Brian Westbrook - Injury Prone?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brian Westbrook - Injury Prone??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brian Westbrook - Injury Prone??

Postby Stelly » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:16 am

I've seen this become a sub-topic in a couple threads, so I thought I'd open it up here.

Do you think Brian Westbrook is injury prone, or is is time missed overblown because the Eagles already had things locked up, and they gave him extra rest?

I'm in a position where I may have the option of drafting him, and am weighing my options (I have Gore as a keeper, and will like choose between S. Alexander, FWP, and Westy in a non-ppr).
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brian Westbrook - Injury Prone??

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:03 am

He has played in 40 out of 48 games over the last 3 years and started 38 of those 40. I not say that is considered injury prone
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby eagles21 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:09 am

He definitely is injury prone. He managed to stay relatively healthy last year, and only missed one game, but the two years before he missed a handful of games in both seasons. The way he runs, and since he is on the field almost every play, he will always be injury prone.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:20 am

He was injured all last year but played through it. That said, I think he would have played through his 2005 injuries if they were in contention. I think it's pretty likely he'll get hurt again, but it's also very likely he'll play through it. And even if he gets 12-15 touches, he's still a solid start.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:32 am

2 of the games in 2004 he did not play in at the end of the year because they were resting guys. He also missed a game at the end of 2005 just because they held him out because they were done. So he's really only missed 5 games due to injury in the last 3 years. Does he get hurt? Yes, but they aren't debilitating injuries like everyone makes them out to be. He misses a game here or there. I'd take that.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Probably, but not in the sense that some other guys are. Tough question, as he always seems to be on the injury report. I wonder how much of it is Reid keeping him out of practice etc. as well. In my opinion, while it stinks to have him miss games, when he does play, he gives you a great chance to win, and I'll worry about the playoffs when I get there. Of course, I wouldn't ever want to take him over Tomlinson, SA, Johnson, Steven Jackson and a couple of others (maybe). But I'd rather have him risk and all over some solid, but more limited guys in terms of upside.

And yes, of the games he has missed, I feel there are mitigating circumstances. He missed playoff games in 2003, missed the Steelers game (would have played if it were against an NFC team--Eagles were 8-0 at that point, the risk/reward ratio wasn't there) and two games (resting starters) in 2004. 2005 was hurt, but it was totally pointless to play him too--so the jury is out.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chidoy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:14 pm

dream_017 wrote:He has played in 40 out of 48 games over the last 3 years and started 38 of those 40. I not say that is considered injury prone

Great post. I had westy the past 2 years and never hesitated to put him in. Yes, he'll be listed as questionable a lot but he'll play. And when he does, he's a beast in ppr. Good luck!
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:25 pm

There's always got to be concerns about a guy who is seemingly injured so often. There's not a huge jump between just being on the injury report every week and getting hurt just a little worse and being done for a season or at least a few games. I think he certainly is a sizable injury risk given how often he struggles with injuries regardless of whether he's played through them or not in the past and for that reason alone, I have him behind some other players on the same tier just because they don't carry that risk of injury quite as much. Just more of a personal preference than anything....just would rather not deal with all that on my team if I can help it.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:59 pm

I guess it depends on your definition of "injury prone". His problem, which finally went away last half of last year, is this chronic knee condition. He was listed on the injury report 13 out of 16 weeks last year. And while he played in most, there was ONE game where he was pulled right before game time.

So, is he injury prone in the manner that he will miss a lot of time? No. But almost every year he will cost you a game because he's pulled at the last minute or early in the game. Especially with all the primetime games the Eagles usually have, you almost never know the story on him when rosters are due in.

As I said, though, they seemed to get a handle on that knee condition last year. So this is probably the year you can feel comfortable taking him in the first round of ANY league. Not just PPR.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mrblitz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:50 pm

I certainly don't thin he's ,injury prone. He is probably just as seceptable to injuries as most other rbs. I would take him in a heartbeat.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk