Vista - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Vista

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vista

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:15 pm

I know there have been other threads on Windows Vista, but I want to hear in this thread from people that have used it as to what they think of it. I know there was a LOT of skepticism when it came out and there still is a lot, but my dad has a laptop with it on there and I helped a friend set up her laptop with it on there and I like it.... a lot. I didn't see any significant glaring problems with the OS in general. Ran smooth, and pretty fast even with the Aero interface on. Lots of annoying warnings and beeps, but they are easy to turn off with a couple of easy tweaks. ;-D

Anyway, both those laptops had 1 GB RAM and a Pentium Dual Core processor, so they were pretty good machines too. And that was Windows Home Premium. ;-D

Anyway, thoughts?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vista

Postby moonhead » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:24 pm

i'm running vista business n (x64)

it's been pretty solid. i tried to dual boot with xp pro (x64), but for some reason it didn't like that. anyway. the only problem that i've had with vista is that it will drop the wireless card if i'm downloading too much at one time. say, over 900kb/s. and that's just with a torrent. if i'm using microsoft file transfer manager, then i have no problem and get over 1000k/s. some of the drivers are a pain to find, especially in the x64 OS. all in all, i think it's fair. i only have 1 gb of ram, and it's been solid. a lot of people say it's slow, but i haven't noticed it being too slow. i am going to put another 1 gb stick in here just to see what it does. is vista necessary? no. is it fun to mess around with? sure.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:52 pm

moonhead wrote:i'm running vista business n (x64)

it's been pretty solid. i tried to dual boot with xp pro (x64), but for some reason it didn't like that. anyway. the only problem that i've had with vista is that it will drop the wireless card if i'm downloading too much at one time. say, over 900kb/s. and that's just with a torrent. if i'm using microsoft file transfer manager, then i have no problem and get over 1000k/s. some of the drivers are a pain to find, especially in the x64 OS. all in all, i think it's fair. i only have 1 gb of ram, and it's been solid. a lot of people say it's slow, but i haven't noticed it being too slow. i am going to put another 1 gb stick in here just to see what it does. is vista necessary? no. is it fun to mess around with? sure.

Yeah, most of that seems like problems that will be fixed in like six months knowing Microsoft. I won't but a new computer for another 6 months probably to allow for the bugs to get even a bit more worked out first. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:05 pm

Vista right now is utter crap. Use at your own risk, risk of heaving it out the window once you find out your favorite application doesn't run on it. Keyword to my post "right now".
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:18 pm

We got a new laptop about a month ago and I've messed with it a few times. Vista is OK. I haven't seen anything that makes me think it's so ultra-better that I would want to run out and get it.

Any tips/tricks for a newb?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:Vista right now is utter crap. Use at your own risk, risk of heaving it out the window once you find out your favorite application doesn't run on it. Keyword to my post "right now".

OK, so the point of this thread was why? What isn't working and is this for you specifically or second-hand knowledge? :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:51 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
mystykoekaki wrote:Vista right now is utter crap. Use at your own risk, risk of heaving it out the window once you find out your favorite application doesn't run on it. Keyword to my post "right now".

OK, so the point of this thread was why? What isn't working and is this for you specifically or second-hand knowledge? :-?

First hand experience buddy. It's what I do for a job, when a customer wants a certain application installed or if they need anything else. I can't remember what programs specifically that I personally used that didn't work but I got to tell you that they were ALL programs that I use on a daily basis and that I needed. Again, if you want Vista...go right ahead.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:56 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

First hand experience buddy. It's what I do for a job, when a customer wants a certain application installed or if they need anything else. I can't remember what programs specifically that I personally used that didn't work but I got to tell you that they were ALL programs that I use on a daily basis and that I needed. Again, if you want Vista...go right ahead.

Well, I am just curious because I don't know of any programs that I use on a daily basis that don't work on Vista. And I have used Vista personally. Just wanted an actual example. :-?

I know Microsoft Office, Money, and Works all work (as would be expected). Photoshop, Outlook, Internet Explorer, etc. all work. That covers most of what I use my computer for. The main issue I have heard from people is driver issues.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moonhead » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 pm

the only thing that i've found that wouldn't work is sim city 4. and i have a feeling it has more to do with my os being 64 bit than anything else. i haven't had any problems getting anything to run on here. drivers are the only issues that i've seen. oh, yeah. the webcam i have isn't vista compatible. oh no! don't use that crap anyway. the compatibility issues have pretty much been taken care of. most of what you were hearing about compatibility issues were taken care of before RC 2. microsoft was being a bunch of and wouldn't support itunes. now that's fixed. i do have to do some tweaking on my itunes, because for some reason it can't find my burner. which is a pain. if you're going to get vista go for ultimate. or home premium. i wouldn't recommend business. it doesn't come bundled with a media player. but like i said, any issues i'm running into is because i'm running an x64 OS not because it's vista.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to General Talk