maurice jones drew Q? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

maurice jones drew Q?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: maurice jones drew Q?

Postby Humpback » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:53 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I'm not sure who people are doubting Greg Jones' abilities...

Last year before his season-ending Injury he was set to be the #2 back for the team, but would see significant time in that role, mainly goal-line and short yardage among other situations. The coaches were loving this kid from what I was hearing and he was pretty much a lock to be the heir to the Jaguar runningback throne (I use that phrase loosely). In a role similar to that (but much more limited, roughly 160 touches) in 05' he posted 2 100 yard games (One against Baltimore which was respectable I belive), had 640 combined yards. In his first start of the season he propelled the Jags to a overtime-win over Pittsburgh with 77 ands a TD on 18 carries. This was in 14 games (had a neck injury), and he started 13 of those games, and 3 of those 13 starts were at runningback.

Now I know that isn't exactly overwhelming news, but its obvious the coaching staff has faith in them for short-yardage much more so than anyone else, and as we've seen sometimes when backs are very effective in their roles, especially when they are short-yardage backs, their role may be expanded (see Marion Barber)

Needless to say Jones is the only back this year out of Jacksonville I am drafting, and this late-late round pick I get him at is more than worth his value...he should be a touchdown monster at the least.

I am doubting it. The guy can't stay healthy for much. He tends to get injured every year. Not so sure I would say he was the heir apparent, if he was, then they likely wouldn't have drafted MJD in the first place. He did have a couple solid games when put into the starting RB role during one of Taylor's injuries.

As far as the coaches having faith in him but i don't think your statement is accurate at all about "he coaching staff has faith in them for short-yardage much more so than anyone else". How can you say that looking at what MJD did last year? You are saying he wasn't successful in short yardage or goalline situations?

I don't see Jones being more than a fullback getting a couple TDs here and there... Majority still going to MJD. They are not going to keep their most dangerous weapon off the field that much in my opinion..

I pretty much agree with SNS. Basically, no one knows how the whole situation is going to unfold, but Jones has the most question marks out of the 3. You pretty much know Taylor is going to get his 200 touches (if healthy). MJD proved to be more than capable at short yardage last year, and he's explosive with the ball in his hands. I can't see how the coaching staff could have more confidence in G. Jones, with his 7 TDs in 30 career games, for that role over him at this point. I love Jones, I think he's a monster, but he's coming off of yet another devastating knee injury. If MJD wasn't there, then I'd have more confidence in him getting more of a shot, but I don't really see the upside in giving G. Jones all of the goal line carries. Best case scenario, he's as good as MJD (which he hasn't been yet), worst case, he's not as good, which hurts the team.

I know the coaching staff likes Jones, but with his banged up knees, the emergence of MJD, and the fact that that Del Rio has to win this year, I think they stick with what works, and work in G. Jones for a handful of touches per game. Of course, an injury here or there changes everything, and G. Jones could come back better than ever and win that job, but I don't think it's very likely.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RudyBlue » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:11 am

Humpback, you're absolutely right. I did make an error regarding the QB. Dang, I'm always confusing Leftwich and Delhomme. However, it seems to me that BOTH QB's are on the hot seat this year.

Leftwich has missed 15 games in the last two seasons to injury. Delhomme had issues with inconsistency last year and injuries didn't help. Both QB's are on a short leash this year, I believe. So regardless of which QB MJD is playing with, he's imho a way better RB than his QB is a QB. If ya get what I mean. :)

Blue
RudyBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 am

aaawall91 wrote:I think I forgot to make something clear: I defiantly believe MJD will be getting a fair share of touches, I just think Greg Jones will have his chances to prove himself as well.

Why do you have to be so defiant about it? Why can't you just have your opinion and lay it out calmly?

:-b

Just busting your chops...

In truth, though I see Greg Jones playing a role, MJD was just so good last year, he has to be worth a second round pick.

I still want some of the complete backs more (Portis, Henry, T. Jones), but when those guys are gone at the end of round 2, I'm not going to be upset to have to take MJD.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Humpback » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:29 pm

RudyBlue wrote:Humpback, you're absolutely right. I did make an error regarding the QB. Dang, I'm always confusing Leftwich and Delhomme. However, it seems to me that BOTH QB's are on the hot seat this year.

Leftwich has missed 15 games in the last two seasons to injury. Delhomme had issues with inconsistency last year and injuries didn't help. Both QB's are on a short leash this year, I believe. So regardless of which QB MJD is playing with, he's imho a way better RB than his QB is a QB. If ya get what I mean. :)

Blue

That and the Fred Jones thing- no worries, just messing with ya! }:-)
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby sweeper193 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:27 am

i got a quick question also.. are the jags gonna keep using MJD as a return man at all? because in leagues that count return yards he was pretty great last season
sweeper193
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk