Impact Rookies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Impact Rookies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Impact Rookies

Postby jizzario » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:17 am

In my league we have to start a rookie. Who are some rookies I should target? What round should I draft target them?(I have the 10th, 15th, 34th...snake draft)

Dynasty, Three player keeper league:
Starter must include (11): QB, RB(2), WR(3), TE, K, DEF, ROOKIE(any pos.) , Flex(any pos.)

Standard scoring + 1 PPR

Narrowed down to these guys for my keepers.
RB Addai, Joseph IND
RB Gore, Frank SFO
RB Johnson, Rudi CIN
RB Westbrook, Brian PHI
I am taking offers for one of these guys (Rudi preferably) since I have to drop one pre-draft. I do have one offer that is interesting. My 10th, 34th and Addai for 2nd and 26th. That would give me 2nd, 15th and 26th with three pretty good keepers and early picks to start building around them. Addai's PPR and age are holding me up, should I wait for offers that include Rudi instead?

OPINIONS PLEASE
jizzario
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Impact Rookies

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:30 am

jizzario wrote:In my league we have to start a rookie. Who are some rookies I should target? What round should I draft target them?(I have the 10th, 15th, 34th...snake draft)

Dynasty, Three player keeper league:
Starter must include (11): QB, RB(2), WR(3), TE, K, DEF, ROOKIE(any pos.) , Flex(any pos.)

Standard scoring + 1 PPR

Narrowed down to these guys for my keepers.
RB Addai, Joseph IND
RB Gore, Frank SFO
RB Johnson, Rudi CIN
RB Westbrook, Brian PHI
I am taking offers for one of these guys (Rudi preferably) since I have to drop one pre-draft. I do have one offer that is interesting. My 10th, 34th and Addai for 2nd and 26th. That would give me 2nd, 15th and 26th with three pretty good keepers and early picks to start building around them. Addai's PPR and age are holding me up, should I wait for offers that include Rudi instead?

OPINIONS PLEASE

I don't know the rest of your roster or how solid the roster is for the LT team. But you might try to trade Rudi,Gore and your top WR (or a draft pick) for LT. That would give you excellent keepers. Even if it cost you your top draft pick. As for the other trade you mentioned, I don't think I like that one. I'd rather have Addai.

As for targeting a rookie that HAS to start, I'd target a TE or kicker. Or even draft both a rookie TE and a rookie kicker. You can get these way later in the draft and their point difference wouldn't hurt you. You can continue to grab top vets that will drop a bit in the middle rounds as others grab their rookies.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:37 pm

I'd go with everyone's favorite rookie: Marshawn Lynch.

If he is there at number 10, jump on it. I wouldn't do that trade. Joseph Addai is going 5th overall in a re-draft so I don't think that the number 2 overall (equivalent to the 4th round) is really worth it. If you have to, just trade Rudi for some picks.
Fantasy Man 27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:41 pm

I disagree entirely. In my opinion, you have to go for a rookie quarterback.

You can start a rookie at any position. Quarterbacks score a lot of points, relative to the other positions. Therefore, it behooves you to have a rookie quarterback on your roster.

The big problem here is that not many rookie quarterbacks look likely to start. JaMarcus Russell will start at some point during the season, but he has competition in Josh McCown. Brady Quinn is currently behind Derek Anderson and possibly Charlie Frye as well in Cleveland. Drew Stanton is a long-term project in Detroit; John Beck could see playing time in Miami if Trent Green doesn't work out. Troy Smith in Baltimore is a dark-horse candidate - he's behind Steve McNair (age, injury concerns) and Kyle Boller (sucks).

If I couldn't get Russell, I would try drafting one (or more) of the others, along with a rookie kicker (the two who will most likely start are Mason Crosby and Justin Medlock, and you could likely get either in the last 3 rounds of the draft). You can start the kicker and hope that one of the quarterbacks gets the starting job at some point.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:51 pm

Definitley don't do the trade. Basically you're trading a 4th and 6th round pick in an initial dynasty and Joseph Addai for a higher 4th and a higher 6th. Would you even trade a 1st rounder (Addai) for a 4th and a 6th in a dynasty draft?

Basically, you should target the guys that are going to get playing time right away. Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, CJ2, and possibly Chris Henry, Dwayne Jarrett, and Brandon Jackson are the best candidates in my mind.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Atog » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:I disagree entirely. In my opinion, you have to go for a rookie quarterback.

You can start a rookie at any position. Quarterbacks score a lot of points, relative to the other positions. Therefore, it behooves you to have a rookie quarterback on your roster.

The big problem here is that not many rookie quarterbacks look likely to start. JaMarcus Russell will start at some point during the season, but he has competition in Josh McCown. Brady Quinn is currently behind Derek Anderson and possibly Charlie Frye as well in Cleveland. Drew Stanton is a long-term project in Detroit; John Beck could see playing time in Miami if Trent Green doesn't work out. Troy Smith in Baltimore is a dark-horse candidate - he's behind Steve McNair (age, injury concerns) and Kyle Boller (sucks).

If I couldn't get Russell, I would try drafting one (or more) of the others, along with a rookie kicker (the two who will most likely start are Mason Crosby and Justin Medlock, and you could likely get either in the last 3 rounds of the draft). You can start the kicker and hope that one of the quarterbacks gets the starting job at some point.

That's quality advice but he's right that none of the QBs are going to be starting the season as starters. There are worse players than Lynch, Peterson, Johnson, and Ginn, but you shouldn't draft one of them solely because you need to start a rookie. Go for the kickers.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:04 pm

Atog wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:I disagree entirely. In my opinion, you have to go for a rookie quarterback.

That's quality advice but he's right that none of the QBs are going to be starting the season as starters. There are worse players than Lynch, Peterson, Johnson, and Ginn, but you shouldn't draft one of them solely because you need to start a rookie. Go for the kickers.

Good point; didn't Dallas draft a kicker? I know that Green Bay drafted one, but he'll have to compete with Raymer.

Too bad there are never rookie defenses. :-B
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:28 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
Atog wrote:

Good point; didn't Dallas draft a kicker? I know that Green Bay drafted one, but he'll have to compete with Raymer.

Too bad there are never rookie defenses. :-B

Yeah, they drafted Nick Folk, but no work on whether or not he will be the starting kicker when the season starts.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:04 am

Lynch is going to be the first rookie drafted, most likely. I would target Calvin Johnson were I you. He has a reasonable chance to earn you FF points this season while filling one of your 3 WR spots, since you have a nice group of RBs already.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:48 am

So...what you are saying is draft a QB that won't start until halfway through the season at the earliest? Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there.I'll take Marshawn Lynch and enjoy the fantasy production all year. Look at the QBs from last year. Leinart was really the only one to have significant playing time.
Fantasy Man 27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk