Total Opposites? Maybe Not? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Total Opposites? Maybe Not?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Total Opposites? Maybe Not?

Postby Bravos of Steel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 pm

As I sit here with the impossible decision with who to keep over Willie Parker or Joseph Addai, I am sure to take in the most minute details, and anything that could be ground breaking for either team. Most recently, Mike Tomlin and his new offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians, have expressed interest in the majority of their plays being in the 4 WR set. Is it a possibility that this year's Steelers, normally a hard-nosed gridiron smash mouth running game, could see some flashes of the Indianapolis Colts, an air first attack, of recent years?

Arians has already created 60 No Huddle plays for Big Ben to run on the field, which is what makes the Colts so dominant, keeping the defense off balance and unable to adjust quickly to the type of offense in front of them. Now, I'm not saying Ben Roethlisberger is Peyton Manning, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of the similarly used offenses. How will this change effect Willie Parker? Should we see something like more receptions from him? And Heath Miller? I would assume Tomlin would be conditioning them to the highest power if they want to run like the Colts do, but are we seeing a revolution here?
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Total Opposites? Maybe Not?

Postby Munboy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:57 pm

If Parker loses rushing points, sounds like he should be able to pick them up in a PPR league. I don't know. I don't think they'll go 4 wide on a regular basis, maybe just more often than in the past. And with Miller lining up off the line, his value should go up.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PapaPark » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:57 am

I don't think that 4 WR set will last long for the simple fact they don't have that type of support.

Ward and Holmes are only two people. ;-D
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:05 am

I don't know Nate Wasington and Cedrick Wilson are decent options, and I believe Heath Miller will be lining up as a wideout in these 4WR sets.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Keep Addai....simple.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:34 pm

aaawall91 wrote:I don't know Nate Wasington and Cedrick Wilson are decent options, and I believe Heath Miller will be lining up as a wideout in these 4WR sets.

Yea, Washington and Wilson both were very solid last year and stepped up in some of the games that Ward couldn't play in and they are planning on using Heath Miller both in the slot (like the Colts use Dallas Clark) and split out wide on some occasions.

Really though, they have said that despite going to more of a spread formation that they are planning on still being a team focused on running the football. Tomlin has said himself that he's a "smashmouth" kind of guy meaning he likes to run the ball and play good defense. This offensive approach simply keeps defenses from being able to pile up 8 men in the box every play and it will also allow Parker to better use his speed with a little more room to run with. I think you'll also see more dump offs and screen passes to Parker this year as well.

All in all, I really like what the Steelers are planning to do this year on offense both as a Steelers fan and as an owner of any offensive players on the Steelers this year. I think they will all benefit from a more productive offense overall rather than the pretty predictable offense they ran last season. I think Parker is in for a big year this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Crippler » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:08 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:Keep Addai....simple.

Bingo!

Dont dig too deep into this, I think Addai is the best choice

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Crippler wrote:

Bingo!

I think he's probably looking for more of a discussion of what people expect in this situation rather than just who he should keep....if that's what he wanted he probably would have posted this in the draft, trade, keeper forum instead of the leftovers.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:32 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Crippler wrote:

Bingo!

I think he's probably looking for more of a discussion of what people expect in this situation rather than just who he should keep....if that's what he wanted he probably would have posted this in the draft, trade, keeper forum instead of the leftovers.

Ok no problem. I think Addai is a better pick because he will give you more fantasy points, and the more fantasy points you have, the more you will win. Done. Signed, sealed, delivered.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:30 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:
mattb47 wrote:I think he's probably looking for more of a discussion of what people expect in this situation rather than just who he should keep....if that's what he wanted he probably would have posted this in the draft, trade, keeper forum instead of the leftovers.

Ok no problem. I think Addai is a better pick because he will give you more fantasy points, and the more fantasy points you have, the more you will win. Done. Signed, sealed, delivered.

Alright....that response completely missed the point altogether in what seems to be an attempt to be funny and really helped the original poster in no way whatsoever with his questions. The "situation" that was brought up was about the Pittsburgh offense and changes that are being made there. Like perhaps answering some of these questions:

How will this change effect Willie Parker? Should we see something like more receptions from him? And Heath Miller? I would assume Tomlin would be conditioning them to the highest power if they want to run like the Colts do, but are we seeing a revolution here?

Like I said, if he wanted a discussion and answer just about who he should choose, he would have posted it in the draft, waiver, and keeper forum instead of this one. I'm struggling to see where that point was missed when you just quoted me.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk