Can a Girl Get Some Help? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Can a Girl Get Some Help?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can a Girl Get Some Help?

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:12 am

Welcome to the Cafe. Plindsey covered most of what you need to know, so I won't say much. Like stomperrob said about trades, make sure you are getting good value. Some owners will try to pick on new owners early on assuming they dont' know anything. Post your question in the forum that stomper mentioned and you should be okay. And I'm sure that most people here would be willing to help you out if you sent them a private message, so don't hesitate to do that. ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Can a Girl Get Some Help?

Postby caligal » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:20 am

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all of the helpful tips. I feel ready to jump in headfirst! I appreciate you all responding so quickly and with such poignant advice. I am sure you'll be hearing more from me in the near future. I only have about 4 weeks to get myself into shape before draft time. O:-)

Wow...I can't believe I even started a new forum.
caligal
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby hacksaw » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:44 am

MOD EDIT: Nothing but a spammer here folks.
hacksaw
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Champlain » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Three articles might help you out. Mainly about drafting and when to take each position and how to get the next great WR.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... ctory.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... ntasy.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _your.html

Good luck this year!
Champlain
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:40 pm

*bump*

This thread has some excellent advice for beginers! ;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby kong_jr. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:07 pm

I didn't notice if this was mentioned or not, but draft position also matters. Usually there are "tiers" of players. If you're drafting 1st-4/5th you're probably taking a super stud RB over anything, in the next few picks, one of the big 3 QB's is probably going to be gone and possibly Randy Moss or TO.

So say the top 8 picks are 1-5 (Stud RBs), 6 Brady, 7 Moss, 8 best RB available ...

After that the next 5 or 6 RB's are probably fairly close in value and if you're drafting, say 9th in a 12 team league (standard scoring) ... you might want to pick the Stud WR that hasn't been drafted yet, knowing that on your next pick your starting RB won't be that much worse.

In addition, since most scoring has Receiving and Rushing TD's marked the same, you'll probably get as many or more TD's out of your stud WR than your middle 2nd tier RB. Yardages are only a point or 2 here and there, so if the RB rushes for 1200 yards and receives for 200 and your WR receives for 1200 yards, it's pretty much the same since most leagues only give bonus for long rushes/receptions and how many 20+ yard receptions will an RB get ... so the bonus at this point doesn't make much difference.

That said ... standard draft format of RB-RB first isn't a terrible way to start ... but if you think you can get approximately the same value with the next round by waiting 5 picks, then you might consider drafting a top tier guy in the other major position.
kong_jr.
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:45 pm

funny how quick we are to help a woman. I posted in this thread almost a month ago and it's still at the top of the page. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:59 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:funny how quick we are to help a woman. I posted in this thread almost a month ago and it's still at the top of the page. :-b

Actually if ya check the dates, prior to yesterday there haven' been any posts here for over a year! I just bumped it 'cause there's lots of good stuff for beginners to read!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby spodog » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:51 pm

I wonder what ever happened to Caligirl . . . ? 8-o

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kong_jr. » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:03 am

She used you all for your advice and then threw you out like yesterdays newspaper?
kong_jr.
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's Forum