SI.com Fantasy Football Player Rankings for 2007 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

SI.com Fantasy Football Player Rankings for 2007

Moderator: Football Moderators

SI.com Fantasy Football Player Rankings for 2007

Postby wrpd136 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html

LJ 2nd over SJax??????????? Not for me

Obviously the author plays only yahoo public leagues (and loses)
Last edited by wrpd136 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrpd136
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: SI.com Fantasy Football Player Rankings for 2007

Postby eagles21 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:40 pm

These are pretty bad. I just stopped after seeing Moroney ranked 24th and Randy Moss 26th.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Lol at Brees ranked higher than Palmer.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Last year I used these rankings for an entire draft. Guess what? I won my league. I'm not using them again because I think the Cafe is a better place for rankings, but I still have a place in my heart for them :-B

Although I did take Warner in the third round...
Fantasy Man 27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:11 pm

I'm not so sure what's so funny about Brees over Palmer to be honest. I might be tempted to go that route too. They are probably comprable, but Brees has put up monster seasons for two seperate teams already--so he knows the position. And he has tools galore in New Orleans, and a nice offensive gameplan to keep the pressure off. His running game is awesome, and you can't account for both Deuce and Bush easily. Then he has a nice mix of targets to catch the ball. I think its legit enough, especially considering the caliber of opponents each will face.

If it were me, I'd probabyl have it something like:

manning
brees
palmer
brady
mcnabb

The reality is that manning is mr. consistency, but I think any of those could end up as fantasy number one. Manning is a statistical god, brees put in a monster season, palmer is on the upswing, brady has way more weapons than in the past, and McNabb was the number one before going down. Granted, he might not make it all the way through, but he has been putting up monster stats the past three years (two of which ended in unrelated injuries). Bulger merits mention in here, but I think if health isn't a consideration, he, romo and rivers flesh out the next three.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:02 am

benb18a wrote:Lol at Brees ranked higher than Palmer.

I currently have Brees ahead of Palmer :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:27 am

dream_017 wrote:
benb18a wrote:Lol at Brees ranked higher than Palmer.

I currently have Brees ahead of Palmer :-?

To be honest, and not to beat a dead horse, I don't get the groundswell of hype for Palmer. That's not to denigrate Palmer, he is obviously elite and up-and-coming. But it's not like his body of work is above reproach, and I really don't get how is summarily number three all of a sudden. (This is just how it seems to me). I've seen people real and fantasy put him above McNabb (injuries not withstanding). I just don't see it, the body of work isn't there relative to some other people. Playoffs and such aren't relevant in this forum, but McNabb's best season is better than Palmer's best, same with Brees. And both have been doing it longer, so I'm more inclined to trust them. Of course, since Donovan gets hurt every year anymore I'd take Palmer above him, but seriously, its alsonot a stretch for someone to bet this is the year donovan stays healthy and keeps it going (this has been three seasons in a row now where he has been putting up monster stats for the first half, 2004 of course the whole year), and with another year in the system, Brees could maybe do 85 percent or more of what he did last year.

I don't find it laughable in the least, although I disagree with SI's rankings. They have the worst fantasy rankings (football and baseball) of any major outlet in my opinion.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikus » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:17 am

I think the reason several fantasy owners/experts rank Carson Palmer so high is because they are trying to catch "that" season. He has become an upper-echelon quarterback, but most of us still think there is more to come from him (maybe rival Peyton Manning at some point?). So I think people will keep him above the proven performers of Brees, McNabb and maybe even Brady b/c they know Palmer is close to over-taking those guys permanently and they are trying to own him when he does.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:42 am

I guess my point is how do they know? He had one superb season in his career. I know you can't draft for the past per se, but then again he has never had a season that exceeded McNabb, Peyton, Brees, and he hasn't had the uber consistent body of work that Brady has had. Granted, I think Caron's upside is more than Brady's,a nd with Brady you are paying for "not crapping the bed" so to speak. I just don't see how Carson's upside can be SO much higher to ignore the track records. It's a judgment call to be sure though.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk