maurice jones drew Q? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

maurice jones drew Q?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: maurice jones drew Q?

Postby RudyBlue » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Jacksonville has a fairly easy schedule for RB's this year (as opposed to the QB and WR EOS for Jax); as someone mentioned earlier Del Rio's job is most likely on the line and he'll use whoever can score the most points for him; everyone predicted last year that Fred Jones would go down early in the season and he didn't but he will this year; AND finally if Delhomme does lose the QB spot (which very well could happen if he doesn't produce from week 1), MJD will become even MORE important and especially as a receiving RB. Most of the leagues I play in have PPR and I snag MJD whenever I can, usually in the late 1st and sometimes in the early 2nd if I'm close to the turn. His ADP in a 12-team draft with a TE requirement is #12, with CJ, S. Smith and P. Manning going ahead of him. If all 12 teams drafted a RB in the 1st round, MJD would be a definite 1st round RB. I like him. A LOT.

Blue
RudyBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Humpback » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:29 pm

RudyBlue wrote:Jacksonville has a fairly easy schedule for RB's this year (as opposed to the QB and WR EOS for Jax); as someone mentioned earlier Del Rio's job is most likely on the line and he'll use whoever can score the most points for him; everyone predicted last year that Fred Jones would go down early in the season and he didn't but he will this year; AND finally if Delhomme does lose the QB spot (which very well could happen if he doesn't produce from week 1), MJD will become even MORE important and especially as a receiving RB. Most of the leagues I play in have PPR and I snag MJD whenever I can, usually in the late 1st and sometimes in the early 2nd if I'm close to the turn. His ADP in a 12-team draft with a TE requirement is #12, with CJ, S. Smith and P. Manning going ahead of him. If all 12 teams drafted a RB in the 1st round, MJD would be a definite 1st round RB. I like him. A LOT.

Blue

Let's play "count the mistakes" with this post :-b
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:08 pm

Humpback wrote:
RudyBlue wrote:Jacksonville has a fairly easy schedule for RB's this year (as opposed to the QB and WR EOS for Jax); as someone mentioned earlier Del Rio's job is most likely on the line and he'll use whoever can score the most points for him; everyone predicted last year that Fred Jones would go down early in the season and he didn't but he will this year; AND finally if Delhomme does lose the QB spot (which very well could happen if he doesn't produce from week 1), MJD will become even MORE important and especially as a receiving RB. Most of the leagues I play in have PPR and I snag MJD whenever I can, usually in the late 1st and sometimes in the early 2nd if I'm close to the turn. His ADP in a 12-team draft with a TE requirement is #12, with CJ, S. Smith and P. Manning going ahead of him. If all 12 teams drafted a RB in the 1st round, MJD would be a definite 1st round RB. I like him. A LOT.

Blue

What? He's absolutely correct in his assessment that Fred Jones will not matter this year in fantasy football.
:-B

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/192233
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:23 pm

chidoy wrote:I guess I'm the only one who isn't exactly sold on MJD. I'd take him late 2nd or early3rd.... maybe. Dunno why but I still see Taylor doing alright even tho MJD will prolly get the starting job. Maybe since Taylor is splitting time, he can actually stick around. Of course this is just IMHO

I'm not sold on him either. I ended up getting him at 2.6 or 2.5 (can't remember lol??). Wasn't happy with that because Portis was taken the pick before I took MJD :-(
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Timbathia » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:47 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Humpback wrote:

Blue

What? He's absolutely correct in his assessment that Fred Jones will not matter this year in fantasy football.
:-B

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/192233

Maybe I am a bit slow on the uptake, but how does the potential loss of job for the Carolina QB affect the fortunes of the Jacksonville RB?
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:07 pm

I'm not sure who people are doubting Greg Jones' abilities...

Last year before his season-ending Injury he was set to be the #2 back for the team, but would see significant time in that role, mainly goal-line and short yardage among other situations. The coaches were loving this kid from what I was hearing and he was pretty much a lock to be the heir to the Jaguar runningback throne (I use that phrase loosely). In a role similar to that (but much more limited, roughly 160 touches) in 05' he posted 2 100 yard games (One against Baltimore which was respectable I belive), had 640 combined yards. In his first start of the season he propelled the Jags to a overtime-win over Pittsburgh with 77 ands a TD on 18 carries. This was in 14 games (had a neck injury), and he started 13 of those games, and 3 of those 13 starts were at runningback.

Now I know that isn't exactly overwhelming news, but its obvious the coaching staff has faith in them for short-yardage much more so than anyone else, and as we've seen sometimes when backs are very effective in their roles, especially when they are short-yardage backs, their role may be expanded (see Marion Barber)

Needless to say Jones is the only back this year out of Jacksonville I am drafting, and this late-late round pick I get him at is more than worth his value...he should be a touchdown monster at the least.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Munboy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:15 pm

aaawall91 wrote:I'm not sure who people are doubting Greg Jones' abilities...

Last year before his season-ending Injury he was set to be the #2 back for the team, but would see significant time in that role, mainly goal-line and short yardage among other situations. The coaches were loving this kid from what I was hearing and he was pretty much a lock to be the heir to the Jaguar runningback throne (I use that phrase loosely). In a role similar to that (but much more limited, roughly 160 touches) in 05' he posted 2 100 yard games (One against Baltimore which was respectable I belive), had 640 combined yards. In his first start of the season he propelled the Jags to a overtime-win over Pittsburgh with 77 ands a TD on 18 carries. This was in 14 games (had a neck injury), and he started 13 of those games, and 3 of those 13 starts were at runningback.

Now I know that isn't exactly overwhelming news, but its obvious the coaching staff has faith in them for short-yardage much more so than anyone else, and as we've seen sometimes when backs are very effective in their roles, especially when they are short-yardage backs, their role may be expanded (see Marion Barber)

Needless to say Jones is the only back this year out of Jacksonville I am drafting, and this late-late round pick I get him at is more than worth his value...he should be a touchdown monster at the least.

Sure, Jones did a good job, but you're leaving out the fact that MJD ran over everybody. Forget the fact that he's 4 foot 8, he's got power and speed. You can't just take him out of the mix because Jones is healthy.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:39 pm

aaawall91 wrote:I'm not sure who people are doubting Greg Jones' abilities...

I am doubting it. The guy can't stay healthy for much. He tends to get injured every year. Not so sure I would say he was the heir apparent, if he was, then they likely wouldn't have drafted MJD in the first place. He did have a couple solid games when put into the starting RB role during one of Taylor's injuries.

As far as the coaches having faith in him but i don't think your statement is accurate at all about "he coaching staff has faith in them for short-yardage much more so than anyone else". How can you say that looking at what MJD did last year? You are saying he wasn't successful in short yardage or goalline situations?

I don't see Jones being more than a fullback getting a couple TDs here and there... Majority still going to MJD. They are not going to keep their most dangerous weapon off the field that much in my opinion..
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Stelly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 am

I think Fred Taylor has great value at his current draft position. I've seen him getting drafted in rounds 9 and 10 in a 10 team league.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:32 am

I think I forgot to make something clear: I defiantly believe MJD will be getting a fair share of touches, I just think Greg Jones will have his chances to prove himself as well.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk