Julius Jones vs. Marion Barber (Who has a better year?) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Julius Jones vs. Marion Barber (Who has a better year?)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which Dallas RB would you draft first this year? (Please post and explain your answer)

I would take Jones first
29%
I would take Barber first
54%
I'd draft them pretty much in the same spot
17%

Total votes : 41

Julius Jones vs. Marion Barber (Who has a better year?)

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 am

To me, this is one of the more intriguing RBBCs this year. We know both Deuce and Bush will do well and most of the other RBBCs are a bit more one-sided, but Jones and Barber should be a very good 1-2 combo and either could legitimately emerge as the top back. How do you see these guys being used this year? Will JJ be the primary rusher and Barber the 3rd down and goalline guy? Will JJ get any carries inside the 10 at all or will it be a lot like last year? Will Barber get 30-40% of the carries or will he be more of a change of pace back? Or will he take over the job full-time and relegate Jones to backup status and spot duty? Who do you see emerging as the more valuable fantasy performer and why?
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Julius Jones vs. Marion Barber (Who has a better year?)

Postby PapaPark » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:24 am

This is one backfield I can't seem to put my finger on. If I'm not mistaken they are both in either contract years or opt-out years so they both have something to play for. Personally I think MBIII will have the better year.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:41 am

I think that Jones will have a great year. He was in Parcells dog house and MBIII was Parcells boy. Now that Parcells is gone i think Jones will get more chances to shine and i think he will. I think JJ will have the better year.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:50 am

deerayfan072 wrote:I think that Jones will have a great year. He was in Parcells dog house and MBIII was Parcells boy. Now that Parcells is gone i think Jones will get more chances to shine and i think he will. I think JJ will have the better year.

I tend to agree with this statement, although in reality we really have no freaking idea how they will be used. Thats why im staying away from them unless I have a draft late enough to know.

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:07 am

Barber seemed to have a knack for scoring TDs so I can't see why they wouldn't continue to give him redzone chances. With that being my suspicion I value Barber more than Julie.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Daddymike59 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:57 am

Barber is a Beast. Ithink this will be the year that the doubters will be silenced. JJ is a good back also but MBII is more of a consistent scorer. Let this be a for sure MBII vote

Tuna may be gone but Jerry Jones is still there

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:05 am

I would take Barber IMO.....he has a greater chance to score and is more of a hard nosed RB....the kind I like. But JJ is a decent value pick for somebody who drafts WR,WR as you can get him much later then Barber.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:42 am

They are both great backs and they've both shown flashes of brilliance over the last two years. I think we see a more even split of carries across the board with MBIII getting more of the overall carries than he did last year and Jones getting more of the goal line carries than he did last year.

I seem to remember a game last year (I think it was against Philly) where I was against the JJ owner (I had MBIII) and at the beginning of the game, it was obvious that JJ was going to be the go to back. Then a goal line sequence ensued with Jones getting stuffed on first down and on second down he lost 2 yards. After second down, Parcells called Jones to the sideline and chewed him out. I seem to remember it being something about the read or the lane he chose, but I digress. MBIII took a draw on the next play and scored easily. Pretty much from that moment forward, Barber was the GL back.

As temperamental as Parcells is, I could buy that JJ really was in his doghouse and will be a bigger fantasy factor this year with the new regime.

That being said, I think Jones, while drafted lower, will be the better value of the two backs, though I've observed that their draft positions seem to be evening out.

Therefore I chose to draft them around the same time. If I had the first overall pick and the 5/6 wrap came back to me and they were both still on the board, I just might do something crazy and take the tandem right then and there. At least one of them should have a very good year.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Daddymike59 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:48 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:They are both great backs and they've both shown flashes of brilliance over the last two years. I think we see a more even split of carries across the board with MBIII getting more of the overall carries than he did last year and Jones getting more of the goal line carries than he did last year.

I seem to remember a game last year (I think it was against Philly) where I was against the JJ owner (I had MBIII) and at the beginning of the game, it was obvious that JJ was going to be the go to back. Then a goal line sequence ensued with Jones getting stuffed on first down and on second down he lost 2 yards. After second down, Parcells called Jones to the sideline and chewed him out. I seem to remember it being something about the read or the lane he chose, but I digress. MBIII took a draw on the next play and scored easily. Pretty much from that moment forward, Barber was the GL back.

As temperamental as Parcells is, I could buy that JJ really was in his doghouse and will be a bigger fantasy factor this year with the new regime.

That being said, I think Jones, while drafted lower, will be the better value of the two backs, though I've observed that their draft positions seem to be evening out.

Therefore I chose to draft them around the same time. If I had the first overall pick and the 5/6 wrap came back to me and they were both still on the board, I just might do something crazy and take the tandem right then and there. At least one of them should have a very good year.

Crazy chit man, crazy I say.....................

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:52 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:They are both great backs and they've both shown flashes of brilliance over the last two years. I think we see a more even split of carries across the board with MBIII getting more of the overall carries than he did last year and Jones getting more of the goal line carries than he did last year.

5/6 wrap....isn't it the 4/5 wrap? ....1st pick....2/3 .....4/5.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk