Thoughts on Flex position / Keeper league combo? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Thoughts on Flex position / Keeper league combo?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Flex position / Keeper league combo?

Postby bdt13 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:38 am

Gang,

Last year we implemented two new rules in our 12 team, vanilla scoring league.

1. We added a flex position . This made the starting lineup 1 QB , 2 RB, 2 WR , 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D

2. We added a keeper. Starting this year we can keep anyone we drafted last year 4th round or later and stayed on our team all year. If we keep a player we lose a 4th round pick this year.

The effect I saw on our draft last year : RBs went off the boards like crazy. Quite a few teams wanted to have 3 RBs so they could start one in the Flex. If you waited on RBs, you didn't get squat. (For instance I went RB in rounds 1 and 3, and wound up getting Rhodes as my 3rd RB in round 6)

My concern now that we are into year 2 of this rule: RBs will again be scarce because of the Flex rule, and now some teams will be keeping RBs, which will make RBs even more scarce.

Do you think these rules are detremental? Will teams who wind up with a low draft pick get screwed over on the RB side? Or does everything even itself out? (i.e. these are teams that will get stud WRs or QBs so it really doesn't matter).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
bdt13
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on Flex position / Keeper league combo?

Postby ironcityboy88 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:50 pm

I think everything usually evens out, but have you ever heard of the 3RR (3rd round reverse order) that some leagues are going to? In a serpentine draft, it would go like 1st round 1-12, 2nd round 12-1, 3rd round 12-1, 4th round 1-12, 5th round 12-1, and so on....this seems like a solid idea; however, I have never employed this in my leagues.
ironcityboy88
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dgan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:02 am

Well, I'm sure people get tired of my posts beginning with "what my league does..." when presented with this question :-b But the RB value/scarcity issue comes up so much, I offer this advice to anyone looking for ideas. Also, our league is a one keeper with the flex as well, so I think I know where you're coming from.

My league adds QB as an option in the flex. Not all providers support this, so you'd have to check with your scoring provider and see if it is an option. But because a 2nd QB generally will score more than a 3rd RB in most scoring systems, this adds a good deal of value to QBs. At the same time, it doesn't add all the issues that most 2QB leagues have. Basically, if you have a 2nd QB to start, that's what you want to do...if you don't you can start a RB, and if you're really desperate you can start a WR or TE.

I have found this really evens things out and gives owners a lot more options dealing with injuries and such. I led my league in scoring last year juggling Westy, Chester Taylor, and McGahee (my keeper)...all good backs but not LT or LJ. It is because I had Peyton Manning and stole Vick several rounds deep into the draft, and of course he blew up. Those two starting almost every week (Vick in the flex) made up for my deficiency at RB. It does undermine the value of WRs even more, but that is not as bad as seeing 25 straight RBs taken in a draft.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bdt13 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the input!

I've decided to remove the flex position alltogether and go with a 2 RB 3 WR starting lineup. I figure this should take some pressure off of the RB drafting and encourage people to draft WRs sooner. Hopefully this will mean folks drafting late in the draft who don't have keepers (and I'm guessing about half the teams won't have keepers) will have better luck with their picks!

Do you think adding points per reception may also help in this scenario (trying to make RBs valuable but not overwhelmingly so)?
bdt13
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

Postby aman74 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:29 am

dgan wrote:Well, I'm sure people get tired of my posts beginning with "what my league does..." when presented with this question :-b But the RB value/scarcity issue comes up so much, I offer this advice to anyone looking for ideas. Also, our league is a one keeper with the flex as well, so I think I know where you're coming from.

My league adds QB as an option in the flex. Not all providers support this, so you'd have to check with your scoring provider and see if it is an option. But because a 2nd QB generally will score more than a 3rd RB in most scoring systems, this adds a good deal of value to QBs. At the same time, it doesn't add all the issues that most 2QB leagues have. Basically, if you have a 2nd QB to start, that's what you want to do...if you don't you can start a RB, and if you're really desperate you can start a WR or TE.

I have found this really evens things out and gives owners a lot more options dealing with injuries and such. I led my league in scoring last year juggling Westy, Chester Taylor, and McGahee (my keeper)...all good backs but not LT or LJ. It is because I had Peyton Manning and stole Vick several rounds deep into the draft, and of course he blew up. Those two starting almost every week (Vick in the flex) made up for my deficiency at RB. It does undermine the value of WRs even more, but that is not as bad as seeing 25 straight RBs taken in a draft.

This is interesting, but how does it not introduce the issues that a normal 2QB league has and what are those issues. I would think that since QB's have the most scoring potential most people would draft with starting one in the flex and then it basically is like have a 2QB league, but I'm sure I'm missing something here.

And what is your starting lineup? I'm curious 2 or 3 WR's? And are QB touchdowns devalued?
Finally won a league last year.
aman74
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner