When to draft positions? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

When to draft positions?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: When to draft positions?

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:51 am

a_cuevas91 wrote:Thanks for all the help and info. I usually drafted in this order: Rb, RB, QB, WR, WR, TE, WR, K, DEF. I thought that it didnt make sense to draft backups before my roster was filled. Now I understand depth and why backups are just as important as starters. I found myself picking up a good team in my opinion by following your suggestions. If you have some time, you can check out my team by clicking here

The link doesn't work anymore. I did look at it earlier - not bad, but you could use more depth at RB - your starters, Gore & Bush are good but you could have used more depth on the bench. Caddy had a down year last year, so hopefully he can rebound this year. Jordan is a real crapshoot, but good value in the 15th - no telling how the Raiders plan to use him after picking up free agent Dominic Rhodes from the Colts after his great game in the Super Bowl, but he went and got himself suspended for 4 games so at least Jordan should get off to a good start - and Justin Fargas finally played like a real RB last year, and don't forget Michael Bush who was drafted in the 2nd round out of Louisville who could produce at some point this season - pretty muddled backfield.
Ya should have at least one more RB instead of going 4 straight WR's - you missed out on guys like Cedric Benson, Adrian Peterson, Ahman Green, Marion Barber, DeAngelo Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Jamal Lewis.
And I wouldn't have grabbed 2 TE's and 2 D's.
If RB Brandon Jackson (Green Bay) is still available I would grab him off waivers - I think he has a good shot at starting in GB, if not at the start of the season, very shortly thereafter.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:00 am

a_cuevas91 wrote:How many cheat sheets do you think I should look at to average them out?

I usually use about 3 - 4, but it depends. I prefer rankings that are a compilation of several people's rankings combined into one - so if you 3 of those type lists for example, you would actually have maybe 15 - 20 lists in actuality since they are in fact compilations of lists already.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby a_cuevas91 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:04 am

Thanks man, you've been a real big help.
click here, WHIR

Thanks "sigmaker" for the awesome sig.
a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FunWithTP » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:48 am

its more simple than some are making it... take the player that you think will score the most points every week. in other words, take the best player available.

a stud QB can absolutely carry a fantasy team as well as a stud RB can.

but yes, generally there tiers of players

1 - elite RBs, elite QBs, good RBs
2 - elite WRs, above average RBs, good QBs
3 - elite TEs, good WRs, above average QBs, average RBs
4 - all others, including Ks and DEFs
FunWithTP
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Champlain » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Champlain
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby tbagz » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:42 am

good articles ;-D, i'm new to the cafe, i think though if you can get a stud QB (peyton, brady, brees) earlier then the 5th, it'll go a long way.
i still hate the steelers...
tbagz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum