I can't seem to let go of The Edge - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I can't seem to let go of The Edge

Moderator: Football Moderators

I can't seem to let go of The Edge

Postby PapaPark » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:20 am

While I'm on my quest for my second round running back I keep seeing the touchdown mirage that was once Edgerrin James.

Recent news from the Arizona camp is that they want to get James at least 325 carries. By doing so they feel they will be successful.

Umm... last year he had 337 carries and they weren't so successful.

What gives?

I'd like a little more than 6 touchdowns from my RB2 this year since this positions seems to be pretty deep.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I can't seem to let go of The Edge

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:54 am

The Cardinals' offense was vanilla on top of the offensive line being bad and Matt Leinart getting his feet wet. THat's what hurt Edge. The line isn't much different than last year, but the other things have hopefully been corrected. Unfortunately Edge is getting close to 30, so I wouldn't expect him to return to his numbers from Indy, but 10 TD's isn't out of the question either.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chidoy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:35 am

I'd agree with bagobonez, Edge was "Edge" in Indy but in Zona, he's behind a crappy O-line. With him being 30 and still behind a crappy O-line, I see his better days are behind him. However, with Leinart getting more comfy and a year under his belt, along with Fitzy and Boldin, there's good reason to speculate that they could pull out some fairly good numbers this year. IMHO, double digit TD's are very feasible.
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:44 am

I'm drinking the Edge Kool-aid this year. He will be 29 when the season starts so he is nearing the big 30 which scares some. But not I. Arizona is eerily similar to what he had in Indy. Weak defense, Great Receivers, Pro-typical QB, Him being a good pass catching RB, with a mediocre back-up. I like the new coaching staff a lot, especially the addition of Russ Grim. Look at what he's done in his career as a player and a coach, he knows offensive lines. I think he is a god send to Arizona Offense, and it should be noticed this year. And Whisenhunt is nice as well
Azcardinals.com wrote:In his first year as coordinator, the Steelers rushing attack improved from 31st to 2nd and the overall offense ranked 16th behind rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger. His second year ended with an NFL title after the Steelers offense averaged 26.8 points per game in the playoffs. This past season, Pittsburgh’s offense ranked 7th overall (9th passing and 10th rushing).
and he is emphasizing a run first offense.

Also this year he will have a fullback in front of him, this should help him out a lot too, as he has never had one in front of him since he left college. Not to mention he was the 20th ranked RB last year, and had a down year, everything this year is better than it was last year (besides milage on his legs) and improving from the 20th RB should be no big feat. Also, gotta love the addition of Levi Brown.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:52 am

I'm targeting Edge in the 2nd round in most of my drafts. He is being severely undervalued at the moment. Russ Grimm and Whisenhunt will make that offensive line so much better it isn't even funny. Edge did not suddenly start sucking...his offensive line held him back BIG time last year. I'd look for Edge to get around 1400 yards and 8-12 TDs this year...yes, I am drinking the Edge Koolaid as well.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:18 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:I'm targeting Edge in the 2nd round in most of my drafts. He is being severely undervalued at the moment. Russ Grimm and Whisenhunt will make that offensive line so much better it isn't even funny. Edge did not suddenly start sucking...his offensive line held him back BIG time last year. I'd look for Edge to get around 1400 yards and 8-12 TDs this year...yes, I am drinking the Edge Koolaid as well.

Common misconception. Good coaches cannot make bad players good. Remember when Kansas City was going to fix their defense by just bringing aboard a good defensive coordinator a few years ago. That didn't work.

Houston went from 15th to 21st last year (because their line sucks) in rushing despite being under the tutelage of Gary Kubiak who was the former OC at Denver (they had a good offensive line).

Weren't the Vikings the No. 1 rushing team in the league several years that Dennis Green coached them (because they had a good offensive line). Yet he couldn't get AZ a ground game (because their line sucks).
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:54 pm

I think Edge's numbers will be like this, 1078 yards, 8total tds.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Daddymike59 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:00 pm

Azrael wrote:
TheDiplomats wrote:I'm targeting Edge in the 2nd round in most of my drafts. He is being severely undervalued at the moment. Russ Grimm and Whisenhunt will make that offensive line so much better it isn't even funny. Edge did not suddenly start sucking...his offensive line held him back BIG time last year. I'd look for Edge to get around 1400 yards and 8-12 TDs this year...yes, I am drinking the Edge Koolaid as well.

Common misconception. Good coaches cannot make bad players good. Remember when Kansas City was going to fix their defense by just bringing aboard a good defensive coordinator a few years ago. That didn't work.

Houston went from 15th to 21st last year (because their line sucks) in rushing despite being under the tutelage of Gary Kubiak who was the former OC at Denver (they had a good offensive line).

Weren't the Vikings the No. 1 rushing team in the league several years that Dennis Green coached them (because they had a good offensive line). Yet he couldn't get AZ a ground game (because their line sucks).

I wouldn't exactly call James a "bad player", Az. However the philosophy of your statement is true enough.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Daddymike59 wrote:
Azrael wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call James a "bad player", Az. However the philosophy of your statement is true enough.

He was referring to AZ's O-line (as he bolded). But they cannot make them good, but they can help them develop and give them tools to make them better, as well as see true talent and use it accordingly (or at least good coaches can).
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Daddymike59 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:36 pm

He was referring to AZ's O-line (as he bolded).

True , my bad

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk