Best Draft Strategy for this League.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best Draft Strategy for this League..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Draft Strategy for this League..

Postby ChiSoxFan95 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Okay first of all, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum; this one seemed right to me. And next, I posted a similar question to this a little while ago but didn't exactly get an answer so I want to try it again.

I'm in a Yahoo 12 Team League, h2h, I'm not sure of my draft position, I get it 30 min b4 draft time.

But the scoring is:
Start 2 RB's + a flex either RB or WR
All TDs are 6 pts
Passing yards are 25 yds = 1 pt
Both - Rushing and reception yds are 10 yds = 1 pt
Interceptions are -2

Here's my take on it. If all goes well, (no reaches IMO) I'll try and go RB-RB first 2 rounds. If I can get someone like a Marshawn Lynch / Deuce McAlister / Brandon Jacobs - ish type value (or better; obviously!) I'll take him as my 3rd RB cuz I can start 3 RB's each week.

Then after this, I'd check the abundancy of QB's. If the McNabb / Bulger and Co. were still there, I'd wait and see if they're there in 5. If not, try and get Hasselbeck / Kitna in the 6th or 7th. But, if ppl are reaching on Qb's early on then I'd say in the 4th and / or 5th get a WR and try and land Leinart / Rivers type value in the 7th or 8th.

Does the scoring in my league throw off any of my strategies that I'll probably implement in my draft? If so, what are they and is there anything that you'd like to change about my draft strategy?
Thank you in advance, much appreciated. This is my first year in fantasy football; any constructive criticism is great for me.
ChiSoxFan95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Draft Strategy for this League..

Postby iamgregg » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:46 am

It's my opinion that you should try to stockpile RBs. If it comes down to a choice between a stud or dominant RB over a WR, take the RB. I've been testing this in mock drafts and I've been regularly getting 3 or 4 (once or twice 5) excellent RBs as well as 2 or 3 very good WRs. In a league with 2 RB&WR plus W/R flex you should look to start 3 RBs unless you're covering bye weeks or injures (or even absurd matchups).

I agree with your QB startegy. Again, don't fall into the early QB run (Manning, Brady, Palmer, Brees) in the early rounds. concentrate on RBs, while making sure you get a couple very good WRs. Like you said, there are always solid QBs in the mid-rounds (Rivers, Leinart).

Try not to worry too much about WR depth, save for your sleepers. That's hopefully where your excellent RB corps will come in as trade value to shore up other areas of your roster.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Best Draft Strategy for this League..

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:53 am

So how did the draft go?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk