maurice jones drew Q? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

maurice jones drew Q?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: maurice jones drew Q?

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:33 am

Right, I failed to mention that most drafts I've looked at/done are dynasty drafts. but I still don't feel MJD is worth first/early second material.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:08 am

In a non-PPR dynasty league, I think he's early second round material. In a PPR keeper/dynasty, it wouldn't be ridiculous to draft him in the late first round. LT, S-Jax, LJ, Parker, Addai, and Bush are the definite top six in that format, but an argument could be made for MJD over Rudi, Portis, Maroney, McGahee, Alexander, and even Westbrook. Rudi, Westbrook, and Alexander are 6-8 years older than Jones-Drew; Rudi, Alexander, Maroney, and McGahee don't catch the ball.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby lsufan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:44 am

I would of probably taken him at 2.01 over Rudi but somebody snatched him up. Now im stuck with two guys that don't catch the ball and are pretty old for a keeper league. Maybe SA and Rudi will score a lot of TD's for me this year at least.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:00 pm

Goalline back? Naaaaa. He'll get plenty of carries between the 20s as well. I think he'll have a good year in yards and TDs, but as stated before, he'll go too early for my tastes. Just for the plain fact that if Fragile Fred and Jones stay healthy, his production is too big of a question mark in that crowded backfield. Not to mention the HUGE question mark at QB and underacheiving WRs.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Munboy wrote:Not to mention the HUGE question mark at QB and underacheiving WRs.

Eh, I don't buy this. This was obviously a problem last year, yet the Jags were 3rd in rushing yards, 2nd in YPC, and 2nd in rushing touchdowns.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:09 pm

The bottom line is that Taylor and Jones-Drew will split time, with FB/RB Greg Jones snapping up short-yardage and goal-line reps. Taylor should see a lot of rushing yards and not many touchdowns. Jones-Drew should see a lot of total yards (rushing and receiving), but it's unlikely he will match his TD total of 16 from 2006, thanks to Jones. Consider Jones-Drew a low-end No. 2 Fantasy RB worth a pick between Rounds 2 and 3, Taylor a No. 3 RB worth a look in Rounds 4 and 5, and Jones a decent insurance policy for both as well as a good reserve option worth selecting in the middle-to-late rounds.
(Updated 06/13/2007).

I am not buying the Jones theory that he's going to steal all the goalline and short yards.. He's a fullback. He has done very little if anything to show he is worth anything else on Jax than to be higher than their #3 back. Taylor will be splitting carries much like last year and Jones will get some work, but they are not going to deny giving the ball to their most explosive back, who is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball..

Not to mention, clearly MJD is and will be the Jags best goalline back due to his power, leg strength, and how low to the ground he runs.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby frogfan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:02 pm

In several of the leagues I've recently drafted return yards are a fairly significant part of the scoring...yahoo is projecting him with 1500 return yards, so he is up there with the first round backs in projected points under this scenario...has been going early to mid 2nd in all of my drafts thus far
frogfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Felix the Cat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:51 pm

frogfan wrote:In several of the leagues I've recently drafted return yards are a fairly significant part of the scoring...yahoo is projecting him with 1500 return yards, so he is up there with the first round backs in projected points under this scenario...has been going early to mid 2nd in all of my drafts thus far

MJD probably won't be returning many kicks or punts, the Jags started using other players for returns as MJD became more important to the offense, and they brought in Dennis Northcutt in the off-season, who will probably be the designated return man this season (LaBrandon Toefield or Alvin Pearman may see occasional returns as well).
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby chidoy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:15 pm

I guess I'm the only one who isn't exactly sold on MJD. I'd take him late 2nd or early3rd.... maybe. Dunno why but I still see Taylor doing alright even tho MJD will prolly get the starting job. Maybe since Taylor is splitting time, he can actually stick around. Of course this is just IMHO
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Felix the Cat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:27 pm

There's also a new OC in Jax (Dirk Koetter) who is rumored to be implementing a more pass-oriented offense.

(I don't really know who he's planning to use in the "pass-oriented offense"... here's last season's passing offense in a nutshell:
"Leftwich passes to Matt Jones... the pass is dropped."
"Garrard passes to Reggie Williams... the pass is dropped."
"Leftwich passes to Ernest Wilford... the pass is dropped")

On the other hand, since none of the Jax WRs can catch worth a d@#%, maybe this will mean more screens and dump-offs to MJD? He might be worth a bit more in PPR leagues at least...
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk