Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

No, I try but I sometimes follow a run
17%
Yes, always
10%
No, I don't follow runs nor do I follow a pattern every time
72%

Total votes : 29

Re: Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Here is my most recent mock.

I picked up Lee Evans in the fourth but Andre Johnson in the 3rd (But I'm also finding that the middle of the draft is hard to pick from this year)

viewtopic.php?t=328624 (12 team format - 9th overall pick)

Rudi Johnson
Clinton Portis
Andre Johnson
Lee Evans
Chester Taylor
Chris Chambers
Matt Hasselbeck
Fred Taylor
Michael Vick
Eagles DST
L.J. Smith
Troy Williamson
Dallas DST
Josh Brown
David Martin
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:21 pm

PapaPark wrote:If your first WR is Lee Evans and your second is Edwards then you are hurting.

Look in between Caddy and McGahee.
Fantasy Man 27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:22 pm

Fantasy Man 27 wrote:
PapaPark wrote:If your first WR is Lee Evans and your second is Edwards then you are hurting.

Sorry FM I wasn't actually referring to your draft. I do feel you got very luck by picking up Boldin in the fourth. He's been going late 2nd and 3rd rounds for me.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:25 pm

That draft you just posted is a perfect example of why you CAN go RB/RB/RB/WR....you can get a comparable WR to someone like Andre Johnson in the 4th round after grabbing 3 RBs. In fact, some of the guys you might take after AJ I'd rather have over him this year. It is very possible (evidenced by me having done it in countless cafe leagues which are typically pretty heavy competition) to go 3 RBs and still have a pretty darn good looking WR corps.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:29 pm

I picked up Andre J in the third though not the fourth

I see what you're saying.. I just think you're getting WR2 and WR3s in the fourth and fifth round and I'd like to have a WR1 and WR2.

So many years I've had crap WRs trying to stack my team with RBs and I'm finding it's a balanace between the two.

Seinfeld is on.. I'll be back. :-)
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:32 pm

PapaPark wrote:I picked up Andre J in the third though not the fourth

I see what you're saying.. I just think you're getting WR2 and WR3s in the fourth and fifth round and I'd like to have a WR1 and WR2.

So many years I've had crap WRs trying to stack my team with RBs and I'm finding it's a balanace between the two.

Seinfeld is on.. I'll be back. :-)

Well, when you have 3 good RBs, even having a WR2 and WR3 instead of 1 and 2 works out well. But this year....unless you're in leagues that are just WR crazy, guys like Boldin have fallen to the 4th. Like I said, I wouldn't go into a draft thinking RB/RB/RB, but if the value is there at RB....you can still get out of there with very solid WRs.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:33 pm

PapaPark wrote:
Fantasy Man 27 wrote:

Sorry FM I wasn't actually referring to your draft. I do feel you got very luck by picking up Boldin in the fourth. He's been going late 2nd and 3rd rounds for me.

:*) I'm agreeing with Matt here. In your most recent mock, I see that you have Chester Taylor as your backup. I really don't want to rely on a RBBC as a bye week fill-in. I'd fill very comfortable with a WR combo of Evans, Edwards, and lets just say Vincent Jackson.

Also, you can always flip one of your RBs if you really need a top WR. I just feel that RBs should be a priority over WRs in a draft.
Fantasy Man 27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:53 pm

I never follow anyone, or anthing. I have my set strategy for the first 6 picks, but even that isn't set in stone. I really follow what the other teams are doing, and dictate my picks accordingly.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:05 pm

I never decide on a certain strategy before I go into a draft. It's good to do mock drafts and work out in your mind what you will do if certain likely scenarios take place, but you never want to get locked into something. All it takes is a couple of crazy picks and your strategy becomes inappropriate.

I did want to throw out a little tip for making draft-tracker sheets that will help you be more flexible in drafts (especially slow or live-in-person drafts that allow you a good amount of time between picks).

It seems like most FFers track their draft using a sheet that looks like this:

You just write down the players' names in the box that lines up with the team that picked him and the round he was taken in. This is fine, and is useful for evaluating trades early in the season because you can use the original draft position as a starting point for assigning values to the players you are thinking about getting and giving up.

I prefer to use a sheet like this to track my drafts:

This allows me to see very quickly in what positions the other guys in the league are strong or weak as the draft progresses. Using information like this, I can more accurately predict when a position run is going to occur, so I will know when I can wait on a player or when I need to move someone up my chart to make sure I get him.

I know this is old news to some of the vets around here, but if I can help just one person make a better pick in their draft, it was worth my time to post this... :,-(

:-D :-B
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:06 pm

I definitely get what ya'll are saying and somewhat agree but like I said.. I have yet to master the art of drafting
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk