Falcons high on Jamaal Anderson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Falcons high on Jamaal Anderson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Falcons high on Jamaal Anderson

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:03 pm

So far they've been impressed with him. He's gonna work out with a private trainer from now until training camp starts. The only problem could be a contract holdout which woulld be a setback for him.

Falcons high on rookie Anderson's talent, attitude

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/25/07

Two months of offseason workouts are over, but for Falcons rookie defensive end Jamaal Anderson the real work begins now.

"He's got all the physical tools that you want," Falcons defensive line coach Kevin Wolthausen said. "We knew we were getting a guy with all the physical tools, but he has only played the position for three years, so there's a lot of things, as you look, that more experienced players can feel and see. Some things are still new to him, which is normal.

"From now through training camp will be huge for him."

Huge in more ways than just preparing to be thrust into a key role on a defense that will enter training camp July 26 full of uncertainty. Without practicing in pads, it's been hard to get a gauge on Anderson's ability to fill the position occupied for years by leader and tough guy Patrick Kerney, who left to Seattle via free agency. The defense has also been without tackle Rod Coleman (thigh surgery), linebacker Demorrio Williams (chest surgery) and tackle Grady Jackson (not practicing during a lawsuit against the team).

Within the next few weeks, Anderson, the eighth overall pick in this year's NFL draft out of Arkansas, should sign a contract that will make him one of the highestpaid players on the team — a salary that will generate high expectations and scrutiny.

Buffalo Bills safety Donte Whitner, last season's No. 8 pick, signed a five-year, $29 million contract with nearly $14 million guaranteed. Anderson figures to get paid more than that, but not quite as much as the six-year, $39 million ($19.5 guaranteed) that made Kerney too expensive for the Falcons.

Anderson said contract negotiations will fall in place in due time, so he's not worried about that aspect of his transition. That's because he's occupied with trying to learn his role on the field and with his teammates.

"I'm just another rookie out there," said the 6-foot-6, 277-pound Anderson. "I'm getting the same treatment as all of them, and that's expected. I'm just trying to earn a spot."

Anderson has been working behind veteran Chauncey Davis in offseason drills, but the Falcons didn't draft him that high to be a backup. To ensure he's ready, the coaching staff is working to get him comfortable with some of the technique and scheme fits he's not used to playing, especially against the run.

"Coming from Arkansas, I always played outside the tight end and I had space to run," Anderson said. "Now [in run schemes] it's more like your first two steps are head up on the tight end and my run fits are geared toward the [inside] gap not the [outside] gap."

Anderson is adapting, but without going against a tight end or a tackle in full-contact drills, measuring his growth is hard, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said. Determining his pass-rushing ability is much easier.

"In the passing game he does a nice job," Zimmer said. "He's got a good countermove and nice power off the edge. We just got to keep working with him on some of the run stuff. Typically, left ends don't have much pass rush. Jamaal does. If we can get the run part done, it will be very good for us."

With the interior of the defensive line unsettled Anderson's rapid development is crucial. Right end John Abraham is a pass-rushing demon, when healthy, and Anderson, who had 17.5 sacks and 32 tackles for losses in college, was drafted to complement him.

"We've still got to stop the run first because if you don't stop the run, you can't rush the passer because teams will just run it at you," Anderson said.

After two more weeks of offseason workouts at the team facility, Anderson plans to work out with a private trainer in Los Angeles until training camp begins. Whether his contract will be complete by then is always a question for high draft picks, but Anderson said he's aware of everything he needs to do once he's in camp.

"It's a challenge to come in and play with these big boys but we wouldn't have chose to play this game if it wasn't for that," Anderson said. "We know why they drafted us. It's our opportunity to take what they gave us."
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Falcons high on Jamaal Anderson

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:08 pm

another jamaal anderson on the falcons? oh no. now i'm going to be confused. :-S
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:56 pm

moonhead wrote:another jamaal anderson on the falcons? oh no. now i'm going to be confused. :-S

yeah, I was just thinking this. Wonder if this Jamaal anderson could have handled 410 carries in the regular season.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Hey moon, stop bumpin up old threads :-C :-t :-C
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Munboy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:42 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:Hey moon, stop bumpin up old threads :-C :-t :-C

:-? This thread was all of 5 minutes old when he posted in it... :-?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:47 pm

Well, if I spent a top 10 draft pick on someone, I would definitely avoid saying, "We're not high on this guy, and we think he's gonna bust." :-B
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:05 pm

This post makes no sense.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:30 pm

maybe he was making a joke about this being about the original jamaal anderson. and it was that old? only thing i can figure.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:43 pm

Munboy wrote:

:-? This thread was all of 5 minutes old when he posted in it... :-?

WOW, that's all I can say. :-b

but on another note, this isn't really news or anything because all teams say that they really like x rookie and they think they found a gem when they drafted/acquired them. Nobody wants to make themselves look dumb. :-b

Except Britney Spears........

She likes looking dumb I think. :-B
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 pm

moonhead wrote:

maybe he was making a joke about this being about the original jamaal anderson. and it was that old? only thing i can figure.

That's it I'm sure.

Freaking Jamal Anderson. Stud RB in 1998 - 2,000 yards and 16 TDs, and then he goes and does NOTHING the next two years (was 2000 the first year he got hurt? can't remember), then he rips up his ACL in 01 and I got shafted on a deal for him. I think I traded TD for him, if I'm not mistaken. That was when they had Chandler and I thought the Falcons were just going to light up the league. I was a smidge wrong on that one. :-°
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk