Vista - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Vista

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Vista

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:09 pm

i bought a new computer a few weeks ago that came equipped with vista and i personally hate it. i feel like they went overboard with the security popups, and i have quite a few compatibility problems not only with programs, but with my video card. in fact i got frustrated enough that i went back to using my old, slower, computer because it has XP. i tried to reformat my new computer and install XP and get rid of vista, but it wouldnt let me downgrade. to me, it seems like microsoft spent all their time on the asthetics rather than the functionality.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:25 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:i bought a new computer a few weeks ago that came equipped with vista and i personally hate it. i feel like they went overboard with the security popups, and i have quite a few compatibility problems not only with programs, but with my video card. in fact i got frustrated enough that i went back to using my old, slower, computer because it has XP. i tried to reformat my new computer and install XP and get rid of vista, but it wouldnt let me downgrade. to me, it seems like microsoft spent all their time on the asthetics rather than the functionality.

To help rid yourself of those security warnings (which are crap :-P ) just go to your user account settings and turn off the User Account Control. ;-D

And yeah, the driver issues are why I am waiting to upgrade.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 pm

I've been running Vista for awhile now. No real big problems anymore. My favorite firewall doesn't have a version for Vista yet, so I had to learn a couple of new firewalls, and I had some issues with wireless due to my wireless card not being Vista compatible, but all in all everything else has worked just fine and isn't a big deal. Comp came with Vista Home Premium and I upgraded it to Vista Ultimate.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Popcynical » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 pm

I was recently searching for a new laptop and to my dismay, most of the better ones came packaged with Vista. Now, since Vista is so new, I vowed to myself that I would not buy it until after the first service pack was released... as I'm not gonna deal with all the security problems that are bound to pop up with the new OS.

So I got myself a Macbook instead. It's pretty nice.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:28 pm

Just found out that Vista doesn't come with Outlook Express. However, the Mail and Calendar programs look a lot more useful than Outlook Express anyway. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:37 pm

I've got no desire whatsoever to "upgrade" right now. Vista is going to go through the same "growing pains" that XP did (or anything else brand-new does now that we live in a world where instead of working the bugs out beforehand you rush it to market in pursuit of the almighty dollar), so I'm just gonna bide my time.

My Optiplex is old (especially by this week's standards), but she's served me well, and by the time she's ready for pasture I figure they'll have figured out most of the glitches. Until then...

It's XP or bust for me. :-B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:19 am

I've been a Windows guy for awhile, but with what I've been hearing about Vista (here and else where) doesn't excite me. My girlfriend bought a new HP Laptop (has the nice 180 degree turn radius, can make it flat/touch screen, yada yada) and I've messed around with it a little...and I haven't noticed anything that would...increase my experience with using Vista over XP...I think I may skip this generation of Windows and take the Mac OS for a spin, if I get the funds...when I decide I need a new pc.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby vitalogist » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:56 am

i bought my laptop last fall and it came with a free upgrade. i wish i hadn't upgraded.

immediately, my cdrom drive failed. i fixed it, and now its busted again. i think its a vista / itunes conflict. thats a big deal to anyone with an ipod. video settings are tough. only thing that plays video is VLC media player. finding old files and getting my old programs to run is a pain. i was VERY disappointed. at first, it seemed to run smoothly, and i like the new interfaces, but everything else has been an absolute PAIN. but thats just me...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Had to buy a new desktop and it came with Vista. I haven't had a single problem with it. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but it looks slick and runs well on my system.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:51 pm

My Vista runs like a dream, I have had no problems with it and aesthetically it dominates XP. I would highly recommed it. I have no idea what would happen running games and stuff like that, I just use it to download music/tv shows/movies, talk on MSN, and use the Internet.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk