What size league do you prefer? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What size league do you prefer?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What size league do you prefer?

No votes
No votes
45%
37%
18%

Total votes : 51

Re: What size league do you prefer?

Postby Kilroy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:32 pm

I play in everything from an 8-Teamer to a 16-Teamer, but I prefer 12.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Timbathia » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:41 pm

12 requires much better drafting preparation and you can end up with really poor teams, whereas in 10 team leagues even the bad teams that screw up the draft still tend to be competitive enough.

Both are fun and it would take a lot on convincing for me to do anything lower or higher.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby RudyBlue » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 am

I do only 10 team leagues with the following roster:

2QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, W/R, W/T, K, D, 6-8 BENCH with QB TD's worth 6pts and 1 ppr.

Makes teams very, very competitive and drafting a very important part of winning it all. The guy who gets LT doesn't always have the best team if he doesn't go on to make wise choices in QB since he'll need 3 or isn't careful about bye weeks. A few of the leagues I've drafted in with this roster have been filled with idiots, but for the most part, people who join a league with this type of roster are pretty savvy and draft quite well. It's going to be a great year of ff for me.

Blue
RudyBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:54 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:I play in everything from an 8-Teamer to a 16-Teamer, but I prefer 12.

Same here ;-D

One of the main things to consider though, is not just the amount of teams but how active/competitive the owners are. I am in a lot of leagues but I try to make sure that I know the quality of the other owners and know that they will put in maximum effort throughout the season. No fun playing in a 12 team league that has 2-3 owners that don't change their line-ups
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby MeShawn » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:49 pm

I usually play 12-teamers, but I don't mind 14 either. The really nice aspect of a 14 team league is the scheduling: each team can play each other exactly once (13 week regular season, 3 week playoff).

I feel like the waiver wire in a ten teamer is too stacked. It's more fun to predict the sleeper before they bust out rather than pick him up after he's had two good weeks.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:51 pm

Up until this year, I wouldv'e chosen 10 teamers, but now I really enjoy the extra flare it takes to fill a roster , especially with depth in a 12 teamer. ;-D

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby benb18a » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:08 pm

It doesn't matter to me. I like playing in both, for reasons that have already been covered. It does take a little more skill to draft a good team in a 12 team league, IMO. I have seen some horrid teams in 12 team leagues, but in 10 teamers there normally isn't a putrid team that you know isn't going anywhere.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Timbathia » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:46 pm

RudyBlue wrote:I do only 10 team leagues with the following roster:

2QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, W/R, W/T, K, D, 6-8 BENCH with QB TD's worth 6pts and 1 ppr.

Makes teams very, very competitive and drafting a very important part of winning it all. The guy who gets LT doesn't always have the best team if he doesn't go on to make wise choices in QB since he'll need 3 or isn't careful about bye weeks. A few of the leagues I've drafted in with this roster have been filled with idiots, but for the most part, people who join a league with this type of roster are pretty savvy and draft quite well. It's going to be a great year of ff for me.

Blue

Each to their own I guess but you couldnt pay me to play in a two-QB league.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:46 pm

This is a question we get almost every season. 12 by far is the most competitive, fun, and fair sized league to use for all types of fantasy players IMO.

Ten players makes the free agent pool too large and can really help fantasy nuts who hound the wire, and 14 players is somewhat harder for beginners to compete in. If you're a seasoned fantasy pro and really know your football, 14 can be pretty good since sleepers can dictate the winner of the league which makes preparation and good drafting essential.

If you're just looking to have a fair and balanced league, 12 is the way to go. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:This is a question we get almost every season. 12 by far is the most competitive, fun, and fair sized league to use for all types of fantasy players IMO.

Ten players makes the free agent pool too large and can really help fantasy nuts who hound the wire, and 14 players is somewhat harder for beginners to compete in. If you're a seasoned fantasy pro and really know your football, 14 can be pretty good since sleepers can dictate the winner of the league which makes preparation and good drafting essential.

If you're just looking to have a fair and balanced league, 12 is the way to go. ;-D

Nice av MB. Finally get the girl did ya? :-b

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk