the noble man named portis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

the noble man named portis

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: the noble man named portis

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 am

skibrett15 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
bagobonez wrote:the infamous Shaun ALexander v. Clinton Portis thread from a couple years back

8-o 8-o

This never happened.

[color=#BF4040]Chad Johnson is the consensus #1 fantasy receiver because he's so consistent. ;-7 [/color]
As for portis... If I can get this guy in the 2nd round. I would do that in a heartbeat.

The problem I'm having is that FB is throwing around this 100/1 per game. That's 100 total yards and it's actually a little less than 1 TD since it's 7TDs in 8 games. This is just for clarification purposes, those are still good numbers.

100 total yards is above average for a first round RB. 7TDs in 8 games is a really great pace. If Portis could have gotten consistent carries in the 20s he probably would have been putting up Denver Portis numbers.
I think Seeing a Deuce/Reggie Bush situation is possible. When I say that I do NOT think that Betts is going to catch 80-90 balls and Portis will be left out of the passing game. Only the split of carries in which Portis gets 18-20 carries and Betts gets 10 or so. The hot hand theory might prevail in some games.
It's closer to the Priest/LJ split when they were both healthy, but I expect probably only 80 percent of the production. Even So, I think that tandem warrants a late first round pick along with a 6th round pick for Betts to be sure.

So that is the "positive" spin on the situation. Negatively we could potentially see their role flip flop. If you handcuffed Betts this is less of an issue. We could also see one get injured. This would up the production of the other back significantly. Not great if you have both, but not terrible either since it frees up a spot in the roster/lineup and increases the value of one of the backs significantly.

I'd rather have Portis late first round than Betts in the 6th/7th, but the handcuff option is enticing if I already have Portis.

Where did the CJ thing come from, Ski?

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:04 am

that was mostly to tease FB. He'll go on and on about the inferiority of Chad Johnson if you let him. They're valid points too.

A couple of years ago Bagel was arguing really really hard for Portis when he just got traded to the skins. Saying how he wasn't just another Denver product. He was right... sort of. He just didn't account for the Skins line and their offense as a whole sucking so much. But he was right about the increased workload. It just didn't translate into success. So now FB is on another mission to cleanse the cafe of Chad Johnson.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:15 pm

skibrett15 wrote:that was mostly to tease FB. He'll go on and on about the inferiority of Chad Johnson if you let him. They're valid points too.

A couple of years ago Bagel was arguing really really hard for Portis when he just got traded to the skins. Saying how he wasn't just another Denver product. He was right... sort of. He just didn't account for the Skins line and their offense as a whole sucking so much. But he was right about the increased workload. It just didn't translate into success. So now FB is on another mission to cleanse the cafe of Chad Johnson.

HA HA, I see. Did ya hear that Plind?

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chidoy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:40 pm

He's definitely undervalued. Betts played because Portis was hurt (as you all know). Does that mean Portis loses his starting job? No. I see Betts being what he was before Portis' injury, a spell back and a 3rd down back. I would take definitely take a flyer on Portis in the second round.
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:53 pm

A strong part of me desperately wants to trust Portis but my mind tells me to stay away. I seriously wouldn't draft Portis unless I can pick him up well after his ADP.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sublimeandy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:06 pm

Daddymike59 wrote:
Mr.Joshua wrote:
sublimeandy wrote:portis is clearly undervalued, no doubt about that. i'm of the persuasion that if you draft portis you HAVE to handcuff him with betts. betts will probably be a costly handcuff though. is portis worth having to take betts in an earlier round when you could be picking up a good player?

Good post, so what round will Betts cost us?...6th, 7th?

I'd say probably later than that in most standard re-draft lgs. I've been in 3 drafts so far and Betts hasn't been picked in 16 rds. I would say to Potis owners that you'd better grab him late in the draft just to be safe. If I were an owner of Portis I'd grab him (Betts) in the 10th after my first 3 rbs 4wr's qb and Te. Unless you are a big Chicago or Balt def fan. He'll be around late

i haven't gone through any drafts, and i've done a bunch, where betts went undrafted. most of the time he is going as a teams 3rd or 4th rb in rounds 7-10 at the latest.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:38 pm

I think Portis is one of those guys people are going to look back and say "dang how did he get to the 2nd round", kind of like the top 3 or 4 picks passing on Priest Holmes in 2003 in every league because he was coming back from the hip injury.

But is there any concern about Derrick Dockery leaving? He was probably their best run blocker.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:42 pm

I love Portis's potential at where he is being drafted, but there is some risk with him. He has been dinged up the last couple seasons and is still recovering from his shoulder and a leg (patella tendon?) injury isn't he? I think the talk of getting Betts more involved could be a real threat to Portis's redzone chances and general production.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:10 pm

skibrett15 wrote:The problem I'm having is that FB is throwing around this 100/1 per game. That's 100 total yards and it's actually a little less than 1 TD since it's 7TDs in 8 games. This is just for clarification purposes, those are still good numbers.

It was never my intent to hide that I was talking about total yards, but I apologize if it came off that way. For the TDs, I was counting the 7 games he started and finished. I didn't include the game where he broke his hand in the 1st quarter, but as you said even if we include that it's still a pretty impressive pace.

And again, we're talking about an absolute downside here when he's playing. Personally I think he'll get more touches than he did in his time last year when he was often pulled from games when they got any kind of out of hand because of his health, and I think he'll do more with those touches because of the improvements around him (QB, 2nd year in Saunders' offense).

skibrett15 wrote:So now FB is on another mission to cleanse the cafe of Chad Johnson.

Just give me the word ;)

Azrael wrote:But is there any concern about Derrick Dockery leaving? He was probably their best run blocker.

Well, he DID go to Buffalo so that means he must've just been a product of the system or something, because we all know Buffalo can't actually find a decent run-blocker to save their lives :P
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:08 pm

moochman wrote:I love Portis's potential at where he is being drafted, but there is some risk with him. He has been dinged up the last couple seasons and is still recovering from his shoulder and a leg (patella tendon?) injury isn't he? I think the talk of getting Betts more involved could be a real threat to Portis's redzone chances and general production.

I don't know that Betts will ever be a threat to Portis's redzone chances....he's not really a power back at all and Portis has proved to be very efficient at scoring TDs himself over his NFL career.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk