Casual and Competitive?/ Mock Draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Casual and Competitive?/ Mock Draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Casual and Competitive?/ Mock Draft?

Postby a_cuevas91 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:42 pm

I play FF in the Yahoo Leagues (Any suggestions on a better place to play FF are encouraged) and I wanted to know whats the difference between Casual and Competitive. I've noticed you can draft at later times with Competitive, but that's it. Thanks.

I am also unsure of the whole point of a mock draft. I only conclude it is to see when players are drafted and when to draft position. Thanks.
click here, WHIR

Thanks "sigmaker" for the awesome sig.
a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Casual and Competitive?/ Mock Draft?

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:23 am

Mock drafts are basically just practice drafts - they give you an idea of where players are getting drafted on average - you need to do several to get a real feel for where players are going (rounds).
Casual and Competitive are terms Yahoo uses for public leagues - casual leagues are supposedly more for beginners and less serious players, competitive for experienced, serious players. Yahoo public leagues are flawed in their very nature unfortunately - a lot of owners abandon their teams during the season if their teams are no good which ruins it for the rest of the league - another problem which is particularly bad with early drafts is that lots of inconsiderate owners use public leagues as a mock draft with no intention of ever playing in the league. Yopu can try them, but don't be surprised if several owners don't stick around.
It's best to try and set up a league with friends, or if you don't know enough people who want to do that, check out the "Classifieds" here at the Cafe for a league that appeals to you, or set up a basic league and advertise it here for other beginers (just don't make them too "gimmicky", stick to fairly basic settings).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:37 am

stomperrob wrote:Mock drafts are basically just practice drafts - they give you an idea of where players are getting drafted on average - you need to do several to get a real feel for where players are going (rounds).
Casual and Competitive are terms Yahoo uses for public leagues - casual leagues are supposedly more for beginners and less serious players, competitive for experienced, serious players. Yahoo public leagues are flawed in their very nature unfortunately - a lot of owners abandon their teams during the season if their teams are no good which ruins it for the rest of the league - another problem which is particularly bad with early drafts is that lots of inconsiderate owners use public leagues as a mock draft with no intention of ever playing in the league. Yopu can try them, but don't be surprised if several owners don't stick around.
It's best to try and set up a league with friends, or if you don't know enough people who want to do that, check out the "Classifieds" here at the Cafe for a league that appeals to you, or set up a basic league and advertise it here for other beginers (just don't make them too "gimmicky", stick to fairly basic settings).

So you're saying I should do some of my own Mock Drafts?
click here, WHIR

a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:49 am

="a_cuevas91So you're saying I should do some of my own Mock Drafts?

Sure - you can do mocks at:
http://www.fantasyfootballcalculator.com
http://www.mockdraftcentral.com

I haven't used these sites myself, but they come recommended by other members here at the Cafe. It also helps just to look at other people's mocks too to get an idea of where players are getting drafted.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:06 am

stomperrob wrote:

I haven't used these sites myself, but they come recommended by other members here at the Cafe. It also helps just to look at other people's mocks too to get an idea of where players are getting drafted.

To tell you the truth I do not like mock drafts because when people make them, they have it seem like the perfect draft. For example, in a league that has 15 rounds, I've seen mock drafts show kickers going in the 12 round. In actual drafts, I usually see then going in the 9th round and around there. I personally do the "draft K and DEF in the close-to-last rounds". But I like to look at the yahoo, where i play FF at, and see what they show as the avg draft position for certain players.
click here, WHIR

a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:47 am

a_cuevas91 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

To tell you the truth I do not like mock drafts because when people make them, they have it seem like the perfect draft. For example, in a league that has 15 rounds, I've seen mock drafts show kickers going in the 12 round. In actual drafts, I usually see then going in the 9th round and around there. I personally do the "draft K and DEF in the close-to-last rounds". But I like to look at the yahoo, where i play FF at, and see what they show as the avg draft position for certain players.

Yeh, in a lot of mocks you're going to have knowledgeable guys drafting, so kickers won't go until really late. When you play in Yahoo public leagues, you wil always find guys that reach way too early for kickers and defenses (just like you will find guys guys who will waste picks by drafting 2 kickers and/or 2 defences and/or 2 TE's in public leagues).
Another problem is that some people who play in Yahoo public leagues use Yahoo's rankings and their ranking's are not usually very great and as a result some players get drafted way too early as a result.
stomperrob

Postby a_cuevas91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:51 am

Oh, I should only draft 1 TE? Well now that I think about it, TEs don't usually rack in a lot of points, so I should draft an extra WR or RB in place of that extra TE. I am going to make my own mock draft using info I got from Yahoo leagues, and see how it goes. Where do you suggest playing?
click here, WHIR

a_cuevas91
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PapaPark » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:35 am

Mock drafts are extremely important because they provide ADP (Average Draft Position) for players. This will help you when it comes time for you to select a player in that it will assist you in not "reaching" for players. You're not going to waste an early round draft pick when you have a feeling that you can wait a couple of rounds.

I'm a huge fan of Sportsline. We've had our league there for about 5 years now.

I try to stay away from the "Casual" leagues. I'm assuming those are the "free" leagues. They have people not setting their lineups each week or not showing up for the draft.. I hate that.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:21 pm

a_cuevas91 wrote:Oh, I should only draft 1 TE? Well now that I think about it, TEs don't usually rack in a lot of points, so I should draft an extra WR or RB in place of that extra TE. I am going to make my own mock draft using info I got from Yahoo leagues, and see how it goes. Where do you suggest playing?

Nothing wrong with playing on Yahoo - that's where the majority of my leagues are, just don't use their rankings. Before you draft, make sure you go in and do your own rankings for each position using rankings from here and other credible sources as a guide. You can reset Yahoo's rankings to your own and it's much easier come draft day if you have pre-ranked as you will have everyone ranked in the order they should be drafted for their respective position (therefore you just have to decide what position to draft each round and the next player in line for that position will always be ready for you).

And yeh, no point in drafing an extra TE that's just gonna sit on your bench - better to pick up an extra RB or WR or even QB (in some leagues I only draft one QB if I land a really solid one, but usually I don't select a QB early enough for that strategy). When it comes for your bye week for your TE, you will have have to drop someone at that time to pick up a TE to fill in for that week (usually by that time you will have found someone on your team who is expendable). The only time I ever draft a second TE is if there is a really solid one left at the end draft (that could be used as trade bait, or mine has an early bye week) and the pickings are pretty slim at the other positions (or my needs aren't great at the other positions).
stomperrob

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:10 am

Competitive is typically a higher level of play, and if you are going to do a public league, that's what I'd advise since you are more likely to get active owners, although I would suggest a cafe league over a public league if you think you can handle a higher level of competition.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Beginner's Forum