Matt Giordano Article - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Indianapolis Colts

Matt Giordano Article

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Giordano Article

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:41 pm

One guy I've always liked on the Colts is safety, Matt Giordano. The play he nearly made on Devin Hester in the Super Bowl is easily one of the most incredible efforts I've seen by a football player. Considering how quick Hester is, and how much distance he had between himself and any Colt defender, it's amazing to watch Matt Giordano nearly catch him on the play. He's done that several times in his career, including in the AFC Title game against the Pats.

PROVING A POINT

By John Oehser - Colts.com

Super Bowl Play Showed Real Speed, Giordano Says
INDIANAPOLIS - He heard about the play often this off-season.
It's not one for which Matt Giordano said he wants to be remembered, necessarily, but one aspect about it makes him proud.

Giordano? The Colts' third-year reserve safety?

The guy’s got some speed.

And if people around the NFL didn’t know it before, they did after the first play of Super Bowl XLI. On that play, Chicago Bears returner Devin Hester scored on a kickoff return, but what the casual fan may not remember about one of the season’s most memorable plays is this:

As Hester crossed the goal-line, Giordano tackled him.

From behind.

“Everyone said I ran him down, and all of my friends are saying I should have caught him at the five,” Giordano said during the team’s recent summer-school session, which concluded in mid-June at the Colts’ Training Facility in Indianapolis.

“I really didn’t make much of it during the game or anything. That was my job, so I was just trying to do my job.”

Giordano, a fourth-round selection by the Colts in the 2005 NFL Draft, said while he would remember the play more fondly had it not been a Chicago touchdown, it did help show what he long has believed:

That he has good speed. Big-time speed, even.

Giordano, a two-year starter at the University of California-Berkeley, was timed at 4.52 and 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his on-campus Pro Day in 2005. But he sustained a torn pectoral muscle that day, something he said hampered his speed.

“I’m not very proud of the time that they have for me as my 40,” said Giordano, who added of his Pro Day injury, “I still ran, and I think that’s why my time was so slow. I believe I’m faster than my 40 time says. I think I can hang with most of the guys in the NFL.”

In two seasons, Giordano has more than hung around in the NFL.

As a rookie in 2005, he played extensively on special teams, playing in 15 games and recording eight special teams tackles.

Last season, he was one of the Colts’ top special teams players, recording nine tackles in that area while playing more extensively on defense.

He finished the season with 25 defensive tackles. He also had an interception and a pass defended, and in December, he played a key role in one of the Colts’ most important victories of the season.

Having lost two consecutive games, and three of their last four, the Colts played host to Cincinnati in a nationally-televised game on Monday Night Football. Safety Bob Sanders, a Pro Bowl selection in 2005, was out with an injury, and rookie Antoine Bethea and second-year veteran Marlin Jackson were out, too.

Giordano made his first NFL start at safety, and he and veteran Dexter Reid played well enough for the Colts to hold Cincinnati - one of the NFL’s top-ranked offenses last year – to 278 total yards, 145 passing.

“It gave me a lot of confidence,” Giordano said. “That was just an answer to my prayers, to go out there and just to play. It really built a lot of confidence going into the postseason, and heading into this season – now I know I can play with the first string.

“I’m looking forward to contributing more on defense this year.”

Toward that end, Giordano said he’s “evaluating my weaknesses from last season and I’m trying to turn those into my strengths. And I’m trying to take my strengths and make those even stronger. There are a lot of things I could have done better after last season, after evaluating last season. Hopefully, I can improve on those and be a better football player for this team this year.

“I feel like I got a little better. Hopefully, I’ll make another step like that this year. That’s what my goal is, to keep improving every year. You can never be content at this job. The day you’re content is the day somebody’s going to be breathing down your neck to take your job.

“I’ll continue to improve and I hope to make another big step my second season coming into my third.”

Late in the Super Bowl, Giordano made another memorable play – this one with a positive outcome for the Colts.

With just under five and a half minutes remaining, Jackson was injured making a tackle for a 1-yard loss. On the ensuing play, a 4th-and-9 situation from the Chicago 47, Giordano substituted for Jackson.

Grossman threw over the middle to tight end Desmond Clark.

Giordano hit Clark hard, knocking the ball away and giving the Colts possession at the Bears 47.

“It’s a thing that (Colts Head) Coach (Tony) Dungy really expects and demands from all of us,” Giordano said. “If someone goes down, the next person is supposed to step up. They’re supposed to do the same job as that other person, or they’re supposed to do even a better job.”

That’s the sort of depth that Dungy said is necessary in the defensive backfield, an area that – despite the off-season losses of safety Mike Doss and cornerbacks Jason David and Nick Harper – Giordano said should be better and deeper next season.

“I’m

real excited,” he said. “I think we have a great DB (defensive-backfield) core. We’re all experienced and new guys who are coming in are going to contribute a lot. We’re going to have to make big strides this year and be one of the best secondaries in the league.”
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Matt Giordano Article

Postby Indys_time » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:08 pm

great read, except behind Bob he won't play much O:-) :-? :-/
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 am

Indys_time wrote:great read, except behind Bob he won't play much O:-) :-? :-/

One can only hope Bob stays healthy for a change. Of course, we all know how often that happens. :-/
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Indys_time » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Indys_time wrote:great read, except behind Bob he won't play much O:-) :-? :-/

One can only hope Bob stays healthy for a change. Of course, we all know how often that happens. :-/

I still stay optimistic :-D ;-D
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:14 pm

I wonder with that kinda speed if we could use him at CB?? I don't know a whole lot about the differences in playing SS and CB, but if he can chase down Devin Hester i'm sure he can keep up with 95% of the receivers in the nfl speedwise...
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Indys_time » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:28 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:I wonder with that kinda speed if we could use him at CB?? I don't know a whole lot about the differences in playing SS and CB, but if he can chase down Devin Hester i'm sure he can keep up with 95% of the receivers in the nfl speedwise...

8-o you mean 100% D.Hester 100 speed on Madden 08, fastest dude out there pretty much.
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Indianapolis Colts