Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Willis Mcgahee or Thomas Jones? which will do better?

Postby kimmer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:46 am

Jones will be a steal in most draft but Mcgehee will be a first rounder for sure.
But I think there stats will be around the same.
kimmer
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Little Big Head » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:40 pm

The Jets rushed 491 times and scored 15 rushing tds last year with crap at the position. Id be surprised if Baltimore stacked up that well in comparison.While I do think Washington is a talented scat back, I believe he will be used much the way the Pats use Faulk, and that he wont have a major impact on TJs production and that includes catching passes out of the backfield.
As for Mcgahee....I do think he a definite upgrade over Lewis, but Ill pass on him until he gets the Jets on his schedule at least 8 times a year
Little Big Head
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:52 pm

I think they'll put up very, very similar numbers- but Willis is going earlier than TJ, making Jones more valuable...

Both are nice players though, I wouldn't have a problem with either as a RB2.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zirco33 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 pm

It's close but I'll give it to TJ because of everything stated already. Younger, with a better offense around.[/quote]

I like Jones better too. People will rank McGahee higher because his team loves to run the ball but look out for the J...E...T...S... JETS, JETS, JETS!
zirco33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:54 pm

zirco33 wrote:It's close but I'll give it to TJ because of everything stated already. Younger, with a better offense around.

I like Jones better too. People will rank McGahee higher because his team loves to run the ball but look out for the J...E...T...S... JETS, JETS, JETS![/quote]

Interesting stat on that front. New York Jets had 491 carries last season (7th in NFL) and Baltimore had 476 carries last year (11th in NFL)....so I'd say that it's almost safe to say that the Jets love to run the ball as much or more than Baltimore does.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:19 pm

mattb47 wrote:
zirco33 wrote:
chidoy wrote:It's close but I'll give it to TJ because of everything stated already. Younger, with a better offense around.

I like Jones better too. People will rank McGahee higher because his team loves to run the ball but look out for the J...E...T...S... JETS, JETS, JETS!

Interesting stat on that front. New York Jets had 491 carries last season (7th in NFL) and Baltimore had 476 carries last year (11th in NFL)....so I'd say that it's almost safe to say that the Jets love to run the ball as much or more than Baltimore does.

I'm being extremely lazy by not checking the numbers here myself, but wouldn't it make more sense to not compare them as straight across numbers? They should be compared as a percentage of overall plays. My guess is that Baltimore and the Jets had the same amount of plays (or at least close enough to be negligible for percentages), but it's still best to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:43 pm

New York Jets:
Rushing Plays: 491 (87% of these to RBs)
Passing Plays: 488
Total Plays: 979 (50.1% of plays were running plays)
% of plays where RBs touched ball (both rushing and receiving): 49.1% (481 plays)

Baltimore Ravens:
Rushing Plays: 476 (84% of these to RBs)
Passing Plays: 524
Total Plays: 1000 (47.6% of plays were running plays)
% of plays where RBs touched ball (both rushing and receiving): 47.1% (471 plays)
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 pm

mrblitz wrote:Not only is TJ my guy, I've been targeting him as my RB2 in most drafts, usually will get him , if I go rb,rb.

Same. I love him as my RB2, but in one of my big money league's he my RB3 behind Portis and Alexander who are my RB1 and RB2.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby zirco33 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Thats a great RB core! Depending on match ups... TJ may be the better option for #2RB over Portis.
zirco33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:29 pm

zirco33 wrote:Thats a great RB core! Depending on match ups... TJ may be the better option for #2RB over Portis.

Yup. I was shocked when I landed those three along with Jamal Lewis, J. Jones, and LaMont Jordan for trade bait to teams with no RBs and landed Fitz, Ward, Branch and CJ2.

Anyways, I think Jones is going to have a massive year. 1300 - 5 - 8 with 200 - 300 recieving and 2 or 3 TDs on the side of those 5 - 8 rushing ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk