JOOOOOOOOEEEYYY CHESTNUT!!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

JOOOOOOOOEEEYYY CHESTNUT!!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: JOOOOOOOOEEEYYY CHESTNUT!!!!!

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:24 am

treat24 wrote:I actually turned on the TV at my in laws in time to watch it. Man that thing was pretty intense.

I turned on the TV, which was on ESPN, right at 1:52. I got to see the end and the eat off ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eagles21 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:39 am

Come on Joey!!!!! ;-D ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:55 am

New world record by Chestnut!! Woot!! :-)
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:57 pm

I watch this thing every year, especially after my time in the Navy and seeing it in person about 28 years ago when my ship was in the Brooklyn naval shipyards. BTW its a crazy party. I guess just like any where else you don't need something outstanding to have a big party.

We were sitting in Crabby Bills in Clearwater beach having lunch at the time. This has been a really nice vacation so far. got 7 more days before I have to go back to the real world.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:41 pm

Do these guys just ask the wait staff to ring up their bill when they get their entree when they go out to eat :-{ ?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby lmcjaho » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Kobayashi didn't compete (apparently he has some stomach problems these days - I wonder why?) but Chestnut did it again. Anti-climactic though as he won by almost double-digits while not even approaching his own personal best.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:24 am

Looks like it wasn't a stomach issue for Kobyashi after all:

Former hot dog eating champ arrested

New York (CNN) -- He didn't compete for the hot dog eating title this year, but he did cause a scene at the contest.

Takeru Kobayashi was arrested at Coney Island after his rival, Joey Chestnut, won the annual Nathan's International Hot Dog Eating Contest.

The six-time champion of the contest was trying to make his way on stage after this year's event, according to a representative for Kobayashi and a New York police officer at the Brooklyn precinct booking desk.

The incident was not a publicity stunt, Maggie James, Kobayashi's spokeswoman, said Sunday night.

"He got excited when people chanted his name after the contest .... so he jumped up on the stage because he wanted his fans to see him and (he thought) maybe they would chant, 'Let him eat,'" James said, referring to a dispute that kept Kobayashi from the table this year.

Kobayashi -- who took home the title every year from 2001 to 2006 -- did not compete because of a contract dispute with Major League Eating. He watched from the stands.

Chestnut won by consuming 54 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. The win -- Chestnut's fourth straight -- was short of his 68-hot dog record set last year.

A statement from the New York Police Department's public affairs office following the arrest said Kobayashi was charged with two misdemeanors and one violation, with the violation considered a low-level charge similar to a traffic violation. The two misdemeanors were resisting arrest and obstructing government administration (specifically, interfering with police). The violation was trespassing.

Kobayashi was being held at a police precinct in Brooklyn, and it was unclear whether he had a lawyer or when he might have bail set.

His spokeswoman, James, said it appeared that he would spend the night in jail unless he could get a hearing -- unlikely on a Sunday night and also a holiday night.

In the days leading up to the event, Kobayashi said he loves the contest and he wanted to participate, but that the contract was too restrictive. Speaking through a Japanese interpreter, he said that all his income is earned through competitive eating. He said the new contract required by the competition would bar him from competing elsewhere in the United States or Canada for a year.

Both sides said contract negotiations went on until Saturday morning.

MLE chairman George Shea called Kobayashi's arrest "unfortunate."

"It makes you wonder what his thinking was," Shea said.

"Major League Eating made an enormous effort to get him into the contest," he added. "We wanted him there. Nathan's wanted him there. The fans wanted him there."

Hailing from Japan and weighing in at 160 pounds, Kobayashi, 31, rose to frank-feasting stardom in 2001 when he devoured 50 dogs, shattering the previously held record of 25 1/8.

But in 2007, having entered the challenge with a jaw injury, Kobayashi met his match in Chestnut.

Chestnut, the 230-pound contender from San Jose, California, downed 66 dogs to Kobayashi's 63 that year. Kobayashi has not won the competition since, and Chestnut is currently ranked No. 1 in competitive eating by the MLE.

For a hot dog to be counted as finished, competitors must consume both the hot dog and the bun.

Currently ranked third, Kobayashi still holds world records for eating cow brains (17.7 pounds in 15 minutes), lobster rolls (41 in 15 minutes) and rice balls (20 pounds in 30 minutes).

"This guy did great things for our sport," Shea said. "He's a fearsome competitor."
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk