maurice jones drew Q? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

maurice jones drew Q?

Moderator: Football Moderators

maurice jones drew Q?

Postby bbalevic23 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:42 pm

I have heard mixed reports on this guy. Some are saying he is the goal line back with fred taylor getting a lot of the yards in between the goalines. Other reports say that Greg Jones, who is coming back from acl surgery is going to be the goal line back in Jax making it a 3 headed monster attack. What have you guys heard? what are your predics on the situation? thanks
bbalevic23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: maurice jones drew Q?

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:55 pm

Sportsline.com:

In an interview with CBS SportsLine, Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter explained that just because Fred Taylor is considered a running-downs back and Maurice Jones-Drew is a passing-downs back doesn't mean that they should be thought of limited to those roles. "They really did a nice job of balancing the workload between Fred and Maurice (last year)," Koetter said. "Fred's body has been through a few NFL seasons now and Maurice, in his rookie season, showed his explosiveness but might not be as effective if he was carrying it 25 times a game as opposed to 15 times a game. Because we do have a couple of proven backs, that gives us the luxury of picking our spots a little bit more for Maurice. ... (We don't want to) get painted into a situation where people can just brand us and say 'When Fred's in, we're only going to do this' or 'When Maurice is in, we're only going to do this.' We have to work hard not to get put into that position."
(Updated 06/13/2007).

The bottom line is that Taylor and Jones-Drew will split time, with FB/RB Greg Jones snapping up short-yardage and goal-line reps. Taylor should see a lot of rushing yards and not many touchdowns. Jones-Drew should see a lot of total yards (rushing and receiving), but it's unlikely he will match his TD total of 16 from 2006, thanks to Jones. Consider Jones-Drew a low-end No. 2 Fantasy RB worth a pick between Rounds 2 and 3, Taylor a No. 3 RB worth a look in Rounds 4 and 5, and Jones a decent insurance policy for both as well as a good reserve option worth selecting in the middle-to-late rounds.
(Updated 06/13/2007).
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks for that info aaa.... ;-D

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Yeah, I like how Jones-Drew is recommenced as a low-end RB2, yet he has gone in the first round of like all the drafts I've done this year so far. I have never been really convinced he was worthy of the first round, and this only reassures that.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby PapaPark » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:09 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Yeah, I like how Jones-Drew is recommenced as a low-end RB2, yet he has gone in the first round of like all the drafts I've done this year so far. I have never been really convinced he was worthy of the first round, and this only reassures that.

Where are you doing your mocks at?

Of about the 40 or so mock drafts I've done he has yet to go in the first round. At the earliest he's gone late second...
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:44 pm

MJD is obviously in a RBBC but Fred Taylor is in his twilight and prone to injury, and Greg Jones has only ever mattered all of 3-4 weeks in his entire disappointing career. I think Del Rio's job will be on the line this year, so he's going to have to find a spark if this team doesn't take an early lead in the division and MJD did plenty last year. I could see by seasons end a 70/30 split in favor of MJD with maybe Greg Jones in short yardage.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:56 pm

In a mock I'm doing as we speak, I got Jones at 2.6 after getting Gore at 1.5.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 pm

PapaPark wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:Yeah, I like how Jones-Drew is recommenced as a low-end RB2, yet he has gone in the first round of like all the drafts I've done this year so far. I have never been really convinced he was worthy of the first round, and this only reassures that.

Where are you doing your mocks at?

Of about the 40 or so mock drafts I've done he has yet to go in the first round. At the earliest he's gone late second...

Good question. I have yet to see MJD go in the first round, as far as I recall. He's almost always a late 2nd-rounder.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby lsufan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:48 pm

I am in a first year keeper league with 1 pt per reception(aaawall91 is one of the team members) and MJD went 1.10 out of 12 teams. I think it was a little high but I was definitly considering him with the 2.01 pick. I ended up getting SA at 1.12 and Rudi Johnson with 2.01.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FF Newbie » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:27 am

lsufan wrote:I am in a first year keeper league with 1 pt per reception(aaawall91 is one of the team members) and MJD went 1.10 out of 12 teams. I think it was a little high but I was definitly considering him with the 2.01 pick. I ended up getting SA at 1.12 and Rudi Johnson with 2.01.

Yes, he clearly has more value in keeper and dynasty leagues.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk