Cafe Brainiacs: Need help creating a FF schedule - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cafe Brainiacs: Need help creating a FF schedule

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cafe Brainiacs: Need help creating a FF schedule

Postby biju » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:35 pm

There are tons of schedule creation tools out on the web, but none seem to fit what I need. I'm hoping someone here at the Cafe can help.

This is a 14 team league with two divisions. Each team is to play every team once (13 games) plus an extra game each for divisional opponents. This totals 19 games played. Obviously there isn't 19 games per season so that means we'll need to have 6 double-header weeks (weeks 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13).

Does anybody have this type of schedule already drawn up, or is there a simple algorithm that would achieve this?

My undying praise will go out to you if you can figure this out for me.

Thanks! ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cafe Brainiacs: Need help creating a FF schedule

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:39 pm

It sounds like you already have this figured out... I am not sure I understand your question...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:It sounds like you already have this figured out... I am not sure I understand your question...

Well, I have the basic understanding of how many times each team needs to play another team, but I have no idea about how to actually create a schedule based on this information.

I don't think it's just as easy as plopping down the games...but I could be over-thinking the whole thing.

Seriously, I'm starting to believe that while this sounds simple it's actually impossible to come up with an actual working schedule for a 13 week season. And doing this via trial and error is a recipe for making me 100% crazy.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to show you want I've done so far...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:29 pm

I can make you a schedule based on your original post ;-D Give me a little bit and I'll PM you with it
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby biju » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:31 pm

dream_017 wrote:I can make you a schedule based on your original post ;-D Give me a little bit and I'll PM you with it

I will praise your cafe name before our live draft... :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FF Newbie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:55 pm

This is very easy to do. Just schedule your regular 13-week everyone-plays-everyone-once schedule and then schedule your doubleheaders on top of that. To make it super easy, you should schedule the original 13-game schedule with in-division opponents on even weeks and out-of-division opponents on odd weeks. That way you don't have to worry about playing the same divisional opponent twice in the same week. Again, I think this is extremely easy, but here is a one-team example.

Division 1: Teams 1-7
Division 2: Teams 8-14

Team 1 Schedule

Week 1: Team 8
Week 2: Team 2
Week 3: Team 9, Team 5
Week 4: Team 3
Week 5: Team 10, Team 6
Week 6: Team 4
Week 7: Team 11, Team 7
Week 8: Team 5
Week 9: Team 12, Team 2
Week 10: Team 6
Week 11: Team 13, Team 3
Week 12: Team 7
Week 13: Team 14, Team 4
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby biju » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:24 pm

FF Newbie wrote:This is very easy to do. Just schedule your regular 13-week everyone-plays-everyone-once schedule and then schedule your doubleheaders on top of that. To make it super easy, you should schedule the original 13-game schedule with in-division opponents on even weeks and out-of-division opponents on odd weeks. That way you don't have to worry about playing the same divisional opponent twice in the same week. Again, I think this is extremely easy, but here is a one-team example.

Division 1: Teams 1-7
Division 2: Teams 8-14

Team 1 Schedule

Week 1: Team 8
Week 2: Team 2
Week 3: Team 9, Team 5
Week 4: Team 3
Week 5: Team 10, Team 6
Week 6: Team 4
Week 7: Team 11, Team 7
Week 8: Team 5
Week 9: Team 12, Team 2
Week 10: Team 6
Week 11: Team 13, Team 3
Week 12: Team 7
Week 13: Team 14, Team 4

This is exactly how I originally was going to tackle this. It actually isn't that simple. Of course, the first two teams work just fine, it's not until you get to the 8th and 9th team that you realize you've made a fatal mistake thinking that you can have just in division and out of division games and that they can neatly fall where you want them to.

I appreciate the time you put here, but this is actually much more complicated than what you think it is.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FF Newbie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:29 pm

biju wrote:This is exactly how I originally was going to tackle this. It actually isn't that simple. Of course, the first two teams work just fine, it's not until you get to the 8th and 9th team that you realize you've made a fatal mistake thinking that you can have just in division and out of division games and that they can neatly fall where you want them to.

I appreciate the time you put here, but this is actually much more complicated than what you think it is.

Actually, no, it isn't more complicated than that. You must have been approaching the schedule a bit differently (without realizing it), tried to rotate the teams improperly or simply made a mistake. You can take this exact same template, rotate the teams and come out with a perfect schedule. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do that for you, so maybe one of the other guys can help you out with that.

If you want, you can think of it as three separate schedules: a 6-week divisional schedule, a 7-week out-of-division schedule and another 6-week divisional schedule. All 3 are extremely easy to do. Just combine them in the manner I've suggested and you'll have the precise schedule you want.

The key is stacking the 2nd 6-week divisional schedule right on top of the final 6 weeks of the 7-week out-of-division schedule. That way, you're certain not to have any conflicts. It's not a matter of hoping the matchups "neatly fall where you want them to." It's a matter of scheduling systematically so don't have to leave it to hope.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby biju » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:43 pm

FF Newbie wrote:
biju wrote:This is exactly how I originally was going to tackle this. It actually isn't that simple. Of course, the first two teams work just fine, it's not until you get to the 8th and 9th team that you realize you've made a fatal mistake thinking that you can have just in division and out of division games and that they can neatly fall where you want them to.

Actually, no, it isn't more complicated than that. You must have been approaching the schedule a bit differently (without realizing it), tried to rotate the teams improperly or simply made a mistake. You can take this exact same template, rotate the teams and come out with a perfect schedule. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do that for you, so maybe one of the other guys can help you out with that.

If you want, you can think of it as three separate schedules: a 6-week divisional schedule, a 7-week out-of-division schedule and another 6-week divisional schedule. All 3 are extremely easy to do. Just combine them in the manner I've suggested and you'll have the precise schedule you want. The key is stacking the 2nd 6-week divisional schedule right on top of the 7-week out-of-division schedule. That way, you're certain not to have any conflicts. It's not a matter of hoping the matchups "neatly fall where you want them to." It's a matter of scheduling systematically so you're not leaving anything to chance.

I'll certainly give it another go, but the trick is the easy 6 week divisional schedule. Remember that there are 7 teams per division and there is no possible way for each team to play all the teams exactly once within 6 weeks. There are ways to overlap them, but not where they only play each other once.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful for the time and effort, but I consider myself a pretty smart person when it comes to these types of puzzles and I've already gone through this exact scenario on my first pass. It really isn't that simple.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FF Newbie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:13 pm

biju wrote:Remember that there are 7 teams per division and there is no possible way for each team to play all the teams exactly once within 6 weeks. There are ways to overlap them, but not where they only play each other once.

Yes, I failed to account for the odd number of teams in each division. In that case, the problem is a little more complex than I originally thought, but there are still very viable solutions.

For example, in week 2, you have the following divisional schedules:

Team 1 vs. Team 4
Team 2 vs. Team 5
Team 3 vs. Team 6
Team 4 vs. Team 7

Team 8 vs. Team 11
Team 9 vs. Team 12
Team 10 vs. Team 13
Team 11 vs. Team 14

Then in week 4, it looks like this:

Team 1 vs. Team 5
Team 2 vs. Team 6
Team 3 vs. Team 7

Team 8 vs. Team 12
Team 9 vs. Team 13
Team 10 vs. Team 14

Team 4 vs. Team 11 (inter-divisional)

In that case, you would simply move one inter-divisional game from the following week (when a double-header was scheduled) to the current week. This would be done for each team once during the year. Not every team would be in a double-header on the exact same week, but by the end of the year, everyone would have the correct number of games both in and out of the division.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk