Definitive RB Thread '07 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Definitive RB Thread '07

Moderator: Football Moderators

Definitive RB Thread '07

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:32 am

Ok, this will be similar to what we had last year with basically an updating depth chart of all of the RB situations across the NFL. I will attempt to include some analysis from my end of what I expect from each team on how they will use their RBs but that will come as time allows. I will work to keep this updated throughout the off season and regular season as changes arise. Feel free to post any and all new stories that may give us a clearer picture of what's going on in different places.

Please note that the depth charts themselves will be as close to factual as possible. If I provide analysis please note that it is my best educated opinion on what will happen in each place and I will make sure I note that it is an opinion. Enjoy!

~Special Thanks to Biju for putting the initial depth charts together to get this thing rolling. ;-D

----
Edit list:
Buffalo Bills - Probably a split between Anthony Thomas and Marshawn Lynch. Lynch to possibly be used split out as a WR on some plays.
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4817
----

Arizona Cardinals
RBs: Edgerrin James, J.J. Arrington, Marcel Shipp
Injuries: None
Notes:
Starter: Edgerrin James
Opinion: Edge is the man in Arizona and will see a good majority of the carries. I expect a similar workload as last year with possibly more use in the passing game but with better production. Also, as the offensive line improves, I think you'll see more of Arrington as a change of pace than you will see Shipp...but neither is worth a roster spot except in very deep leagues.

Atlanta Falcons
RBs: Warrick Dunn, Jerious Norwood, Jason Snelling, Jamal Robertson
Notes:
Starter: Warrick Dunn / Norwood
Opinion: Dunn will probably start the season as the starter but don't be surprised to see more and more of Norwood as the season wears on. I don't believe either will be a top fantasy back because they will both see enough carries to restrict the other's numbers...but both could be possible flex players.

Baltimore Ravens
RBs: Willis McGahee, Musa Smith, Mike Anderson, P.J. Daniels
Notes:
Starter: Willis McGahee
Opinion: The Ravens gave a struggling Jamal Lewis 314 carries this past year...I would expect McGahee to see a few more carries with better production. I expect him to be above 4.0 ypc this year.

Buffalo Bills
RBs: Marshawn Lynch, Anthony Thomas, Dwayne Wright, Shaud Williams
Notes: Probable split between Anthony Thomas and Marshawn Lynch with Lynch most likely taking over the 3rd down plays and possibly split out at WR on some plays and formations.
Starter: Anthony Thomas / Marshawn Lynch
Opinion: Coach Dick Jauron likes Anthony Thomas and even though Lynch is certainly more talented, I would expect them to go with a two-back approach this year. They'll probably use Lynch in a variety of ways trying to maximize his abilities, but he'll probably lose goal line and short yardage at the very least to Thomas.

Carolina Panthers
RBs: DeShaun Foster, DeAngelo Williams, Nick Goings, Eric Shelton
Notes:
Starter: DeShaun Foster / DeAngelo Williams
Opinion: The new OC is implementing an offense very similar to what Williams ran in college at Memphis and so I think he has an immediate advantage in this battle for carries. Foster may still be the "starter" technically, but I think Williams will be getting more carries this year and is the more valuable back right now.

Chicago Bears
RBs: Cedric Benson, Adrian Peterson, Garrett Wolfe
Injuries: Cedric Benson: Knee (Probable for Camp)
Notes:
Starter: Cedric Benson
Opinion: The biggest concern with Benson is his durability, he's struggled to stay healthy since he entered the league and has only been in a partial role thusfar. We don't really know how he'll handle the load and Adrian Peterson is a must as a handcuff this year. If he is able to handle the load, however, the Bears love to run the ball and he'll have a monster season.

Cincinnati Bengals
RBs: Rudi Johnson, Kenny Irons, Kenny Watson, Chris Perry
Injuries: Chris Perry: Leg
Notes: Perry is a candidate to possibly start the season on the PUP list.
Starter: Rudi Johnson
Opinion: Rudi is Mr. Consistent getting his 12 TDs every year and he should be back up to his normal 1400 yards as well. Look for Kenny Irons to be the primary backup and to spell Rudi when he needs a break. Could get a look as the 3rd down back as well as he has great explosiveness which is something Rudi lacks. Rudi is still a quality #1 RB.

Cleveland Browns
RBs: Jamal Lewis, Jerome Harrison, Jason Wright
Notes:
Starter: Jamal Lewis
Opinion: Most expectations are pretty low for Lewis in Cleveland. I think you'll probably see similar production to what he had in Baltimore having an OK offensive line and mediocre passing game. He reportedly says he's healthier than he has been in years, but we heard that last year too...he's a risk but I'd take him as a #3 or #4 RB.

Dallas Cowboys
RBs: Julius Jones, Marion Barber III, Tyson Thompson
Notes:
Starter: Julius Jones / Marion Barber III
Opinion: Most likely we'll see a split in some form again in Dallas this year but because of the new coaching staff we don't really know exactly what it's going to look like. Jones will probably still be the starter and will likely still see more of the carries, but we'll have to wait and see who the coaching staff likes more out of the two backs.

Denver Broncos
RBs: Travis Henry, Mike Bell, Cedric Cobbs
Notes:
Starter: Travis Henry
Opinion: Many are concerned about Shanahan not sticking with Henry over the course of the season but I'm personally not worried. Henry is a great back for this system as he is an excellent one cut and go type of runner which is what Denver needs in the backfield. He's the most talented RB they've had since Portis left and should be in for a great year (barring injury of course).

Detroit Lions
RBs: Tatum Bell, Kevin Jones, TJ Duckett, Brian Calhoun, Aveion Cason
Injuries: Kevin Jones: Foot
Notes: Jones could possibly start the season on the PUP list giving Bell the opportunity to begin the season as the starter.
Starter: Tatum Bell
Opinion: I believe Jones is the starter if he can come back healthy, but until he does the door is wide open for Tatum Bell to take over as the starter and get most of the action for the Lions early on in the season. Duckett could factor in on goal line plays.

Green Bay Packers
RBs: Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron, DeShawn Wynn
Notes:
Starter: Vernand Morency / Brandon Jackson
Opinion: This one is up in the air right now. Morency has a slight advantage having played in Green Bay for half of the season last year even starting some games but Jackson certainly has a great opportunity to grab the starting job. Most likely will end up being a split of some sort no matter who gets the starting job.

Houston Texans
RBs: Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Samkon Gado, Wali Lundy
Notes:
Starter: Ahman Green
Opinion: Green is clearly the best back on the roster for the Texans and with the 2nd year in Kubiak's running schemes, the Texans could have that run offense be much improved from last year. Green is a big upgrade from anyone they had last year and could put up Dominick Davis type numbers if he can stay healthy all year.

Indianapolis Colts
RBs: Joseph Addai, DeDe Dorsey, Kory Chapman, Kenton Keith
Notes:
Starter: Joseph Addai
Opinion: There are rumors that the Colts still plan on using a 2 back system with DeDe Dorsey being the second back teaming up with Addai. Even if this is true, I still expect Addai to receive most of the touches with Dorsey getting more than a normal backup but not nearly as severe of a split as it was last year.

Jacksonville Jaguars
RBs: Fred Taylor, Maurice Jones-Drew, Greg Jones, Alvin Pearman, LaBrandon Toefield
Notes:
Starter: Fred Taylor / Maurice Jones-Drew
Opinion: This could be a dreaded 3-way split this year with Fred Taylor, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Greg Jones all getting some opportunities. Jones is back this year after suffering a season ending injury in pre-season of last year and will likely factor in some way this year. As of right now Taylor is still the starter, but expect him and Jones-Drew to see a similar amount of touches.

Kansas City Chiefs
RBs: Larry Johnson, Michael Bennett, Derrick Ross, Kolby Smith, Priest Holmes
Notes:
Starter: Larry Johnson
Opinion: Some concerns surrounding LJ with respect to the heavy workload he sustained last season. I don't expect him to eclipse 400 carries again, but he'll likely come close if he doesn't break down at some point due to overuse.

Miami Dolphins
RBs: Ronnie Brown, Lorenzo Booker, Jesse Chatman, Reagan Mauia
Notes:
Starter: Ronnie Brown
Opinion: If Brown stays healthy he'll see nearly all the carries this year. Booker isn't a huge concern to take many carries away and with Brown being an excellent receiving back I would be surprised to see him come out on 3rd downs as well. New coach Cameron knows how to use a RB so it could be a big year for Brown.

Minnesota Vikings
RBs: Chester Taylor, Adrian Peterson, Mewelde Moore, Artose Pinner
Notes:
Starter: Chester Taylor / Adrian Peterson
Opinion: The Vikings didn't draft Peterson to have him sit on the bench, he'll be used and probably used plenty this year. I expect Peterson to end the year with more carries than Taylor with Peterson being the more talented back but expect a split of some kind all season long.

New England Patriots
RBs: Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Justise Hairston
Injuries: Laurence Maroney: Shoulder
Notes:
Starter: Laurence Maroney
Opinion: Many concerns have arisen about Maroney's ability to handle the full load himself and the shoulder injury is a concern to some as well. He's in a very productive offense for RBs and if he can manage to stay healthy he'll put up big numbers. Kevin Faulk will likely be used on 3rd downs and should Maroney struggle durability wise we could see more of Faulk and Morris.

New Orleans Saints
RBs: Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, Aaron Stecker, Antonio Pittman
Notes:
Starter: Deuce McAllister / Reggie Bush
Opinion: I expect a split nearly identical to the one we saw last year between these two players. Why mess with something that works? Bush will likely be used in a variety of ways just like last season and both players may be on the field together quite a bit.

New York Giants
RBs: Brandon Jacobs, Reuben Droughns, Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw
Notes:
Starter: Brandon Jacobs
Opinion: Jacobs is the man for the start of the season and if he shows he can handle the load he'll be the man all season long. Droughns was brought in to take some of the wear off Jacobs' shoulders and will be used if necessary. Some concerns about Jacobs' ability to be an every down back, but he's got enormous upside.

New York Jets
RBs: Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Cedric Houston
Notes:
Starter: Thomas Jones
Opinion: The Jets want to run the ball a lot and although they used a committee situation last year with the RBs they had, this year I would expect Jones to see the ball over 300 times. Jones is a far better back than anything they had last year and while he may lose some 3rd down plays to Leon Washington, I expect him to bear most of the load.

Oakland Raiders
RBs: LaMont Jordan, Dominic Rhodes, Justin Fargas, Michael Bush
Notes:
Starter: LaMont Jordan / Dominic Rhodes
Opinion: Rhodes was brought in to try to have that 1-2 punch that so many teams are going to now. So expect Jordan and Rhodes to see similar time splitting carries and touches this year for the Raiders. Neither is really a great fantasy option at this point because the Raiders have many problems on the O-line and no real passing game to speak of.

Philadelphia Eagles
RBs: Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter, Tony Hunt, Ryan Moats
Notes:
Starter: Brian Westbrook
Opinion: Westbrook will still see most of the carries and touches by RBs this year yet again but don't be surprised to see rookie Tony Hunt in there stealing some goal line and short yardage carries.

Pittsburgh Steelers
RBs: Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Kevan Barlow, Verron Haynes, Gary Russell
Notes:
Starter: Willie Parker
Opinion: The Steelers didn't add anyone of consequence in free agency or through the draft at RB and Willie Parker will yet again see a good majority of the carries. They are supposedly implementing more of a spread type offense which is supposed to open up more running room for Parker this year and could take better advantage of his speed.

San Diego Chargers
RBs: LaDainian Tomlinson, Michael Turner, Darren Sproles
Notes:
Starter: LaDainian Tomlinson
Opinion: Tomlinson will get used plenty this year and used well by new head coach Norv Turner who has historically been very good for RBs. Since Micheal Turner is still on the roster I would expect Turner to find some creative ways to use both backs this year although LT will still see most of the carries and touches this year.

San Francisco 49ers
RBs: Frank Gore, Maurice Hicks, Michael Robinson, Thomas Clayton
Notes:
Starter: Frank Gore
Opinion: Some concern over OC Norv Turner leaving but Gore proved to be a good back last season and could be in for an even better encore this year. Some concerns will always surround him durability wise with previous major knee injuries to both knees but he's got tremendous upside on an up and coming team.

Seattle Seahawks
RBs: Shaun Alexander, Maurice Morris, Marquis Weeks
Notes:
Starter: Shaun Alexander
Opinion: Alexander is supposedly back and healthy this year and if so we could see some of the old SA back again this season. Morris is no real threat to take anything from Alexander in the running game and so as long as he stays healthy he'll see nearly all the carries.

St. Louis Rams
RBs: Steven Jackson, Brian Leonard, Kay-Jay Harris, Travis Minor
Notes:
Starter: Steven Jackson
Opinion: Jackson will see the ball plenty this year. Coach Linehan established last year that he's devoted to using Jackson plenty both in the running game and through the air and you can probably expect more of the same this year. Rookie Brian Leonard could factor in as a full back and probably primary backup for Jackson when he needs a breather, but right now he's no real threat for carries.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
RBs: Carnell Williams, Michael Pittman, Earnest Graham, Kenneth Darby
Notes:
Starter: Carnell Williams
Opinion: Williams has struggled since early on in his rookie campaign but is looking to bounce back this year with hopefully an improved passing game with Jeff Garcia and better O-Line play. He'll lose 3rd down plays to Pittman and Alstott is always there to steal some TDs and short yardage plays.

Tennessee Titans
RBs: LenDale White, Chris Brown, Chris Henry
Notes:
Starter: LenDale White
Opinion: This is another situation that is completely up in the air. The Titans would have loved for White to step up and be the man this season being the most talented RB on the roster but his work ethic is lacking and with Chris Brown resigned and them drafting Chris Henry, the starting spot is wide open for next season.

Washington Redskins
RBs: Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Derrick Blaylock
Notes:
Starter: Clinton Portis
Opinion: This is one situation that much debate has arisen over what the split will be between Portis and Betts after Betts had a strong half of a season last year. Portis has clearly been named the starter and I personally expect a 70/30 type of split this year. Washington ran the ball 490 times last season (about 30 attempts per game) and this year I would expect about 450 of those carries to go to their RBs which puts Portis at about 315 carries and Betts at about 135 carries this season barring an injury of course.
Last edited by mattb47 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Definitive RB Thread '07

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:03 pm

are we sure about the titans backfield? i guess it's really too early to know, but...i thought lendale was back in the doghouse after showing up overweight, out of shape, and late. again.

thanks for putting this together matt. big ups. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:38 pm

Great job Matt. One thing I noticed was that you listed Blaylock for the Jets. He was cut a few months ago and is currently fighting for a roster spot in Washington. ;-D

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 785&spln=1

Cartwright, Blaylock competing for one spot?
Rock Cartwright - RB - WAS - Jun. 17 - 10:42 pm et
Running backs Rock Cartwright and Derrick Blaylock may be competing for one roster spot in Washington.
The Redskins could go into the season with only three backs on the roster if Clinton Portis' rehab continues to go smoothly. Cartwright would seem to have the upper hand due to his special teams value, but Blaylock knows offensive coordinator Al Saunders well from their days in Kansas City. Jun. 17 - 10:42 pm et
Source: redskins.com

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:39 pm

moonhead wrote:are we sure about the titans backfield? i guess it's really too early to know, but...i thought lendale was back in the doghouse after showing up overweight, out of shape, and late. again.

thanks for putting this together matt. big ups. ;-D

That's one of the big ??? this year in the backfields....same with Green Bay, we don't really know who will be starting and so maybe I should just put ??? for the starter currently.... :-b
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:35 pm

Stickied.. ;-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:01 pm

For Baltimore Musa Smith should be the #2, even if not currently listed on their depth chart he is listed in their Players Page

sportsline.com wrote:The Ravens have re-signed RB Musa Smith to a one-year deal. Smith will likely back up whomever is the starting tailback for the club in 2007. "It's good to have Musa back," said GM Ozzie Newsome. "Having surgery during the season put him ahead in his recovery. He will be ready for the start of training camp. Whenever we've put him on the field, he's produced. We're looking forward to having a healthy Musa help us."
(Updated 03/06/2007).
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:33 pm

Should Duckett be listed on the Lions?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:03 pm

I'll start working on those now....I basically copied and pasted from what Biju had and I haven't had a chance to really run through it yet. I'm going to do that now and update some of the changes you guys recommended. Thanks. ;-D
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if you are going to list those who will be getting some carries or what not but a bit on
Arizona:

The East Valley Tribune reports that Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt has been in contact with RB Edgerrin James and wants him to be ready to lose some carries over the course of the season. Last year, James was worked hard, carrying the ball 337 times out of Arizona's 378 rushing attempts. "I said, 'Edgerrin, if you run 1,000 plays in the course of a season and we are 55 or 58 percent run, that is 580 plays,'" Whisenhunt said. "I said, 'Edgerrin, you are not going to carry the ball 580 times. You're not going to do it.' He (said), 'OK coach, OK. But you got to get me my carries.' He's a good back. But he's not going to get every carry."

James is expected to lose a handful of reps each week to Marcel Shipp and J.J. Arrington, but it remains to be seen if either of those rushers will rob James of goal-line carries (Shipp did towards the end of 2007). Owners shouldn't be too worried. View him as a low-end No. 2 RB option who should have at least one more good year left in the tank as he enters 2007 as a 29-year-old runner who has played seven full or near-full seasons in eight years. Expect to see him go somewhere in the second round in most drafts this summer.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:13 pm

Atlanta: Jason Snelling (Rookie) should be listed as the #3

In an interview with CBS SportsLine, Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said he has yet to come up with a finalized version of how he'll use running backs Warrick Dunn and Jerious Norwood, mainly because he hasn't seen Dunn work at 100 percent yet. Moreover, the coach made special mention of seventh-round pick Jason Snelling from Virginia, who he hopes can handle the short yardage and goal-line work for the Falcons in 2007. "He started off a little slow in minicamp but got better each day and was starting to see things and make some cuts," Petrino said of Snelling. "He'd be a cross between a big running back and play some fullback. And he's got really good hands, so he's a very valuable part of the puzzle."
(Updated 05/14/2007).

The coach was also very emphatic over Norwood's ability, citing his "speed and ability to go the distance." It's going to be a very interesting preseason in Atlanta as they sort out how they will run the ball. The likely scenario is that the Falcons split Dunn and Norwood except when they need Snelling (a 5-foot-11, 232 pounder) to gain a couple of yards, including when they're going in for six. If that comes to fruition, then Dunn and Norwood are at best middle-end No. 3 Fantasy running backs while Snelling will be worth a late-round pick and a possible sleeper who could put up a few touchdowns. Without question, keep tabs on this trio and see how the Falcons use them in the coming months.
(Updated 05/14/2007).

Atlantafalcon.com's article on Norwood (nothing to revealing)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk