the noble man named portis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

the noble man named portis

Moderator: Football Moderators

the noble man named portis

Postby northcuttfan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:11 pm

a top 3 talent you can find in the 2nd round of most leagues many have forgetten about him because of "injury" and ladel betts concern heres why you get ur bargain basement deal turn into bill gates golden pony

ladell betts got to run against the easiest shedule after portis got hurt ..and put up over 1000.. figure in if that was portis..we would be picking him 3rd for sure

portis has his share of injureis last year just as any other running back ..he had over a year to recoever and should be fine

he has the same good online betts rushed for over 1000 last year in minimum games

hes 26 ..still plenty of years of good production to come

hes a great nab especially in a redraft league..

happy 4th
northcuttfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: the noble man named portis

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Good post, Portis is way undervalued.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:37 pm

Portis was averaging 100yds and a touchdown per game last year in almost half a season. That's 1600/16 over a full year, good enough to be a top 5 RB. Because he was playing with the banged up shoulder, he received only a shade over 60% of the carries in that span.

Now, even assuming all the offseason talk about getting Betts more involved is true, does anyone really think it'll be more than a 60/40 thing? I think that's a worst-case scenario for Portis, and those are the same percentages he was a top 5 RB in with worse QB play and in the first year of a new offense while playing injured.

Now again, even IF he gets stuck in that 60/40 split (probably worst-case) we're still looking at his 100/1 per game average he was putting up last year, adding a better QB, the second year in FF RB stud-maker Al Saunder's offense, and seeing a much healthier Portis. Even in a 60/40 split (again same as last year) I could see him IMPROVING on his 100/1 per game numbers from last year because everything around him has gotten better and he has gotten healthier.

If that split happens to be better than 60/40, the upside is limitless.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby sublimeandy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:47 pm

portis is clearly undervalued, no doubt about that. i'm of the persuasion that if you draft portis you HAVE to handcuff him with betts. betts will probably be a costly handcuff though. is portis worth having to take betts in an earlier round when you could be picking up a good player?
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mr.Joshua » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:58 pm

sublimeandy wrote:portis is clearly undervalued, no doubt about that. i'm of the persuasion that if you draft portis you HAVE to handcuff him with betts. betts will probably be a costly handcuff though. is portis worth having to take betts in an earlier round when you could be picking up a good player?

Good post, so what round will Betts cost us?...6th, 7th?
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:25 pm

No doubt, if Portis takes even 75% of Washington's carries, he will deserve to go much higher than the late 2nd or early 3rd round. The problem is... Ladell Betts looms and will continue to loom because Portis has proven he can't be relied upon to stay healthy for 16 games, especially under a heavy workload. I remember having this argument in the infamous Shaun ALexander v. Clinton Portis thread from a couple years back, just before Alexander exploded onto the scene and Portis had a sub-par first year in Washington. That's the risk you take with a guy like Portis, he's going to put up numbers when he's healthy but his chances of not staying healthy are relatively high.

Still... for a team that takes a WR in the 1st or 2nd round (or both) Portis is an awfully attractive RB to have that late in the draft.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:34 pm

bagobonez wrote:the infamous Shaun ALexander v. Clinton Portis thread from a couple years back

8-o 8-o

This never happened.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
bagobonez wrote:the infamous Shaun ALexander v. Clinton Portis thread from a couple years back

8-o 8-o

This never happened.

Haha... you thought I forgot! :-b
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:11 am

Mr.Joshua wrote:
sublimeandy wrote:portis is clearly undervalued, no doubt about that. i'm of the persuasion that if you draft portis you HAVE to handcuff him with betts. betts will probably be a costly handcuff though. is portis worth having to take betts in an earlier round when you could be picking up a good player?

Good post, so what round will Betts cost us?...6th, 7th?

I'd say probably later than that in most standard re-draft lgs. I've been in 3 drafts so far and Betts hasn't been picked in 16 rds. I would say to Potis owners that you'd better grab him late in the draft just to be safe. If I were an owner of Portis I'd grab him (Betts) in the 10th after my first 3 rbs 4wr's qb and Te. Unless you are a big Chicago or Balt def fan. He'll be around late

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 am

Free Bagel wrote:

8-o 8-o

This never happened.

Chad Johnson is the consensus #1 fantasy receiver because he's so consistent. ;-7

As for portis... If I can get this guy in the 2nd round. I would do that in a heartbeat.

The problem I'm having is that FB is throwing around this 100/1 per game. That's 100 total yards and it's actually a little less than 1 TD since it's 7TDs in 8 games. This is just for clarification purposes, those are still good numbers.

100 total yards is above average for a first round RB. 7TDs in 8 games is a really great pace. If Portis could have gotten consistent carries in the 20s he probably would have been putting up Denver Portis numbers.
I think Seeing a Deuce/Reggie Bush situation is possible. When I say that I do NOT think that Betts is going to catch 80-90 balls and Portis will be left out of the passing game. Only the split of carries in which Portis gets 18-20 carries and Betts gets 10 or so. The hot hand theory might prevail in some games.
It's closer to the Priest/LJ split when they were both healthy, but I expect probably only 80 percent of the production. Even So, I think that tandem warrants a late first round pick along with a 6th round pick for Betts to be sure.

So that is the "positive" spin on the situation. Negatively we could potentially see their role flip flop. If you handcuffed Betts this is less of an issue. We could also see one get injured. This would up the production of the other back significantly. Not great if you have both, but not terrible either since it frees up a spot in the roster/lineup and increases the value of one of the backs significantly.

I'd rather have Portis late first round than Betts in the 6th/7th, but the handcuff option is enticing if I already have Portis.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk