Need advice please about BN players!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need advice please about BN players!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need advice please about BN players!!

Postby brahner » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am

I'm the commish of a 10 team, H2H league. Roster positions:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
W/R
TE
K
D
D
D
4 Bench players

I originally had 5 bench players, but somebody was requesting that # be lowered to leave free agency with more talent. Am I wrong in thinking that it's not a good idea to have tons of talent available to constantly benefit all other teams who didn't draft as well as everyone else?

I know there needs to be some talent out there, but considering that Yahoo has no DL, and adding to that all the bye weeks, or maybe just better match-ups than other players week to week -- is it wrong for me to think that 5 or maybe even 6 or 7 bench players is not entirely too much?
Last edited by brahner on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brahner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need advice please!!

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:01 am

4 bench positions is way too few. For your set-up, I would probably go 9-10 bench positions
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brahner » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 am

I completely agree with you, but the other guys requesting fewer BN players apparently think you shouldn't have players "stock-piled" on teams. I don't think you should be able to grab somebody off the wire any given week that has the potential to rush for 150 yards, or catch 10 balls @ 100 yards, etc.. I know I'm exxagerating a little, but you get my drift.

Those guys requesting this change have more years under their belt, but I just don't know how to address the situation because we're friends...
brahner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby chk57 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 pm

Isn't that what trading is for?
chk57
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: Need advice please about BN players!!

Postby ironcityboy88 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:24 pm

In a ten team league with your starting requirements, you should have a total number of around 18/19 players per team...
ironcityboy88
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:09 pm

When you're starting 11 players, you need to have a lot more bench spots than 4. Make it 9 minimum.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby brahner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks for all the advice. Ironcity, I tried clicking your link but it was a bad one, if you re-post it again I'll go to it..

I hate to beat a dead horse, but does anyone think I'd be better off reducing my roster requirements, or keeping them the same and adding the more bench players. I like playing with 11 players, and 3 of them are on D anyways. Thanks!
brahner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:03 am

brahner wrote:I hate to beat a dead horse, but does anyone think I'd be better off reducing my roster requirements, or keeping them the same and adding the more bench players. I like playing with 11 players, and 3 of them are on D anyways. Thanks!

I think your starting requirements are fine...just add bench players ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby dgan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 am

I'm in a 10 team league and we have 25 players per roster...no IDP. And you can still find some waiver wire material from time to time. I think your owners are just plain lazy, to tell you the truth.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:04 am

brahner wrote:Thanks for all the advice. Ironcity, I tried clicking your link but it was a bad one, if you re-post it again I'll go to it..

I hate to beat a dead horse, but does anyone think I'd be better off reducing my roster requirements, or keeping them the same and adding the more bench players. I like playing with 11 players, and 3 of them are on D anyways. Thanks!

Like most people have said, 4 bench players is far too few for your starting requirements. I have one league that starts 9 (qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr/rb, te, k, d) and only has 5 bench players. I thought that kinda sucked last year. It does keep the WW more active but IMO that's not what fantasy football should be about. I think you should be able to draft a team with the proper amount of backups to take injuries & bye weeks into consideration. With small benches you sometimes end up having to drop good players just to get a bye week replacement. Why should another owner benefit from your draft just because the bench is too small? I'd keep your starting requirements the way they are and increase the bench to 7 or 9. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Commissioner's Corner