Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

No, I try but I sometimes follow a run
17%
Yes, always
10%
No, I don't follow runs nor do I follow a pattern every time
72%

Total votes : 29

Re: Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:51 pm

PapaPark wrote:
treat24 wrote:no way, every draft is so different, i like to try and start rb rb... but after that... we'll see...

I try to do RB, RB, WR, WR, and after that it is up in the air.

So if a good RB falls to you in the 3rd round would you not take them and grab a WR instead? Just curious....the reason I only plan on RB/RB to start is that after that there is a chance I could do multiple things with the rest of my draft picks....usually for me the first 4-5 rounds will be all RBs and WRs but sometimes the value is there to go elsewhere.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:03 pm

mattb47 wrote:So if a good RB falls to you in the 3rd round would you not take them and grab a WR instead? Just curious....the reason I only plan on RB/RB to start is that after that there is a chance I could do multiple things with the rest of my draft picks....usually for me the first 4-5 rounds will be all RBs and WRs but sometimes the value is there to go elsewhere.

Depends on who that running back is..

But more often than not - if you pick a running back up in the third after spending your first and second on RBs also then your WR core is going to suffer.

At least following the RB/RB and then WR/WR you are filling decent talent in both spots.

BUT - I have yet to master the draft so who am I.. =P
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:12 pm

PapaPark wrote:
mattb47 wrote:So if a good RB falls to you in the 3rd round would you not take them and grab a WR instead? Just curious....the reason I only plan on RB/RB to start is that after that there is a chance I could do multiple things with the rest of my draft picks....usually for me the first 4-5 rounds will be all RBs and WRs but sometimes the value is there to go elsewhere.

Depends on who that running back is..

But more often than not - if you pick a running back up in the third after spending your first and second on RBs also then your WR core is going to suffer.

At least following the RB/RB and then WR/WR you are filling decent talent in both spots.

BUT - I have yet to master the draft so who am I.. =P

Not necessarily....WRs are deeper than people think usually. I actually just went 4 RBs to start a draft in a dynasty league here on the cafe and still managed to get Darrell Jackson and Hines Ward as my WRs who while may not be the elite WRs, are still pretty darn good guys. You can get great WRs in the 4th round if you go 3 RBs to start a draft....I don't think I've ever had a problem with my WRs if I go 3 RBs to start off a draft.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:15 pm

a lot of my strategy depends on where i am picking in the draft. i usually start off with two rbs, but it can change depending on who is picking around me. and also who the best player, in my estimation, is still left on the board.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:19 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Not necessarily....WRs are deeper than people think usually. I actually just went 4 RBs to start a draft in a dynasty league here on the cafe and still managed to get Darrell Jackson and Hines Ward as my WRs who while may not be the elite WRs, are still pretty darn good guys. You can get great WRs in the 4th round if you go 3 RBs to start a draft....I don't think I've ever had a problem with my WRs if I go 3 RBs to start off a draft.

You won't get the same calibur WR is my point.

How many mock drafts have you done this year? WRs are thin this year.

Trust me - I'm like the Denver Broncos of real football in the fantasy world. I always have a good running game but my WRs lack because of it.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:34 pm

PapaPark wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

You won't get the same calibur WR is my point.

How many mock drafts have you done this year? WRs are thin this year.

Trust me - I'm like the Denver Broncos of real football in the fantasy world. I always have a good running game but my WRs lack because of it.

I would certainly disagree with the point hat WRs are thin this year. I ALWAYS go RB heavy and I have in drafts already this year and I'm doing just fine at WR for the most part. If you know how to pick the WRs....you don't have to worry about it so much and there are always WRs that come out of nowhere every year that you can pick up and plug in. There very few RBs that come out of nowhere like that and them not already being on someone's team.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:46 pm

Give me some great WR1's then that you think you could get in the 4th and 5th round.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:57 pm

PapaPark wrote:Give me some great WR1's then that you think you could get in the 4th and 5th round.

Who said they have to be great #1 WRs if you have much better RBs than the rest of your league? And even then you can get some pretty darn good WRs in the 4th rounds of most drafts. Look at the most recent published mock draft here on the cafe....guys like Boldin, Colston, Driver, and Evans all went in the 4th round. I've seen drafts where you can get a Housh or Walker in the 4th as well. Guys like Hines Ward will be there in the 5th most times. And those guys are pretty darn solid receivers to get after you've already solidified your backfield.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:13 pm

mattb47 wrote:
PapaPark wrote:Give me some great WR1's then that you think you could get in the 4th and 5th round.

Who said they have to be great #1 WRs if you have much better RBs than the rest of your league? And even then you can get some pretty darn good WRs in the 4th rounds of most drafts. Look at the most recent published mock draft here on the cafe....guys like Boldin, Colston, Driver, and Evans all went in the 4th round. I've seen drafts where you can get a Housh or Walker in the 4th as well. Guys like Hines Ward will be there in the 5th most times. And those guys are pretty darn solid receivers to get after you've already solidified your backfield.

Here is how one of my drafts went this year:

Addai
Henry
McGahee
Boldin
Cadillac
Evans
Edwards

I'm pretty happy...
Fantasy Man 27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:18 pm

If your first WR is Lee Evans and your second is Edwards then you are hurting.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk