Weird League Idea - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Weird League Idea

Moderator: Football Moderators

Weird League Idea

Postby thatonepoorkid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:38 pm

So i joined a keeper league (2 keepers) in place of an exiting manager today. The league is run like this. Every year your team gets 2 keepers. So you select the keepers to the best of your ablility, and they are put on the board.

After that each team is given a card out of a deck. (i.g. there are 12 teams so, team 1 got A, Team 2 got 2, Team 3 got 3, and so on up to Team 12 got Queen.) So every card was put into a hat and every manger got 1 card at random from the hat.

Whatever card you drew was your team that year. so for example. I had team 2 with Edge, and S jax as keepers, but i drew the 4. So i now have team 4's keepers which are, Manning, and Maroney.

Ever teams keepers are looked at and voted on the league before the draft to make sure they are acceptable. So a team that had 3 Studs couldent keep 2 guys like, R. Grossman, and C. Cooley. In hopes of giving another manager a rough start and/ or with the hope of snagging there stud in the first round. If a manager's keeper are voted down he was given 2 minutes to share why he felt it was an acceptable keeper. So today a guy tried to keep J. Jones and LT over, LT and Shuan Alexander. Needless to say even after his plea it was still shot down. (Team 6 is SOLID lol)

I thinks its kinnda a cool idea. Weird, but not a bad idea.

Gimme some thoughts.
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Weird League Idea

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 pm

I like it, its different and sounds like fun. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby spodog » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:53 pm

I don't like it.

Whats the point?

If you really want total parity at the start of each year, do a re-draft league.

If you want to manage over the course of multiple years, do a keeper.

This method seems to be random. Whats the point?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:02 am

spodog wrote:I don't like it.

Whats the point?

If you really want total parity at the start of each year, do a re-draft league.

Thats what makes it different, that its random. You get two quality players at the start of every season to build around, its just something different to do. I think it sounds like fun. I wouldn't want it to be a money league but meh I'd try it out. :-?
Metroid

Postby dgan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:30 am

Metroid wrote:

Whats the point?

Thats what makes it different, that its random. You get two quality players at the start of every season to build around, its just something different to do. I think it sounds like fun. I wouldn't want it to be a money league but meh I'd try it out. :-?

Exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes trying something fun like this is ok, but I wouldn't throw money at it.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:36 am

dgan wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Whats the point?

Exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes trying something fun like this is ok, but I wouldn't throw money at it.

yeah once you've been in a buttload of leagues sometimes the same ol same ol gets kinda boring, just seems like a fun way to make a "fun" league funner. :-B
Metroid

Postby spodog » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:49 am

OK, maybe as a freebie, but I definitely would move on if it were a $ league.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:53 am

It's an interesting idea but it should NOT be done in the interest of parity. In my opinion parity has NO PLACE in fantasy football. My goal is to build a team to demolish my opponents, not to stay competitive with them.

If you want parity you're not playing the game as it's meant to be played. And if you're one of those owners who is crying out for parity then you're obviously in need of an influx of knowledge and talent.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:44 am

knapplc wrote:It's an interesting idea but it should NOT be done in the interest of parity. In my opinion parity has NO PLACE in fantasy football. My goal is to build a team to demolish my opponents, not to stay competitive with them.

If you want parity you're not playing the game as it's meant to be played. And if you're one of those owners who is crying out for parity then you're obviously in need of an influx of knowledge and talent.

That's why knapp joins yahoo public leagues. ;-7

Seriously, knapp is right. Why would I want someones else's keepers? Let me build/draft my own team. If my team kicks everyone's butt, I can only pat myself on the back. With this league you will be thinking, glad I team six.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby molideha » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:06 am

Metroid wrote:
dgan wrote:

yeah once you've been in a buttload of leagues sometimes the same ol same ol gets kinda boring, just seems like a fun way to make a "fun" league funner. :-B

for something totally different thats free, take a look at rogueffl.com...its a nice change of pace...removing the starting lineup restrictions.
cheers,
M

no fees, cash prizes, 1 lineup, 3 ways to win at http://www.RogueFFL.com
molideha
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk