Long-Run Value... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Long-Run Value...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Long-Run Value...

Postby Ronald » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:21 pm

I need to pick between Brady and Pennington for the rest of the season. Who's more valuable?

I picked up Pennington this week after hearing he was likely going to start next week. If I cut Brady though, and Pennington doesn't start next week, I'm screwed over due to Ramsey's bye...

Anyhoo, any opinions would be greatly appreciated. ;-D
Ronald
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 49ers Forever » Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:35 pm

Even when pennington comes back, can you really count on him as your starter? He is still on most FA lists in leagues that I am in. Everyone seems to forget that last year was his FIRST year actually playing in the NFL. Not that Brady is a veteran or anything, but I wouldn't chance Pennington and the potential for rust if it meant putting a decent qb on the wire.
49ers Forever
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby t-love » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:13 pm

Stick with Brady. The Jets may not even be competing for anything at years end.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Postby The_Dude » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:20 pm

I hate Tom Brady... he was on my do not draft under any circumstance list this year (along with David Boston)... for the mere fact that he put on the facade of good numbers last year... when in fact, he was inconsistent as all hell...

That said, there's gotta be a way to dump a bench player for one week to get ahold of Pennington and ride him out for a couple of weeks. He may or may not be better than Brady (and Ramsey), but you can't count on a guy who hasn't seen any snaps this year... don't drop Brady if it puts you in this situation... figure something else out...

But that's just like, my opinion man...

Duder

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:25 pm

Tom Brady went to Michigan. If you can name me one good starting QB from Michigan in the last 10 years, go with him. Otherwise I'll take a chance with Penny.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:28 pm

KingGhidra wrote: If you can name me one good starting QB from Michigan in the last 10 years, go with him.

ok, tom brady. B-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby machine3 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:53 pm

i'd go with pennington..he should be able to come back strong...the injury was to his non-throwing hand, so he should have been able to keep throwing throughout his rehab...
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ronald » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:06 am

Well, here's my roster...

12-Team League, 1 point per 20 yards rushing/receiving, 1 point per 50 yards passing, 6 points per TD.

QB: Patrick Ramsey
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Donald Driver
RB: Stephen Davis, Michael Pittman
TE: Jeremy Shockey
WR/RB: Troy Hambrick
K: None (will PU Josh Brown tomorrow morning)
DEF: Carolina

Bench: Tom Brady (QB), Chad Pennington (QB), Jerry Porter (WR), Marvin Harrison (WR) [bye week], Marcel Shipp (RB)

...And in case you were wondering, I drafted T.O. and Moss in the first and second rounds, and then traded for Marvin. And yes, I know that you're supposed to draft RBs first, but I missed by draft and had to go by pre-rankings; I also had the last pick, so... Just had to mention all of that because whenever I list my roster, a lot of attention is focused on the fact that I'm loaded at WR and things get a little off-topic... :-?
Ronald
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:53 am

Last year I had Brady and Pennington. Going into the championship game of my 12 team money league, Brady (my every week starter throughout the year) had been struggling and Pennington had been playing well. The Patriots were playing the Jets.

The Jets rolled, Pennington threw 3 TD's, Brady through only 1, and I lost the championship by 4 points.

Pennington is an amazing QB, if he can return to last week's form he's definitely an every week starter. Brady is too inconsistent to be an every week kinda guy. It's not unusual to see him with 38 yards passing at half time.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk