Return to Football Talk

Tank Johnson, not drunk..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tank Johnson, not drunk..

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Test results: Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072
ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 2, 2007, 6:52 PM ET

GILBERT, Ariz. -- Blood tests show former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson's blood alcohol level was below the legal limit when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving June 22, police said Monday.

Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072, under the presumptive limit in Arizona of .08 percent, Gilbert police Sgt. Andrew Duncan said. No charges have been filed pending results of a completed investigation, and Duncan declined further comment.

Under Arizona law, Johnson could still face a charge for "impairment to the slightest degree." The state has separate charges for blood alcohol levels of .08 or higher and .15 or higher. The "slightest degree" charge usually accompanies the other charges, but the state does not have to show any blood alcohol level to bring the minimum charge.

Johnson, whose legal name is Terry Darnell Johnson, was arrested when officers pulled him over at 3:30 a.m. for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. Duncan said an officer placed him under arrest because he believed Johnson was under the influence of alcohol. He was released without being booked or charged after providing a blood sample, and police said he was very cooperative.

A message left with Johnson's agent, Bill Heck, was not immediately returned.

Johnson, 25, was released by the Chicago Bears three days after his arrest. The team said it was "upset and embarrassed" by the defensive tackle's legal troubles.

The Bears declined comment Monday.

Johnson had already had been suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFL season for violating probation on a gun charge. He spent two months in jail and was released in May.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound Johnson's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

Two days after the December raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. In May, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail.

Johnson was chosen by the Bears in the second round of the 2004 draft out of Washington. He played in 46 games, starting 15.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tank Johnson, not drunk..

Postby Tsizzle » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:15 pm

hmmmmmm
[img]RIPsean[/img]
Tsizzle
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:18 pm

well he still was drinking and driving...
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:46 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:well he still was drinking and driving...

That's not quite true - he was driving AFTER drinking... ;-7
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:03 pm

I wonder if this means he still has a chance to reduce his suspension to 6 games. :-?

If he can, then his chances of signing with a team just went up.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 am

beanoX3 wrote:I wonder if this means he still has a chance to reduce his suspension to 6 games. :-?

I guess it depends on the conditions that were set for the suspension to be reduced, If alcohol was a no-no period then he'd still be screwed, but as it stands right now he didn't break any laws, so....

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby AssaultandPeppers » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:32 am

Why does someone that freak'n big need to carry guns and have a body guard?
AssaultandPeppers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TripleLatte » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:40 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:I wonder if this means he still has a chance to reduce his suspension to 6 games. :-?

I guess it depends on the conditions that were set for the suspension to be reduced, If alcohol was a no-no period then he'd still be screwed, but as it stands right now he didn't break any laws, so....

From bears.com

The conditions that Johnson must meet to reduce the suspension to six games include:
-- No further adverse involvement with law enforcement and full compliance with any requirements imposed by a court.
-- Compliance with all league requirements, including counseling.
-- No participation in any practices or other organized team activities during the period of the suspension. He may, however, be present at the Bears' facility during the suspension for counseling sessions and other approved activities such as physical treatment or individual workout sessions.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsSt ... ry_id=3492

Not sure how speeding equates to point one ("No further adverse involvement with law enforcement").

Fact is, if the the guy was drinking and driving (yes, legally) at 3:30AM after being suspended he still doesn't get it. The commish has set up the player conduct policy to have very loose interpretations IMO and doubt he will cut him slack.
TripleLatte
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:31 pm

A few things to note from a professional when it comes to drinking and driving charges:

(1) Being over the limit has nothing to do with whether or not you are charged with drinking and driving... Being over the legal limit is prima facia evidence of the fact that you were impaired, but is not required to charge you with being impaired... Any amount of alcohol in your system can be considered impairment, and you can be charged with drunk driving even if you are under the legal limit... It's just that the State is not required to present evidence regarding your actual driving if you are over the limit... Put another way, you could be driving 100% perfectly at .085 and be charged with drunk driving... If you're driving at .075 the State has to present evidence that you were driving poorly (such as speeding, for example) to charge you with impairment...

(2) It takes your body approximately (2) hours to process .03 % alcohol in your bloodstream... Which means, if your blood alcohol level is .09, it takes you roughly 6 hours before you will not register any alcohol in your blood stream... A guy as big as Tank Johnson very well could handle a B.A.C. of .24%... He might not even feel substantially buzzed at .12%... At .24%, it would take his body somewhere in the neighborhood of (12) hours to process the alcohol in his system before he got back down below the legal limit... So, he could have been at a BBQ at 3:00 that afternoon when he had his last drink... Ate some dinner... Went to sleep... Got up in the middle of the night with a hanker'n for a Klondike Bar, and feeling 100% sober, gone to the store... He gets pulled over for doing 40 in a 25, which is EXTREMELY easy to do, and he gets nailed for DUI... It's really easy to do... So the concept that he was pounding beers while driving down the road, or shortly before is quite possibly totally inaccurate... I know several people who have gotten DUI's driving to work the next morning following a night out on the town...

Just my thoughts...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:44 pm

That's what I was thinking.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk