Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

No, I try but I sometimes follow a run
17%
Yes, always
10%
No, I don't follow runs nor do I follow a pattern every time
72%

Total votes : 29

Re: Do you stick to a certain draft order no matter what?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:57 pm

NO WAY!

If you do, then you won't consistently draft good teams year in and year out. You HAVE to adapt.

In my second mock this offseason I went RB, WR, WR, RB, WR, RB, QB, QB, RB.

I didn't care for the way that team turned out. It was OK, but should have gone RB in the third at least if not the second.

In my first mock, I went RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, QB, RB, WR.

This looks a lot more traditional and the team is probably a bit more solid than the other team. Both teams have their merits and their cons, but the safer strategy (the RB, RB one) turned out the more solid and safer team.

In my latest (and best) mock, I went RB, WR, WR, RB, QB, RB, TE. But in doing so, I have TO, Marvin Harrison, Marc Bulger, and Steven Jackson. So its not about what position I wanted but more of the overall talent available.

Bottom line, don't worry about it until in the draft IMO. Look at who's there and then decide. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:48 am

mattb47 wrote:Nope....I never really have a set order before a draft. I usually intend on going RB/RB but beyond that I just evaluate who is there and draft accordingly.

This is exactly what I do but really my only plan is to take a RB in the 1st. After that I wing it. I think that having one set strategy going into a draft is insane. Every draft is different and you really have to be able to adapt to the draft as it's happening. Scoring system also comes into play. 6 points for passing TD's and I'll up the value of the QB's, 1PPR and I'll up the value of the WR's and great pass-catching RB's. I think you really hurt yourself if you come in with a set strategy and go with it no matter what happens. You might plan on going RB/WR but then 18 RB's come off the board in a row to start the draft, leaving only 1-2 good options for your #2 RB. If you go with a WR you'll end up screwed at RB. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:43 am

I think it's also important to note that the size of the league can dictate what order you take certain positions.

In a 12 teamer (no flex), I'm almost always going to go rb, rb, wr, wr

with a 10 teamer, I don't have an exact plan, but usually my first three picks will include 2 rb's and a wr (with the wr either being a 2nd or 3rd rounder). If there's a flex spot, my fourth pick will usually be another rb if there's anyone worth having.

For an 8 teamer - I think here, the "positional scarcity" of rb's isn't as important, and the elite players at each position become more powerful. I like to go RB, WR, RB, QB here.

I did two 14 teamers last year - and if you didn't take a rb in round 1, you were pretty much SOL. Drafting with 13 other owners is very intense.

So I have a plan, BUT, as others have said, the draft plays out differently every time -- you have to be flexible.
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Hippy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:07 pm

Gibbs_Wagon wrote:I think it's also important to note that the size of the league can dictate what order you take certain positions.

In a 12 teamer (no flex), I'm almost always going to go rb, rb, wr, wr

with a 10 teamer, I don't have an exact plan, but usually my first three picks will include 2 rb's and a wr (with the wr either being a 2nd or 3rd rounder). If there's a flex spot, my fourth pick will usually be another rb if there's anyone worth having.

For an 8 teamer - I think here, the "positional scarcity" of rb's isn't as important, and the elite players at each position become more powerful. I like to go RB, WR, RB, QB here.

I did two 14 teamers last year - and if you didn't take a rb in round 1, you were pretty much SOL. Drafting with 13 other owners is very intense.

ISo I have a plan, BUT, as others have said, the draft plays out differently every time -- you have to be flexible.

I think this point is key to the RB/RB debate, # of teams determines your strategy alot. In a 14 team league I just mocked I had the 5th pick overall. I had planned to go RB/RB . Got Addai # 5, but at my second pick the best RB left was Benson. Went with Holt instead. Still got Marshawn Lynch in Rnd 3 whereas right after Holt was a run on 7 top WR's in next 8 picks (plus Benson). I would have ended up with Chambers as my WR1 if I had kept to that RB/RB theory. In a 14 team league, getting 2 top flight RB's is hard unless your slotted in pick 10-14. After the top 14 or so RB's it's the top 10 WR next and Manning.
Hippy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:21 am

I go RB, RB then pick WRs. I like having good WRs and often find quality QBs in the middle of the draft. I usually mix it up after I draft the QB and go for back ups.
click here, WHIR

Thanks "sigmaker" for the awesome sig.
a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Jagsjag120 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:02 am

Im not even sure if RB,RB is the right way to go if you are drafting in the top 3 this year.In mocks, From the time the pick comes back to you in the 2nd round I find myself taking a very questionable back who I can possibly get later or get someone of equal/slightly less value in a later round, therefore i can assure myself of 2 stud WR's to go with my stud RB. Just my view.
Jagsjag120
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:00 pm

Jagsjag120 wrote:Im not even sure if RB,RB is the right way to go if you are drafting in the top 3 this year.In mocks, From the time the pick comes back to you in the 2nd round I find myself taking a very questionable back who I can possibly get later or get someone of equal/slightly less value in a later round, therefore i can assure myself of 2 stud WR's to go with my stud RB. Just my view.

I didn't mean if I went third. That's the way I usually go in drafts.
click here, WHIR

Thanks "sigmaker" for the awesome sig.
a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk