one for the thumb...... now for the other hand...............
Boise State Broncos
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better?

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Mcgahee will I think, but both should put up similar type numbers.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:07 pm

I think McGahee will also but TJ is not a bad 3rd rounder.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby moonhead » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:08 pm

mcgahee hasn't done much for me lately. i think thomas jones has a better chance. all things being equal, mcgahee is the better rusher. but jones seems to get it done. maybe it was a really good line in chicago, but i think jones is on a hot streak. hitting his stride. only time will tell.

cue kensat

thomas jones is a turd
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Gnu314 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:10 pm

McGahee has a higher ceiling but has more risk involved and is consistently going a few to several picks higher. TJ probably will put up his consistent 1200/6 300/2-3 which is what I like about him. To me hes more a dependable no2 with less upside. If I was drafting out of 1/2 and was able to catch TJ on the way back I'ed be happy with it.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby os_gamejunkie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:12 am

Thomas Jones. Jets O-line has gotten younger and better and the Ravens have not. Plus, Jones is a little bit more of an asset cuz he can catch. A better value this year.
os_gamejunkie
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:30 am

Jones is going later than McGahee (usually at least 1 round if not more) and I would rather have Jones in a couple rounds later than I would McGahee. I think McGahee is a better back overall and I think he'll do pretty well in Baltimore but I could see them both putting up pretty similar numbers. Both the Jets and the Ravens are teams that like to run the ball....I wouldn't mind having either of them on my teams this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:59 am

mattb47 wrote:Jones is going later than McGahee (usually at least 1 round if not more) and I would rather have Jones in a couple rounds later than I would McGahee. I think McGahee is a better back overall and I think he'll do pretty well in Baltimore but I could see them both putting up pretty similar numbers. Both the Jets and the Ravens are teams that like to run the ball....I wouldn't mind having either of them on my teams this year.

I really think that Jones could get a much bigger workload than he previously had in Chicago. Two years ago, Jones was the top fantasy RB with his increased role in chicago. Then he dropped off when he was injured and Benson got some work. I really don't think Leon Washington is gonna be much more than a spell guy or maybe someone they use to split out in two back sets. Jones could put up 1st round numbers like he did in 2005 when he was 9th overall for RBs even with a weaker 2nd half.

However, a common misperception is that TJ puts up the receiving yards. It's true in 04 he was big with over 400, but I think that was a product of the QB rotation revolving door. If any back on the Jets is catching passes I'd have to think it's Neon Leon.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby chidoy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 am

IMHO, TJ will. It's close but I'll give it to TJ because of everything stated already. Younger, with a better offense around.
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:26 am

skibrett15 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:Jones is going later than McGahee (usually at least 1 round if not more) and I would rather have Jones in a couple rounds later than I would McGahee. I think McGahee is a better back overall and I think he'll do pretty well in Baltimore but I could see them both putting up pretty similar numbers. Both the Jets and the Ravens are teams that like to run the ball....I wouldn't mind having either of them on my teams this year.

I really think that Jones could get a much bigger workload than he previously had in Chicago. Two years ago, Jones was the top fantasy RB with his increased role in chicago. Then he dropped off when he was injured and Benson got some work. I really don't think Leon Washington is gonna be much more than a spell guy or maybe someone they use to split out in two back sets. Jones could put up 1st round numbers like he did in 2005 when he was 9th overall for RBs even with a weaker 2nd half.

However, a common misperception is that TJ puts up the receiving yards. It's true in 04 he was big with over 400, but I think that was a product of the QB rotation revolving door. If any back on the Jets is catching passes I'd have to think it's Neon Leon.

I agree about the workload. I think he'll get 300+ carries this year and put up some nice numbers. Surprisingly the Jets were near the top in rush attempts last year and my belief is that the only reason they had a split like they did was that they lacked a guy who could carry the load effectively and efficiently and now they have that in Jones.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk