Can a Girl Get Some Help? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Can a Girl Get Some Help?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Can a Girl Get Some Help?

Postby confused_jake » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:56 am

Ah! Another woman is breaking up our He-man woman haters club! :-) Just kidding, and Plindsey basically said everything you need to know, so i'll just say welcome to the board! Being here alone gives you an advantage over the guys in your league(unless they also read/post on the boards).
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hosijoe » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:28 am

I would also be aware of your BYE weeks :-)
hosijoe
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby treat24 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:21 pm

I agree, Plinds really hit it up well... and trust me, hang with good fantasy players and that championship will come soon. I have a 15 year keeper and a girl (in her 3rd year in the league) won our championship last year and is one of the best teams going into this year...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:20 am

Rankings: An important thing to keep in mind about rankings is that right now they are very preliminary as training camp has not even started yet for NFL teams. They have concluded their mini-camps, but drills conducted withouts pads don't reveal a lot. Rankings will change as some players move up or down depending on what happens during training camp. Sites like the Cafe are invaluable because the rankings are revised periodically - that's something magazines can't offer as they generally come out before training camps begin (and definitely before they end) - although some magazines do have on-line sites with updates. It doesn't hurt to use several sources and come up with your own rankings.

On some teams, it's already well established who the starters are at the key positions, but on other teams that remains to be sorted out at training camp - and in some cases, even training camp doesn't provide the answers and we have to wait until sometime during the season to see who the top RB or WR may be on a team. Also, players can get injured during training camp which can cause them to miss part of the season (or set them back in competing for a position) - something you need to keep an eye on.

Drafting now, this early in the season, is real crapshoot, and not a good idea for beginners - wait until just before the season starts so you have a chance to see how training camp plays out - that way you'll know who most of the star players will be, and the rankings available will be a lot more accurate and up to date. The Cafe can be an extremely valuable resource - come here daily during training camp and check out all the posts in Leftovers and Injuries and Player Updates to get all the latest news (doesn't hurt to take notes as there will be so many tips it will be hard to remember them all - this will affect rankings).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:34 am

Trades: Be careful when making trades that you are getting fair value. Plindsey already mentioned the "Draft, Trade & Keeper Forum" here - always a good idea to post any trade offers there to get some opinons on whether you should pull the trigger on any trades - better to be safe than sorry!

Roster: Once you have drafted, it's a good idea to post your roster in the Cafe's "Roster Rating's" forum - that way you can get feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of your team so you can address any problems. Just make sure you describe what type of league it is - eg: std Yahoo roster and scoring,10 team, I had 3rd pick
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby m16a » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:44 am

As someone said, be aware of the bye weeks, because if you have to many players on a bye, you can be a dead woman on that week. Also, a site that is decent for stuff such as the depth chart and schedules of teams as well as their fantasy scoring per week and such is http://www.cbssportsline.com/nfl. This site is more an info site on stats and depth charts and such technical stuff, but it is still a valuable tool. Also, hang around the cafe a lot and you will learn. good luck,
m16a
Last edited by m16a on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:28 pm

most of the guys have covered just about everything, wow plinds that's crazy long, so just stick around the cafe and you're bound to pick up some experience very quick. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby patrickbateman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 pm

(^)

I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
patrickbateman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Chibears » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:30 pm

I agree with most of replies to this post with one exception. Year in and year out I hear that one needs to pick up the backup RB to your starting stud RB. I respectfully disagree with this. I would much rather pick a sleeper RB or the "second" back in a RBBC over a middlin' backup RB.....with the exception being Michael Turner of the Chargers. If Brian Westbrook was my stud RB and got hurt, I'd rather be sitting with a Chris Henry, Marion Barber, Reuben Drougns or Jerrious Norwood than Corell Buckhalter. The key to this though is that you have a solid RB GROUP. RBBC's are changing the horizon for FF.....plenty of "reserve" RB's to choose from that can serve as replacements for studs that go down. Who really thinks that a Jerome Harrison is gonna tear it up if Jamal Lewis goes down? Sorry, but I do not feel that a Kevin Faulk is gonna run roughshod over the NFL if Maroney goes down. 1st and foremost though, welcome to Fantasy Football Caligirl! This sight is hands down the best sight to go for info as it encompasses many different opinions that you can listen to or ignore......read a magazine and it gives one writers perspective. Best of luck to you this year and many to come.....
QB - Mathew Stafford
RB - Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, Steven Jackson, Chris Ivory, Reggie Bush, Lamar Miller
WR - Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Randall Cobb, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery
TE - Jimmy Graham
K - Phil Dawson
D/ST - Seahawks
Chibears
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:29 pm

Well the major thing that you have to remember, that always killed me my first couple years of playing fantasy football is that you must stick to your rankings. Rank players before the draft, and don't be swayed like that. For example, if yahoo (or whatever site you're playing on for that matter) has one player ranked higher than the other, don't pay much attention to that, stick with what you think. Go with your instincts, they are usually right. Another example is if you have a RB that is the highest on your rankings out of the players left (assuming you haven't already filled your running back positions) don't venture out and take like a WR or QB you don't like just because a few people have jumped the gun and drafted Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer in the first round.

Finally, I know this may sound biased, but stick around the cafe. If you're really having trouble figuring out who to start, there is a great forum here where people are glad to help. It really is a great place for advice for players of any level.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense or if you want follow up, and I'll try to clarify whatever it is you don't understand

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's Forum