When to draft positions? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

When to draft positions?

Moderator: Football Moderators

When to draft positions?

Postby a_cuevas91 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:55 am

In a 10 man league with 15 person roster, when should i draft a RB, QB, WR, TE, K, and DEF? I like getting a RB in the first round, regardless if Manning is available. I also draft some positions at different times depending on how other people draft. Thanks
click here, WHIR

Thanks "sigmaker" for the awesome sig.
a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: When to draft positions?

Postby Pats4four » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:06 am

Drafting a RB in the first is a must as you said and Manning shouldn't be taken in the first. However, it then gets interesting as sometimes I go RB/RB or RB/WR depending on my position. If you're drafting in the top 3 then by the second round most of the top 15 RBs will be taken so I usually take an elite WR or maybe even 2 WR. However, it is then imperative that you take RBs in the next 2 rounds. If you're drafting in the 7-10 spots then you could take 2 RBs in the 8-12 range. This will include Maroney, Henry, McGahee etc. I would probably take two RBs and then target the WR spots in the following rounds.

As for QBs, I usually wait until rounds 6-7 for my QB and this year you'll be looking at guys like VY, Romo, Leinart, Kitna etc. Some take elite QBs in the 3rd to 5th rounds like Brees, palmer, Bulger, Brady, McNabb. I personally don't like doing this as this will compromise the depth at WR and RB.

The top TE is Gates and he's taken around the 3rd/4th. Once again, I wait till the middle rounds to take a TE like Davis, Witten, Cooley as these guys are all startable and reaching for Gates, Gonzo, Heap will damage your depth at RB and WR. The reason I stress depth at RB and WR is because leagues will require you to start the greatest number of players at these positions so it is very important that you have good depth at these positions incase someone is injured or to use as trade bait.

During the later rounds I like to pick up key backups like Michael Turner, Maurice Morris, AP (Chicago) as these guys either back up guys with good O-lines so should the starter be injured these RBs will produce. Some back up RBs have injury prone starters so there is a good chance the back up will see some action like Betts last year.

Finally, I draft a DEF and kicker in the last 2 rounds. There will always be someone who picks a DEF like CHI way too early and whilst CHI may score a lot of points, it's very difficult to predict how good a DEF will be. THis is the same for kickers.

I hope this helps and good luck this season!
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:00 am

a_cuevas91 wrote:In a 10 man league with 15 person roster, when should i draft a RB, QB, WR, TE, K, and DEF? I like getting a RB in the first round, regardless if Manning is available. I also draft some positions at different times depending on how other people draft. Thanks

Welcome to the cafe! What are your starting requirements & scoring system? There are many different starting requirements & scoring systems. They can definitely affect the way you draft.

But regardless of the starting requirements & scoring system, it's VERY important (like you mentioned) to get a RB in the 1st round. There just aren't that many RB's that get all (or most) of the carries for their teams. A lot of teams used the dreaded "running back by committe" (RBBC) where 2 RB's get a lot of carries. RBBC might work great for real football but it's not good for fantasy football. Most leagues that are filled with FF veterans will have all RB's drafted in the 1st round. I'm currently involved in a 16 team league here on the cafe (Cafe League Of Champions). 19 straight RB's were drafted. Then it gets to the point where the WR's just have more value than the RB's left, so the top WR's start getting drafted.

Taking Peyton Manning in the 1st is suicide because for the rest of the draft you're trying to get your #1 RB when everyone else is trying to get their #2 RB, and so on. You get the top QB but the rest of your team usually suffers. I drafted Peyton in the 2nd round of a draft last year and I still felt like I was playing catch up for the rest of the draft. You can almost always get a very good QB in rounds 6-8, but you usually can't get a very good RB or WR in those rounds. Let someone else take a QB early while you stock up on RB's & WR's in the 1st 5-6 rounds.

Like Pats said, Gates will usually go in the 3rd or 4th round. He's usually the only TE that will go this early. You can almost always wait until rounds 6-8 to get a very good TE.

Every draft is different and the starting requirements & scoring system could change things. But as a general rule, you should stock up on RB's & WR's in the 1st 5-6 rounds. Then grab your starting QB & TE. Then draft backups so you have depth at every position. Like Pats said, I always grab a D in the 2nd to last round & a K in the last round. D's & K's are easy to get off the waiver wire (WW) during the season. Plus, the top D's & K's vary greatly from year to year. K's even more than D's. 2 years ago, Neil Rackers was the top K and he went undrafted in most leagues. Then he was picked up off the WW in all leagues. Same thing happened with Robbie Gould last year.

Hope this helps & good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby benb18a » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:22 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Every draft is different and the starting requirements & scoring system could change things. But as a general rule, you should stock up on RB's & WR's in the 1st 5-6 rounds. Then grab your starting QB & TE. Then draft backups so you have depth at every position.

Words to live by for fantasy noobs. This is exactly what I do, and what most do, although some do like to grab the elite QBs in the 3-5 rounds. After I draft the best RB available in the first, I simply draft the best RB or WR available in the next 4-5 rounds.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:00 am

Thanks for all the help and info. I usually drafted in this order: Rb, RB, QB, WR, WR, TE, WR, K, DEF. I thought that it didnt make sense to draft backups before my roster was filled. Now I understand depth and why backups are just as important as starters. I found myself picking up a good team in my opinion by following your suggestions.
Last edited by a_cuevas91 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
click here, WHIR

a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PapaPark » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:08 am

Here is a really good thread about drafting

viewtopic.php?t=328722
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:29 pm

If ya haven't already, make sure ya read the following thread (Plindsey in particular really covers the draft well):
viewtopic.php?t=329323
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:48 pm

stomperrob wrote:If ya haven't already, make sure ya read the following thread (Plindsey in particular really covers the draft well):
viewtopic.php?t=329323

Thanks, once again, but i was also wondering if its a good idea to look at different cheat sheets, get player's rankings, then average them out to use as my own cheat sheet?
click here, WHIR

a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:14 pm

a_cuevas91 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:If ya haven't already, make sure ya read the following thread (Plindsey in particular really covers the draft well):
viewtopic.php?t=329323

Thanks, once again, but i was also wondering if its a good idea to look at different cheat sheets, get player's rankings, then average them out to use as my own cheat sheet?

Yeh, that's what I usually do - in fact if you look at page 2 of that link I provided I suggest that in my post in that thread. The Cafe rankings are a good start and there's other good ones out there. I also like to check:
http://www.footballguys.com (these are free right now, but closer to the season they charge)
http://thundermatt.com/2007/06/2007-tms ... layer.html (a Cafe member, does a good list every year)
Plus I use a pay site http://www.fantasyguru.com but a lot of guys here refuse to use pay sites due to the abundance of good free info (such our Cafe among others)
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:25 pm

stomperrob wrote:
a_cuevas91 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=329323

Yeh, that's what I usually do - in fact if you look at page 2 of that link I provided I suggest that in my post in that thread. The Cafe rankings are a good start and there's other good ones out there. I also like to check:
http://www.footballguys.com (these are free right now, but closer to the season they charge)
http://thundermatt.com/2007/06/2007-tms ... layer.html (a Cafe member, does a good list every year)
Plus I use a pay site http://www.fantasyguru.com but a lot of guys here refuse to use pay sites due to the abundance of good free info (such our Cafe among others)

How many cheat sheets do you think I should look at to average them out?
click here, WHIR

a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum