Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better?

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 pm

let's not forget that thomas jones has been brittle in the past. and mcgahee hasn't exactly been free from injuries either.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Boise State Broncos » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:28 pm

good stuff. ya, in every mock draft I have done and every magazine I have looked at, Willis is ranked higher, and he is going at least 10 picks before thomas jones. It looks like the majority of the people in this cafe think that thomas jones will do better, which I agree with also. I really don't see mcgahee as THAT much of an upgrade over Jamal Lewis, and the Ravens line has just gotten worse in my opinion. If Willis McGahee was going to Denver, or Pittsburgh, or somewhere that had a really good O-line then the story would be a little different.

Here is somehing interesting. I did a mock draft last night and Larry Johnson fell to the 7th pick! 7th! I know that the chiefs O-line is not what it used to be, and they relly don't have a passing game, but 7th RB taken? REALLY? whats your take on that?
Finally got one for the thumb...... now for the other hand...............
Boise State Broncos
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:39 pm

TJ has more upside, just like the others said that o-line is young and talented. Just like last year about SJ, you should really go with the player who has more potential. The only change about the Ravens is that they got McGahee. And if TJ is going after McGahee...then SWEET! :P
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Boise State Broncos wrote:good stuff. ya, in every mock draft I have done and every magazine I have looked at, Willis is ranked higher, and he is going at least 10 picks before thomas jones. It looks like the majority of the people in this cafe think that thomas jones will do better, which I agree with also. I really don't see mcgahee as THAT much of an upgrade over Jamal Lewis, and the Ravens line has just gotten worse in my opinion. If Willis McGahee was going to Denver, or Pittsburgh, or somewhere that had a really good O-line then the story would be a little different.

Here is somehing interesting. I did a mock draft last night and Larry Johnson fell to the 7th pick! 7th! I know that the chiefs O-line is not what it used to be, and they relly don't have a passing game, but 7th RB taken? REALLY? whats your take on that?

Well, we're going to disagree on one point here. Willis McGahee is a HUGE upgrade over Jamal Lewis in Baltimore. Lewis had clearly lost a step or two and was nowhere near as explosive as he had been in the past and McGahee is one of the more talented RBs in the NFL....he was just in one of the worst RB situations in the NFL over the past couple of years. Baltimore is an upgrade situation wise from Buffalo in many ways I think. Better overall offense with McNair at the helm and targets in the passing game like Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton and Todd Heap. Better defense keeping games closer so they're able to run the ball more. And I, for one, think that they're offensive line is certainly better than that abomination of a O-Line he ran behind in Buffalo. All in all, I think he's in for a good season....like I said, I think these guys will finish pretty similarly this year.

And I'm not surprised to see LJ drop in some drafts. He has so many questions and risks surrounding him that many believe he's just not worth the trouble or the risk. He just had over 400 carries last year which history tells us is a bad number for a RB as far as their future durability goes. He lost his 2nd hall of fame offensive lineman in 2 years, he'll likely have basically a rookie QB at the helm this year in Brodie Croyle, and I don't think Herm Edwards has any idea how to effectively use a RB. He ran Curtis Martin into the ground by using him inefficiently and excessively and he's working on doing the same thing to LJ....that situation is just a mess.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 pm

Not only is TJ my guy, I've been targeting him as my RB2 in most drafts, usually will get him , if I go rb,rb.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby logan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:15 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Boise State Broncos wrote:good stuff. ya, in every mock draft I have done and every magazine I have looked at, Willis is ranked higher, and he is going at least 10 picks before thomas jones. It looks like the majority of the people in this cafe think that thomas jones will do better, which I agree with also. I really don't see mcgahee as THAT much of an upgrade over Jamal Lewis, and the Ravens line has just gotten worse in my opinion. If Willis McGahee was going to Denver, or Pittsburgh, or somewhere that had a really good O-line then the story would be a little different.

Well, we're going to disagree on one point here. Willis McGahee is a HUGE upgrade over Jamal Lewis in Baltimore. Lewis had clearly lost a step or two and was nowhere near as explosive as he had been in the past and McGahee is one of the more talented RBs in the NFL....he was just in one of the worst RB situations in the NFL over the past couple of years. Baltimore is an upgrade situation wise from Buffalo in many ways I think. Better overall offense with McNair at the helm and targets in the passing game like Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton and Todd Heap. Better defense keeping games closer so they're able to run the ball more. And I, for one, think that they're offensive line is certainly better than that abomination of a O-Line he ran behind in Buffalo. All in all, I think he's in for a good season....like I said, I think these guys will finish pretty similarly this year.

And I'm not surprised to see LJ drop in some drafts. He has so many questions and risks surrounding him that many believe he's just not worth the trouble or the risk. He just had over 400 carries last year which history tells us is a bad number for a RB as far as their future durability goes. He lost his 2nd hall of fame offensive lineman in 2 years, he'll likely have basically a rookie QB at the helm this year in Brodie Croyle, and I don't think Herm Edwards has any idea how to effectively use a RB. He ran Curtis Martin into the ground by using him inefficiently and excessively and he's working on doing the same thing to LJ....that situation is just a mess.

not to mention the very good possibility of a hold out for LJ. peterson's ego is way way to huge for this not to get ugly if johnsons asking price is high like it's expected to be.now if he signs then i would seriously doubt you see him out of the top 4 at worst in drafts.

as far as mcgahee vs jones i can see them putting up pretty similar numbers and i might slightly give the edge to willis overall but i would probably take the chance on jones as you can get him later and draft a top wideout in round two if one remains and not be hamstrung by doing so as long as you think you can nab jones which has been possible in most of my mocks so far.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:36 pm

Baltimore's offense is so overated...McNair, Mason, Heap....all great on paper, but no huge numbers there...even with heap. Mcgahee is always full of excuses...I'd take TJ anyday...by that point in the draft...the solid no joke RB2s are just about gone.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bravesfan42 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:41 pm

I'll go with Jones. Not to mention you can get him lower than Willis.
bravesfan42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby shaba » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:39 am

I dont see either one blowing the other away. But I think TJ should put up better #'s the Willis this year..
shaba
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 14)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:28 am

This pretty much sums it up, they'll finish pretty similar, but I do believe Willis is the more talented of the two and has a bit more upside.

Joeybagadonuts wrote:Baltimore's offense is so overated...McNair, Mason, Heap....all great on paper, but no huge numbers there...even with heap. Mcgahee is always full of excuses...I'd take TJ anyday...by that point in the draft...the solid no joke RB2s are just about gone.

No huge numbers but they are consistent. Baltimore's offense has never been about a flashy passing game, its about running the ball and playing amazing defense. Which is exactly why Willis will put up great numbers this year.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk