how do you draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

how do you draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

how do you draft?

Postby baddhipp2 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:56 pm

would you reach for these players

So you can have The Respected #1 at each postion LT2 Keeper, Harrison (1st) Gates(2nd) and Bears/Ravens (6th) Regardless of who's on the board?

Or do you just take best available at any position?

Team could look like this.

QB
Qb
RB Lt2
RB
Te gates
WR Harrison
WR
DEF. Bears/Ravens

Can you win a Title starting with these players?

1pt/10 rush yds
1pt/15rec yds
1pt/25 pass yds
1pt / rec
baddhipp2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: how do you draft?

Postby poopscoop » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:07 pm

baddhipp2 wrote:would you reach for these players

So you can have The Respected #1 at each postion LT2 Keeper, Harrison (1st) Gates(2nd) and Bears/Ravens (6th) Regardless of who's on the board?

Or do you just take best available at any position?

Team could look like this.

QB
Qb
RB Lt2
RB
Te gates
WR Harrison
WR
DEF. Bears/Ravens

Can you win a Title starting with these players?

1pt/10 rush yds
1pt/15rec yds
1pt/25 pass yds
1pt / rec

I think you could win with that team, but I doubt that Harrison would be available if you are drafting serpentine. I don't like the Bears pick though!
poopscoop
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:01 pm

Harrison definitely won't be there come 2.12

It would be this

1.1 LT
2.12 Owens/Holt/Chad Johnson
3.1 Owens/Holt/Chad Johnson
4.12 Gates won't make it this far so you'd reach and pick Baltimore's DST instead of Chicago's DST.
5.1 Kitna

This is under the impression that LT will have another year like he did last year which WON'T happen. So this strategy will not make you anymore stronger.

You're going to be lacking big time in the RB department which would make you rely on someone like Tatum Bell / Chester Taylor for your RB2
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Crippler » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Ugh. Anyone who takes the bears in the 6th round deserves last place.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:11 am

Crippler wrote:Ugh. Anyone who takes the bears in the 6th round deserves last place.

Yes sir!

BTW, it doesn't make sense to draft Chad that high seeing how Tj Housh's numbers compared to CJ's in total points earned is so close....why don't you get a different player and get Tj in a later round for a good value?

TJ Housh - 1081, 9 TDs
Chad Johnson - 1369, 7 TDs

Think about it..... 2.06 vs 4.06 ...a whole TWO rounds later.
Last edited by mystykoekaki on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:15 am

I'll 3rd the defense pick. Don't do it. Draft for depth right there and just play matchups for the rest of the season. If you have a solid core, just come back here every week and look at Plindsey's defense chart and you should be golden ;D
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:19 am

I feel that if you use this sort of strategy you end up reaching for players above where they probably should go. I nearly always go with the strategy of my first 5 picks being RBs or WRs and nearly every time I take at least 3 RBs in the first 5 rounds. RB depth is more important than having the "#1" guy at a position, because quite frankly many times it may not end up that way. Harrison has a decent shot at finishing #1, but there are plenty of guys who could surpass him. Unless you're picking at the end of the 2nd round I would certainly be going RB with that 2nd pick and if I didn't go RB with my 2nd rounder there's no way I would pass on a RB in the 3rd. I personally wouldn't want to go through 3 rounds with only 1 RB, it almost forces you to take RB/RB in the 4th and 5th which means you'll have a mediocre 2nd RB.

And defenses should not be taken that early ever. Remember back 2 years ago to the Baltimore defense. They were supposed to be the best fantasy defense and they ended up being terrible all year. Many people wasted a high draft pick on something that even if they performed well they were taking too highly. Take a defense late and play matchups, you'll end up with better RB and WR depth and you can still put up great numbers on defense each week as well.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk